PLAY Clarke and JJ

Billiken75

any word on why JJ wasn't dressed? if Drejaj is struggling - he kept passing up clean looks at the 3, tried to work it in and either threw up a prayer or turned it over...c'mon, take the open shot... if you miss you miss. If not, I would rather see what Darren has. I feel bad for Reggie, he has to work his butt off to even catch a pass... obviously, teams are simply shutting him down and letting someone else score... unfortunately, there is no one else right now.

I don't know what game you watched but Fischer was the problem today not Drejaj. Anthony was up and down but down the stretch he was by far our best player on offense with 2 3 point shots and some good penetration. And Drejaj worked hard a heck on defense against a guy that was 6 inches taller..

Clarke played big minutes and did nothing on offense. He missed one open three point shot and passed the ball. That's it. I think he has potential and I hope he keeps playing hard on practice but I am not yet ready to throw in the towel on this year.

>Clarke played 7 minutes and only in 2-3 minute stretches.

>Ohanon was wheeling and dealing in the second half when he

>got pulled. Sure could have used his offense down the

>stretch.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when Izik got pulled in the middle of the second half. He was finally getting a series of those fading mid-range jumpers to fall. I assumed it was only for 1 minute breather but coach went with the 3 guard deal down the stretch.

Clarke was never on the floor for more than 3 minutes continuously. His one and only shot rimmed out, could have easily fallen. Practice does not make a freshman ready for game competition and intensity. You cannot expect a guy with splinters in his butt to come off the bench and be instant offense ... especially when he barely gets a feel for the flow of the game before he is yanked.

We're fighting for an NIT berth this season with the current team configuration and I've accepted it. Our best athletes aren't on the floor nearly enough for us to knock off the upper echelon teams in CUSA. That will change next year since Brad will have no choice but to play Ohanon and the youngsters. Whether its the current freshmen or the incoming freshmen makes no difference -- we just need more athletes on the floor.

The problem is that our best atheletes ... and we don't have enough of them to knock off top tier teams consistently ... don't do the things we need done to win. Great defense and ball control. Also neither of them seem to have a feel for the game when they are on the court. We could put JJ and DC in more ... but it wouldn't make any difference. If we are going to get away from doing the things Brad wants done ... we better have a roster full of great atheletes ... or we will be Mizzou.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

"The problem is that our best atheletes ... and we don't have enough of them to knock off top tier teams consistently ... don't do the things we need done to win"

My point is, Brad is going to have to play those players next year anyway. I agree that he should stick to his game plan if possible, but next year it won't be possible. We're going to have a bunch of young players and thanks to the process of elimination, some of them are going to play a lot of minutes.

This is not next year ... there is an entire offseason and preseason to work on things. I still say if a coach is saying ... you must do these things to play ... then he must stick to his guns ... especially with our limited athleticism

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Drejaj is handcuffed in the offense now. He lost his shooting touch and Brad has said he changed his role partly because of that. Drejaj was the best defender on the court for us yesterday.We have to bring him back inot the offense. He may be a streaky shooter and sometimes plays out of control but he is a clutch player. I think too that Izik has got to play closer to 30 minutes than 15.

>Drejaj is handcuffed in the offense now. He lost his

>shooting touch and Brad has said he changed his role partly

>because of that. Drejaj was the best defender on the court

>for us yesterday.We have to bring him back inot the offense.

> He may be a streaky shooter and sometimes plays out of

>control but he is a clutch player. I think too that Izik

>has got to play closer to 30 minutes than 15.

You can't have it both ways Torch. Izik's minutes going up means Drejaj's go down (unless you propose taking minutes from Josh or Reggie). The only other alternative would be to play Izik at the 4 some.

I guess we all should end our posts and thoughts of what we like to see or what we think we should see, because we "don't know as much as Brad". Talk about ridiculous comments. I'm sure I know less than Brad forgets, but I'm going to submit my opinions like everyone else. Law, since when have you suppressed your feelings or opinions that you are in any place to tell anyone else that they shouldn't say things unless they "know more than Brad".

I would play Izik more but give drejaj some more flexibilty while he is out there. I wish Izik could play the 4, he is so good posting up but he just cannot rebound and defend big guys well enough. His drives and jump shot has been improving though and his Gervin finger rolls have been dropping consistently for the first time during his career at SLU.

no, what I'm saying is don't start ripping Brad's decisions, demanding certain players play over others and calling him an idiot, which some posters are doing. Brad knows what he is doing, he is going out on the floor every game and putting kids out there that he believes give him the best chance of winning the game.

If JJ and Clarke warranted the playing time they'd be getting it.

I think Izik can play the 4. Very few teams in D1 these days have 250+ pound 4s. To me, the reason he is not playing 4 this year is Chris Sloan and our lack of a 3. Next year, with Luke Meyer and maybe Tommie Liddell or a juco 3, I expect to see Izik as our starting 4 backed up by Justin Johnson.

if izik REGULARLY was tearing down double digit rebounds, blocking shots, slamming home put backs i would agree with you. however, it is obvious that he doesnt want anything to do with the inside. he looks to get outside and looks a hell of a lot more comfortable out on the wing going one on one and putting up finger rolls, etc. i just dont see his makeup ever being an effective power forward. the fact he couldnt convince brad to send sloan back to his real position is proof izik will never be an effective power forward. putting him there is more of what we have been seeing the last three years. i want some size that can hold their position. a bonner clone would be wonderful, a tatum clone would be good, i would even be happy with a jeff harris wannabe. but someone to play the position the way it is supposed to be played.

>>if izik REGULARLY was tearing down double digit rebounds, blocking shots, slamming home put backs i would agree with you. however, it is obvious that he doesnt want anything to do with the inside.<<

A bucket is a bucket whether the player is "slamming" or hits a nice floater from 5 feet. What I saw at Memphis is different than what you relate. What I saw was Izik scoring inside of 10' and being very comfortable in there. What I saw was a 6'9" player with long arms and good hops shoot over very athletic players for Memphis from inside of 10'. Izik was the only player on the team who could score in the paint for us against Memphis. In fact, I don't remember Izik taking a shot outside of 10 feet. That was the best game I have seen Izik play all year and it is hopefully a preview of what he can do next year. Izik is a better rebounder than your post portrays. He's excellent on the offensive glass and above-average on the defensive end (he had 3 offensive rebounds in the Memphis game).

Granted, one game does not a season make but I took small comfort from the Memphis game in seeing what Izik can do on the offensive end from inside.

Messages boards are for the free exchange of ideas. Head coaches in D-1 make a nice chunk of change and part of the deal is that they get second guessed by the world. It's an inalienable right of all Americans! Didn't you catch that in your con law class? Yeah, it's one of those tricky penumpra rights in the bill of rights, akin to the right of privacy (the words aren't there but the Supreme Court, with it's x-ray vision, found the right lurking undetected by the naked eye). Note: Justice Scalia has a death wish for the penumbra so, as his career progresses along with that of his acolyte (aka Justice Thomas), basketball coaches and politicians just might get a little more protection under the law.