Stemler

willie

I see in the Indiana box score that Lance was 1 for 1 for 2 points. I hope he likes his playing time.

how the kid didnt see this coming is actually remarkable. one of the worst choices a recruitable athlete ever made imo.

I see in the Indiana box score that Lance was 1 for 1 for 2 points. I hope he likes his playing time.

I bought Vandy bball season tix with a big Indiana fan. Obviously, I always ask him about Stemler. He says he'll be a role player this year and probably not see many minutes.

I think the question is, does Lance even care. Some guys just want to be on a big time team...who cares if they play. Hell, just look at guys like Kuric at Louisville or now Roth at Indiana. They get told when they are recruited that they are a role player and MAY get some big minutes as a junior or senior. That apparently isn't a big deal.

They get told when they are recruited that they are a role player and MAY get some big minutes as a junior or senior. That apparently isn't a big deal.

do they? in stemler's case i dont think he was told he would become a role player his senior year.

do they? in stemler's case i dont think he was told he would become a role player his senior year.

I don't know the exact Stemler situation, so I'll defer to you on that one. But, I have read several articles lately where recruits are quoted as saying they are somebody's backup or will be a player to come in and knock down a shot. Apparently kids get told this all the time.

Just like the Alexander argument, if Stemler were here, Brad may still be here as well.

I'm thrilled that Rick is our coach,but I don't want to get into this Brad vs. Rick thing. I think alot of us would have been very happy to have kept Brad if he could have recruited.

Come on...the worst choice ever made by a recruitable athlete...?

Hardly. Maybe in terms of playing time only, but that is analysis in a vacuum.

in our little world here. the billikens.com community that we care about. what was worse?

in our little world here. the billikens.com community that we care about. what was worse?

With that extra bit of qualification, I don't think your statement is as far out in left field. It's still out in left field though.

How in the world do we know it was a bad choice? Maybe Stemmler is loving life at IU even though he's not playing a prominent role on the team. Maybe he hates it. Who knows.

I think that you will run into two types of players.

First type - I know that I will not play a lot of minutes, might be a roll player. If I am with a team that will go to the "Big Dance" then it is worth it. I might have a chance to wear a National Championship Ring. (How many players on NC or Duke are in this situation?) ( there is the "Bs" and "Cs" still get degrees thinking).

Second type - Don't care where I play as long as I get the minutes on the floor. I love the game.

There are probably several more types depending on the individuals ability and the teams that are looking at them. I am just taking a broad stroke of the brush here.

I think that you will run into two types of players.

First type - I know that I will not play a lot of minutes, might be a roll player. If I am with a team that will go to the "Big Dance" then it is worth it. I might have a chance to wear a National Championship Ring. (How many players on NC or Duke are in this situation?) ( there is the "Bs" and "Cs" still get degrees thinking).

Second type - Don't care where I play as long as I get the minutes on the floor. I love the game.

There are probably several more types depending on the individuals ability and the teams that are looking at them. I am just taking a broad stroke of the brush here.

3rd hand info, but I heard Stemler and his mother thought he was NBA material. If that's the case, I'm sure he didn't figure to ride the pines no matter who they brought in.

A few comments.

1) Lance played 16 minutes last night.

2) He played about 20 minutes a game last year in 2 NCAA tourney contests which is about 40 minutes more playing in the NCAA tournament then he would have likely played at SLU.

Yeah, that is the worst mistake ever!

A few comments.

1) Lance played 16 minutes last night.

2) He played about 20 minutes a game last year in 2 NCAA tourney contests which is about 40 minutes more playing in the NCAA tournament then he would have likely played at SLU.

Yeah, that is the worst mistake ever!

Oh, I see, I guess you are sure that Indiana would have made the NCAAs without Stemler and that we, with Stemler, would not have made the NCAAs ourselves with Stemler. Even with injuries to KL, we should have beaten St. Bonnie and Duquesne last year. With Stemler, we would have won both and then, most likely, some. We weren't all that far from an NCAA team last year without him.

I think that's a little unfair, broy. I know what you are saying and don't see it too, too far in left field as moy says but its more on the outfield grass and not very close to the shortstop. Anyway, its all pure speculation at this point. Who knows what the kid is thinking. Who knows if his mom and he believed the NBA stuff (I'd say yes, what kid doesn't think that way?) Who knows what the Indiana coaches told him. Its all water under the bridge and what we do know, that he is not a Billiken, is the one certain thing and therefore we should honor that by ignoring him. The shoulds/couldas/wouldas lend themselves to neverending arguments --- remember Blake Ahearn? It really doesn't do any of us any good to go off on these topics --- and with the inability to cement and cloe the argument, these threads live ad infinitum ad nauseum.