Bryant

expert

I've been a huge billiken fan for about 15 years and am really frustrated. Many many times we "play with" the quality programs but rarely ever beat one. Maybe, one or two times per year. It always comes down to lack of horses on our part. I'm a frustrated al the way around. 1) we absolutley don't have any scorers outside of Bryant and Fischer. Reggie cam here because he wanted to be in a program where he could be the "go-to" guy. Well, he is. But, where I'm frustrated is his strength. He is just not physically strong enough to carry a load like this. I can't believe after transferring for thsi reason and being required to lay out a year, that he didn't hit the weights. He should have picked up 15-20 pounds in this year. then, he could have lasted. Many times his passes are so soft and weak, they are picked off before he even throws them. As for Fischer, he has the strength and scoring ability but I can't figure out why he doesn't get more touches. I now he's saddled with running the point. This teams stays in the ballgame by playing great "D" but loses most because it doesn't ahve any offense. Here's what I'd do.........

1) Continue as with Reggie. But, I'd tell him if he ever wants to go anywhere next year with this team or have any future after SLU, pick up 15 pounds over the summer.

2) Fischer takes 12-15 shots EVERY game

3) I.O. plays 30-35 minutes and gets at least 10-12 shots.

That's all I have for now, but those to me are the OBVIOUS'

If you're such an "expert" you should let the coaches make the decision regarding playing time, players bulking up, the type of offense to run, etc.

By the way, even an "expert" would know that bulking up too much will change a players shot. Reggie has a sweet stroke, one he's honed over the years. If he puts on 15 pounds much of it will be in his chest and it would likely have a negative effect on his shot. I don't think we want that.

the best thing that would help reggie in his ability to "carry the team", is for him to get a couple more players that can score like him. claggett was never huge, but he had h waldman and scott highmark to take a lot of pressure off him. once we get some other CONSISTENT scorers, then reggie will be fine. btw, those scorers might already be there in the form of frericks and izik, but they need to step up everynight.

reggie is already 15-20 pounds heavier than he was when he arrived here from villanova. that is why he is leading the league in scoring right now. despite the fact that he is in a 3-point shooting slump, he is still scoring because he is taking the ball to the basket and scoring on shot jumpers, drives and post-ups. he does turn it over a little, but that was his problem all along that he needs to improve on.

reggie is fine, he is one of the top shooting guards in the league. the problem is that he is all we have when we start playing the upper echelon teams (especially on the road). opposing teams have been rotating numbers of athletes on him to tire him out. last nite, they had four different guys guarding him, ending with carney who is 6'7" and a great athlete. we need other guys to score. he is carrying us fine, but he needs help. we've been stuck in this one-horse rut for years and that is not the answer to winning consistently in c-usa, especially now because the league is as strong as ever.

izik was having a good game, but brad won't let him play. he must have something against izik. it makes no sense for him to play less than 20 minutes a game against the most athletic teams in the league. he had 10 points in 18 minutes on saturday. he was the only one who can get anything done inside without having his shot swatted. brad is going to have to come to some kind of understanding about playing izik.

playing a marginal player like drejaj, who is no offensive threat for nearly 30 minutes against these athletics league teams is simply ridiculous. we won't be anybody that's any good, especially on the road.

bad boyz for life

Ever heard of Marquee Perry? Look around, man. I'm a fan of Reggie's but he's weak, very weak. He's 6'2" tall and listed as 185 pounds. I'd say he's closer to 180. Even at 185, 15 pounds would put him at 6'2", 200 pounds. By the way, those are Fischers measurements. You are saying that he's to bulky...please. Unless you're caught in some sort of time warp from the 70's where lifting was discouraged Reggie has to. If you think that adding this weight will mess up a shot, you've never trained, lifted or hooped. It can be done and is done every day. Is it done in 2 weeks? No. But Reggie had a 22 months layoff. That's about 7 pounds per year. It's 2004!

I agree ... Reggie could hit the weights more ...but he should not try to get as big as Josh ... he has a different frame than Josh. Look at their shoulders. Another 5-7 pounds would be about right for him.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

larry hughes was the freshman of the year at 6'5" and 185 lbs. to this day he only weighs around 190.

travis diener weighs 165 lbs.

chris duhon of duke weighs 185 lbs

taquan dean at louisville is listed at 6'3" and 175 lbs

field williams at cincy is 6'4" and 185 lbs

dee brown at illinois is listed at 175 lbs

devon harris, the probable big 10 poy, is listed at 6'4" and 185 lbs.

none of the uab guards that dominated the billikens weigh over 180 lbs. and the taylor twins are 6'6" tall!

i could go on, but it is obvious your "too skinny" comment is so out of line it is ridiculous. if your 185 mark is the dividing line, there are an awful lot of high division one teams that are too skinny.

I just ran across this post, but you hit the nail on the head. Reg has gained weight, he's no longer 185lbs, He's appx. almost 200lbs. Coach has in him the weight room constantly.

Reg has been lifting for years, I mean years, he's been told to put on weight since High School, it was only his sitting out that year that acutally did the trick.

I think Reg needs to take more of a leadership role on the team, once he does that, I think they'll pull together. Reg knows his role and plays it, but he needs to change his role and become a vocal leader for his team. Naturally he encourages the guys and his a good friend but he needs to spark a light under them to get them motivated. Trust me when I tell u that this change is hard for him. He's not a very talkative person, he's quiet and loyal. He doesn't get real serious, doesn't have a mean bone in his body and rarely yells. So he's moving and growing with the team. He's not where any of us know he could be, because he's very talented, but he's getting there.

You've must have seen an old profile or the site isn't updated, Reg no longer weighs 185 lbs, he's put on almost 15 lbs. It isn't fair to assume that because he comes from the Big East etc....that he should already be where u think he should be....."he's just where he's at" a little ebonics, but u get the drift :) He must still learn and he's maturing everyday. Honestly he wanted to be the go to guy, but he expected everyone to perform and I know he didn't think he would be the only one scoring. So to put that on his shoulders is new to him. So as in anything new, u learn by experience. Some of us are forgetting that. Reg is very strong, he can dunk, he can run, he can pass the ball, but he hasn't had is best game yet this season. Trust me, he hasn't.

Reg is gonna have to step up as a leader on this team. He's gonna have to get tough and pump his team up and that's new for him. He's used to teams being pumped already, he's not used to people being afraid of what others may think, so they don't shoot the ball, or used to players zapping out because they get fouled, he encourages the guys, but now it's time for him to motivate these guys to channel their anger, insecurities into the games and play hard every game. Reg being a quiet person, not talkative etc.........it's a big change.

He shouldn't have to change his personality, u're correct, but he's gonna have to incorporate some changes to better what qualities he already has. If Reg wants to make it to the next level, he almost has to do that. I think it will work with this team, because he's cool with all the players, they all look to him for advice....he's far from having a "big head" and he listens to the guys. So I think he's in a position to lead this team, not just in scoring but in all aspects of "team ball". As u can see, he didn't get that quietness from his Big Sis :)

I agree Izik is the key. Somebody help me out why doesn't he play more? He's cut down his tournovers,his defense doesn't seem that bad to me,his offensive rebounding is very good. I would like to see him become a better defensive rebounder but all in all his numbers are quite good per min. played. For whatever reason Brad doesn't trust him.WHY????

i think you will continue to see reggie blossom as a leader as time goes on. it took marque four years to ascend to that role. you couldn't get two word out of marque when he got here, but he would always smile. by his senior year, he was openly demonstrative on the court and a vocal leader.

I think you will especially see that next year because he will be the senior leader along with tom and izik. although its clear that reggie is our best player, the leaders of this team are josh and chris. chris is the vocal and emotional leader while josh has been rock solid (the last two games notwithstanding). they have taken the mantle nicely from marque and reggie will take the baton from those two along with izik and tom. as you mentioned, this is a year of transition for him because it's the first time in his college career where he is the main guy and all of the responsibility that goes with it. next year, he'll be completely ready for it because he's gone through it already for a year.

once the season ends. i look for reggie to take ownership of the team in preparing for the 2005 season all the way up to next march when he heads us to the big dance.

as we've seen from most of our seniors in recent years (j. love, mo, marque, kenny and Josh), they have played the best basketball of their careers as seniors. that only makes me even more excited to watch what he does next year as a senior with the talent he has with another year of experience of being the man.

bad boyz for life

i have to say i am in on the play izik more bandwagon as well. as willie outlined, he has done everything to gain time, improved d, cut down on turnovers, etc. we need the offense he brings to the table.