Second PG 2009/2010 Season

With the expectation that KM will see the majority of minutes at PG, and with both KL and TL gone after the 2008/2009 season, what kind of PG can we attract to SLU for the class of 2009 recruiting class?

It seems that whomever is brought in will not see much playing time unless KM gets injured. If you're a talented PG do you come to SLU?

If KM does get injured and SLU has signed a developmental player and not one who is ready to play right away, how many wins could the injury cost the team?

To me a perfect world scenario has us signing Scott Suggs this year and signing someone who would not be expected to conribute immediately his first year with the program as part of the class of 2009. Suggs would be able to spell KM and be the emergency PG in case of injury and the 2009 recruit would be able to redshirt his first year, continue to develop under RM and be able to contribute during the 2010/2011 season.

Any thoughts?

How about a combo 1/2 guard, much like KL. In any case the key, at this point, for me is getting the son of one of our posters and I don't mean little Broy, kshoe, sshoe or little Skip (if there is one).

I agree with you 100% as to who should be the # 1 recruiting target. However, with PG arguably being the most important position in college basketball, and not having an upperclassmen in place as a quality backup it makes me a little nervous. I don't like that we would be putting all of our eggs in one KM basket.

From what I've read about the 09' class, the pg out of Maplewood is somebody to target.

I have no problem with having two pgs together in the backcourt, ala Perry and Fisher. (I know someone will argue that Perry was a 2-guard, but he was recruited as a point and certainly could've played the position had Fish not been there.)

I think a lot depends on who is signed this year with the remaining scholarships. If you sign 2 more 2G's (FJ, SS, MR), there would be a lot of players vying for 80 minutes of playing time per game. Of course that scenario would change if RM wants to run a 3 guard offense.

I think if we still try to recruit another pg. The best we can get. Good players don't mind competition. If we get one that is better than KM he will play.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

If you have guards and a small forward who can handle and they

get 30 minutes apiece as starters that leaves 30 minutes for a sixth man off the bench-if we are winning that has to be a very attractive offer for any recruit. Our problem in the most current regime of coaches is they played the starters until they were burned out and the next game you might see one of the starters sit on the bench for 35 minutes with no explanation-our coaches

had a plan A for every game and no adjustment was made during the game or at half. If our planned match ups worked we

won. If not we scratched our heads wondering what went wrong

and we blamed on lack of depth

Michael Dixon will be one of the premier PG's recruited in the 09 class - nationally. Some "experts" have him in the top 10 nationally, at his position, now.

Along with Griffey, he already has his first formal offers.

Bryant Allen from Maplewood (who as a soph was outstanding in football as a varsity QB as well as a PG) is also held in high regard.

He was invited to the recently completed NIKE Jamboree and did well against national competition (including Dixon) He has been tabbed as a fast riser and his performance last week may put him on even more radar screens.

Both of these kids are going to get long hard looks by a lot of schools, imo. There are a lot of talented St Louis kids in the 09 and 10 classes.

>Michael Dixon will be one of the premier PG's recruited in

>the 09 class - nationally. Some "experts" have him in the

>top 10 nationally, at his position, now.

>

>Along with Griffey, he already has his first formal offers.

>

>Bryant Allen from Maplewood (who as a soph was outstanding

>in football as a varsity QB as well as a PG) is also held in

>high regard.

>

>He was invited to the recently completed NIKE Jamboree and

>did well against national competition (including Dixon) He

>has been tabbed as a fast riser and his performance last

>week may put him on even more radar screens.

>

>Both of these kids are going to get long hard looks by a lot

>of schools, imo. There are a lot of talented St Louis kids

>in the 09 and 10 classes.

The same Bryant Allen some people on this board were saying wasnt a high-major prospect just last week when I called him one?

VTime -

Dixon (my understanding, offer in hand), Gulley from Arkansas, and Bryant are PG's a school 120 miles west of Lindell and West Pine like.

Bryant is being contacted by other high majors. I am not aware of any offers, that process has JUST officially begun.

NIKE event was at SLU - I am quite sure SLU staff is aware of Bryant and I bet, likes what they see.

V when you name half the players playing local high school basketball you are bound to hit on a couple. Why don't you remind everybody how you were talking up Aubrey Doss for over a year or any of the other players you were wrong about.

As a matter of fact I think you are right about Powell and you know that becuase I have been talking him up since I have been on here. I got your list which at one poinnt I believe you had 31 players on who needed to get offers stored some where. Give me a little bit and I will post it. I need to find it first.

If the under performing and dog of a player Doss ends up at SLU, I will publicly demand that someone check Majerus's medications.

Most of the time, I said these guys should get a look, not an offer. Powell, Harrellson, Eckerle, Lacey, Perry, Roundtree, Booker, Suggs, Griffey. Those are guys I said offer. There are other guys I said offer, but I didnt say offer the large number of guys everyone said, I said they should get a look, as in Brad should go see them. Obviously he wasnt doing that much. Even Griffey mentioned in scout article that Brad only came to one of his games as a sophomore. Is that how you treat your #1 target in the 2009 class? I may have said offer too many guys and I have admitted that, but Brad definitely wasnt offering enough! And the best part, Majerus actually lets us know who is being recruited so the fans can actually get excited. The scout site, in great part to the work of Nate Latsch is full of recruiting articles. Even with Nate, I'm not so sure that site would not have been practically dead under the old regime.

Rick Majerus has already called Bryant Allen, the PG from Maplewood.

I talked to Allen today and I'll have a story on him on my site sometime tomorrow probably.

Allen also plays for Corey Frazier at Maplewood, with John Redden as an assistant coach.

Southern Illinois and Missouri State are also in the picture.

I liked what I saw from Allen at the Hoop Jamboree, even going up against Michael Dixon.

Allen is about 5-11/6-0, lefty, good shooter and a good athlete (plays football and runs track). I was talking to someone recently and we both agreed that Allen is like a cross between Dwayne Polk and Kevin Lisch, if you can picture that kind of player.

Majerus will watch Allen in July and could offer soon.

- Nate

>Rick Majerus has already called Bryant Allen, the PG from

>Maplewood.

>

>I talked to Allen today and I'll have a story on him on my

>site sometime tomorrow probably.

>

>Allen also plays for Corey Frazier at Maplewood, with John

>Redden as an assistant coach.

>

>Southern Illinois and Missouri State are also in the

>picture.

>

>I liked what I saw from Allen at the Hoop Jamboree, even

>going up against Michael Dixon.

>

>Allen is about 5-11/6-0, lefty, good shooter and a good

>athlete (plays football and runs track). I was talking to

>someone recently and we both agreed that Allen is like a

>cross between Dwayne Polk and Kevin Lisch, if you can

>picture that kind of player.

>

>Majerus will watch Allen in July and could offer soon.

>

>- Nate

A good comparison would be to Johnnie Lacy, Kwamain Mitchell's AAU teammate, whom Allen has matched up against head to head multiple times.

Also, Allen isn't 6'0, not yet anyway, neither is Lacy.

>He plays bigger than his size. I think he's 6'1 at the

>shortest Nate, but you could be right. Can we both agree

>that the big 4 in MO class of 2009 are Griffey, Anderson,

>Dixon, and Allen.

I have the Nike Hoop Jamboree roster in front of me.

Each player is measured.

Bryant Allen measured at 5-11.

- Nate

>i am guessing this is not the michael dixon from kmox radio

>where does he attend school as i am not familiar?

Nope - Michael Dixon is for Lee Summit West in metro KC, slight, about 6'1", extremelty quick. (I think he may have played against K. Mitchell, and did well, at the Jayhawk Invitational last month) He has shown extremely well against older kids on the AAU circuit.

Plays AAU with KC Pump & Run along with Travis Releford (KU commit), Steve Moore (MU commit), Johnny Coy ( ASU commit), and Marcus Denmon(deciding between MU & KSU) among others. This team beat the Eagles pretty handily a month ago.

He's a true point guard but with a scoring touch - can shoot it as well as quick off the dribble. Has had interest from more than a dozen mid & high majors to date. (MU, Purdue, Texas, Florida, KU, among others)

Guest BillikenReport

There was a nice paragraph about Allen in the PrepStars.com review of the Hoop Jamboree, but it's a premium story and I don't want to post it here.

I just wrote a premium story about Allen for BillikenReport.com.

- Nate