Majerus recap

Adman

Actually, can't believe no one is talking about this yet.

Tonight's the night. Rickma live at Busch Student Center.

Here's the line-up:

- 6:30 p.m. - Bratwurst, Hot Dogs and soft drinks (while supplies last) in the tailgate tent near Busch Center

- Doors open 6:45 p.m. to the Busch Center Ballroom

- Participate in Q&A with Coach Majerus ... (wonder if he'll answer any Memphis questions)

- Take virtual tour of Chaifetz Arena

- Get player autographs

- Register for Billiken prizes

I got answers to a couple of other questions I had from the Alumni office...

1) Is this FREE? YESSSSS!

2) Do I have to make a reservation? NO.

3) Do I have to be an alum to attend? NO.

4) Can I bring a guest (or two or three)? YES!

The Alumni Relations Department, SLU Athletics Department and The Billiken Club are sponsoring this shindig.

If this is anything like Rick's appearance at the MAC a month ago, this should be a VERY good time! I'll be there.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, can't believe no one is talking about this yet.

Tonight's the night. Rickma live at Busch Student Center.

Here's the line-up:

- 6:30 p.m. - Bratwurst, Hot Dogs and soft drinks (while supplies last) in the tailgate tent near Busch Center

- Doors open 6:45 p.m. to the Busch Center Ballroom

- Participate in Q&A with Coach Majerus ... (wonder if he'll answer any Memphis questions)

- Take virtual tour of Chaifetz Arena

- Get player autographs

- Register for Billiken prizes

I got answers to a couple of other questions I had from the Alumni office...

1) Is this FREE? YESSSSS!

2) Do I have to make a reservation? NO.

3) Do I have to be an alum to attend? NO.

4) Can I bring a guest (or two or three)? YES!

The Alumni Relations Department, SLU Athletics Department and The Billiken Club are sponsoring this shindig.

If this is anything like Rick's appearance at the MAC a month ago, this should be a VERY good time! I'll be there.

This sounds like a low key event. Somebody should bring a digital camera and record the Q&A portion for us. SLU TV or the Blue Crew should be doing this anyway...

This sounds like it will be a great event. I will be there and I hope that everyone who doenst have plans should try and make it. They are putting out the effort to attract more fans and we should reward them with showing and supporting. Plus its free.

This sounds like it will be a great event. I will be there and I hope that everyone who doenst have plans should try and make it. They are putting out the effort to attract more fans and we should reward them with showing and supporting. Plus its free.

Agree! When I asked if I could bring a guest, answer was "the more the merrier." I think they're looking for a nice crowd.

I cannot make tonight's event. If I could, I would like to ask if RM would consider opening an actual basketball event to the public.

I understand RM does not like to "waste" a valuable practice session with what can become a distraction or "circus like" event - Midnight Madness - and also that he pefers closed practices, but don't most programs have an open to the public scrimmage? Didn't we used to have a "Blue and White" game under Grawer? Anyone know if the Mizzou's Black and Gold scrimmage is open to the public?

Am thrilled the team played Memphis in private versus Harris Stowe in public but we now have even 1 less time to get a glimpse of the team.

Q & A with the HC, even if serving brats, are just not the same.

If anyone wants to ask this question and report back, please feel free.

I cannot make tonight's event. If I could, I would like to ask if RM would consider opening an actual basketball event to the public.

I understand RM does not like to "waste" a valuable practice session with what can become a distraction or "circus like" event - Midnight Madness - and also that he pefers closed practices, but don't most programs have an open to the public scrimmage? Didn't we used to have a "Blue and White" game under Grawer? Anyone know if the Mizzou's Black and Gold scrimmage is open to the public?

Am thrilled the team played Memphis in private versus Harris Stowe in public but we now have even 1 less time to get a glimpse of the team.

I can't make it either, so I'm hopeing we get a pretty detailed post on the event and what RM had to say. The good thing is ... Friday, we will get to see them play.

Is there a reason why you chose to use Harris-Stowe? Also, Billiken fans stay tuned for an interview with a Billiken coach on STL Hoops Insider. Anyone care to guess which coach took time out to share with STL Hoops Insider?

Lots and lots of info to share. I will do more of a bullet point. Someone else can provide a nice write up

1. Starting lineup for Friday- DP, KL, LM, BE, AK

2. DP has academic issues and won't play until he gets them in order

3. That wasn't a typo TL won't start.... he is in the dog house big time.

4. Danny Brown may be lost for the year

5. DM may redshirt.... Rick said he is working hard but doesn't really bring anything to the table

6. AM blew out his toe and might be lost for the year. He gets and MRI tomorrow.

7. Majerus had an undercooked brat.

8. he loves LM

9. Bryce had his first practice today

10. We are playing Notre Dame next year or the year after. RM really really wants to play other Jesuit schools and MIZZOU!

11. There is a recruit coming in on Thursday.... NATE?

12. We might sign up to seven players

13. Peyton Jacks in the other walk on.

14. he wants out of the A10. Really wants in the big East

I will post more as I remember.

Also... RM just had a very pessimistic view about this season. I really think he just wants to get through this season as fast as possible.

Lots and lots of info to share. I will do more of a bullet point. Someone else can provide a nice write up

5. DM may redshirt.... Rick said he is working hard but doesn't really bring anything to the table

6. AM blew out his toe and might be lost for the year. He gets and MRI tomorrow.

8. he loves LM

10. We are playing Notre Dame next year or the year after. RM really really wants to play other Jesuit schools and MIZZOU!

I will most more as I remember.

Bad news about Mitchell, many thought he'd play major minutes as a freshman. Not to nitpick but Dwayne is not playing due to grades and starting Friday???

8. he loves LM

I will most more as I remember.

You listed DP as a starter and then said he won't start because of grade issues????????????

Bad news about Mitchell, many thought he'd play major minutes as a freshman. Not to nitpick but Dwayne is not playing due to grades and starting Friday???

Sorry, I meant to say that DP will start only if he gets his grades in order.... Right now he is penciled in to start but RM wont hesitate to change if DP cant get his stuff figured out by Friday.

Sorry, I meant to say that DP will start only if he gets his grades in order.... Right now he is penciled in to start but RM wont hesitate to change if DP cant get his stuff figured out by Friday.

Interesting. Dwayne has had the rep of a good student to this point, from what I've read. Here's hoping that both Dwayne's shoolwork and jump shot are both stellar this year.....

8. he loves LM

Also... RM just had a very pessimistic view about this season. I really think he just wants to get through this season as fast as possible.

Basically none of this is good news, except for the recruit coming in.

Tommie not starting is not a good thing unless you believe in the long run this will make him an even better player. AM being potentilly out for the whole year is bad.

I can't seem how DM is red-shirted no matter how little he brings because 1) we have no depth whatsoever and 2) what does potentially adding another year for himunder scholarship help anyone?

Bryce had trouble playing 5 minutes at a time last year without getting winded. Gotta imagine its going to be even more of a struggle this year if he hans't been practicing.

We keep serving Majerus undercooked brats and he may just quit and return to Wisconsin!

8. he loves LM

I guess you only have to steal my girlfriend and kick my dog to have a good blues song. Ouch...tough news.

First of all I thought the event was put together very nicely. I think the Athletic Department deserves some credit for putting this event together.

The food started about 6:30 and Majerus probably started talking about 7 or 715 I'd say. A lot of the stuff has already been said, but there are a few things that I can add.

-Paul B was in Indiana recruiting

-Really sounds like AK is developing nicely

-Trip to Memphis was really beneficial, they are coming here next year for the scrimmage and possibly a game in the future

-Majerus really spoke highly of AT and Moser. He said AT told Majerus that he really wanted him to criticize him as much as possible so he could be the best coach possible

-Coach raves about Luke

Hopefully the injury to Mitchell isn't as bad as they are fearing. It sounds like Majerus really thought he could help right away. Also we really need Tommie to figure out what Coach wants of him, cause if he isn't playing combined with all the other injuries/problems this team is facing right now we are looking at one hell of a long year!

"Is there a reason why you chose to use Harris-Stowe?"

Probably because we have played Harris-Stowe in the past as one of our exhibition games and that doesn't come close in comparison to playing a top 5 team like Memphis in getting the team ready for the season.

:mellow: I really hope Majerus is playing the expectations game....

Everyone needs to keep in mind that the tone, puffery, and flow of information under the Majerus regime are totally different than anything we are used to at SLU. In year's past, we had Soderberg talking about how great his guys were and getting himself and the loyal fans psyched up for the season. On top of that, under Romar/Soderberg some of the more optimistic posters would give glowing practice reports from time to time to keep us all upbeat going into the season. These days, the only flow of information coming to the fans is from an eccentric coaching genius who is also a perfectionist and a vocal critic of his own program and players. Don't let Rick fool you--he knows what he is doing. He also knows how far he can push a guy like Liddell, and when he has to pull back for the good of the team. When the season gets going, we are going to see Rick put a team out on the floor that is better skilled, disciplined, and prepared than any we have seen before at SLU. We are also going to see game plans and in-game adjustments that help compensate for lack of depth and other personnel limitations. It is going to be fun and interesting.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that the tone, puffery, and flow of information under the Majerus regime are totally different than anything we are used to at SLU. In year's past, we had Soderberg talking about how great his guys were and getting himself and the loyal fans psyched up for the season. On top of that, under Romar/Soderberg some of the more optimistic posters would give glowing practice reports from time to time to keep us all upbeat going into the season. These days, the only flow of information coming to the fans is from an eccentric coaching genius who is also a perfectionist and a vocal critic of his own program and players. Don't let Rick fool you--he knows what he is doing. He also knows how far he can push a guy like Liddell, and when he has to pull back for the good of the team. When the season gets going, we are going to see Rick put a team out on the floor that is better skilled, disciplined, and prepared than any we have seen before at SLU. We are also going to see game plans and in-game adjustments that help compensate for lack of depth and other personnel limitations. It is going to be fun and interesting.

Great post nark....its that kind of educated perspective that we needed on this thread....people were getting themselves in a panic for no reason.

Is there a reason why you chose to use Harris-Stowe? Also, Billiken fans stay tuned for an interview with a Billiken coach on STL Hoops Insider. Anyone care to guess which coach took time out to share with STL Hoops Insider?

Yes. Didn't we play Harris Stowe last year along with UMSL? Therefore, we are replacing Harris Stowe with Memphis this year.

Now that I think about it, now believe we may have played Harris Stowe 2 years ago and Maryville last year. Same point.

V. No insult intended toward Stowe.

Living in the DFW Metroplex the last three years I watched Bill Parcells execute this type of thing. I grew tired of his schtick mostly because he wasn't winning enough (he never won without Bellicheck). Majerus is more likeable, I think. He is pushing buttons of players conducting perception management and does it well.

One of my main compliants since Romar left is that we did not have an adequate salesman for the program. Soderberg while likeable was bland. To be big time you need some personality.

I'm pumped about this year. Hopefully AK can be a force.

Great post nark....its that kind of educated perspective that we needed on this thread....people were getting themselves in a panic for no reason.

Sounds like RM will have a talk with DM telling him he doesn't have the tools to compete at this level. We can't sign 7 unless someone and leaves and everything points to DM as being the person designated to leave. RM doesn't sound like he allows scholarships to be wasted on players with no chance to contribute. Thankfully the days of banking scholarships are gone.