Illinois Prep Bulls-eye - Matt Roth

>Ace, if you closely followed the board when this was brought

>up over a year ago, VTime did out himself as ProBlack, who

>definitely had a history on various local sports sites. Ask

>Nate about it.

>

>VTime has either learned how to better mask some of his

>feelings, or hopefully matured a little in his viewpoints.

>

>As far as recruiting, getting Mitchell gave RM the

>flexibility to make multiple guard offers and bring pressure

>for an early decision. Mitchell is the key guard to get, and

>we got him. Roth will be the next critical get if there are

>any plans to play the twin towers for long periods, as space

>may be limited for drives in the lane.

My history was what? it wasnt being racist. It was promoting guys no one was talking about. It was no different on here when I was promoting area guys, when people thought I was talking about offering too many guys or guys that come from a weak area. I promoted the players who didnt get any pub. Because the majority of the posters werent black, it seemed like I was the only one posting about black people. I was labeled problack and I changed my moniker to fit that image. I'm not racist and anybody who knows me or actually reads what I'm saying knows that. I've been a huge supporter of Harrellson for a couple of years now. I've been pushing for Roth, providing videos and links. I am a basketball fan and I state my honest opinion whether people like it or not and sometimes it rubs people the wrong way. I guess my constant defense of Luke Meyer as a starter next year over Relphorde is racist too, or my thread about Lisch being vastly overrated. Get real man, I'm an all-around nice guy and everybody knows that. I never would've been class president at a university if I was the kind of person you're making me out to be.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VTime, you said I was a hater on Roth. I pointed out I wasn't.

Where are you getting information that I am targeting you as being a racist? Looks like an attempt at a strawman martyr argument you are pursuing here. On all the forums where you were banned, it was usually your level of instragence, and not your moniker, that earned the boot. Revisionist history is mainly written by the party involved, as is your case here.

As a sidenote, on a forum, it would be would be bigotry and not racism. No one, except Steve, David, and Terrance have any power over any other posters, so racism is not a possible condition of being here.

I do find it amusing some people think I am "hating" on a relative when I point out current(and obvious) deficiencies that Roth has, or that I don't want him to come to SLU. I think it would be a great fit, as a SLU offer will be one of the best he will get. He will walk into a perfect setup to exploit his best talents, which is the EXACT situation he should want.

>Nate - Do you think he would be a candidate to redshirt his

>first year?

I think he'd definitely be a candidate to redshirt.

Look at how many players the Billikens will have for the shooting guard/small forward spots that season. I think a couple of these guys could be redshirt candidates.

Going forward with the program, if you're having recruiting success, it would be great to be able to redshirt a player or two here and there.

- Nate

Post #5, where you quoted me, cited the incorrect line for the Metamora game, and then dropped I'm a hater. If you retract those two items, you eliminate the post. Just leave it up.

Sides that, it isn't worth it, VTime. I don't worry about these forums too much, and editing after the deed often results in an argument with the wind. It also skews the followup posts to a negative fashion.

>bauman, from what i have read, roth is indeed an excellent

>shooter. however i havent heard anything but shooting to

>describe him. i.e. he isnt going to create his own shot.

>what he gets off in high school vs 5'9" shooting guards that

>guard him, wont happen in the a-10 vs 6'4" sg's. he has to

>have some athleticism to be able to carry that superb skill

>to the next level and continue to be effective.

>

>from what i have heard, john's shooting is not that bad. he

>doesnt shoot as much simply because he is strong enough and

>athletic enough to many times blow by his defender.

I think you're mistaking John for Roundtree. John scores mostly on pull-up mid-range jumpers and in transition. If anything he doesn't get to the hole enough, considering his tight handle.

>is he a better shooter than roth? by all accounts, no. but

>in every other aspect he is the superior player plus not as

>bad of a shooter as most are making it out to be.

>

>i'd take john.

Being a jack of all trades but a master of none often spells bench player at the D-1 level. I really hope John can correct that Floyd McClain-like tendency to palm the ball when shooting. It's the key to his college career IMO. Roth, with his insane range and extreme confidence in his shot bordering on cockiness, could be successful from jump in the right system. That Jimmy Baron kid at Rhode Island has been killing us with the same attributes.

Henry, I wish I could disparage everyone to the point that we have the same lousy years we had when Clags and Turner were chucking baskets for us. Man, what a putdown to compare Matt to such lousy players and the minutes each saw on a two year NCAA team, the first team in SLU history to win an NCAA tournament game. ;)

That's a good comparison as to what we could have if Roth commits. Baron shoots our damn lights out every time and it doesn't matter how far we extend THE PACK DEFENSE®!!! because he just keeps shooting and hitting from further back. I'd kill for a Jimmy Baron clone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=27101

6'2" 190

Okay, I see it. I take it back, its just that you gave false information to suit your agenda. You said his career high was like 27 or 29 points against Metamora when he clearly hit 12 3's in one game. I apologize, its unlike me to call someone out of their name, even though that's a mild comment, I'll take it back. I pride myself on being above name calling.

Henry, at that time(the completion of the Metamora game,) it stood as his career high game. I referenced that situation in another post. The fact is we are both correct. It is a small point, like many, that you will never address.

I'll be sure to call you when I need a lawyer to represent lost causes debating first team all state players who have a future as a bench player.

But you made the post in June, so you shouldn't be referencing the Metamora game as a career high when he set another career high over 3 months ago. You said his career high should be more than the Metamora game and it is. You tried to make a point that his scoring wasnt that good because his career high was against Metamora, but you argument loses some latitude when you make a crucial mistake like that.

I understand what Dave's point is; are you guys so much opposed to his opinion that you refuse to see what he's really saying? He didn't lie. Against Metamora, Matt Roth scored what was his career high at the time. Notwithstanding the fact that Roth went on to establish a new career high later on, Dave thinks a player lauded as highly as Roth is should have had a better career high entering the game in question. He also feels that Roth's ranking as an all-state player, or whatever, would not be as high in other years.

Agree or disagree, but don't attack him, because I feel he's one of the best posters in this cyber-community (and I've been around a while).

"At that time" Its June, both of those games were months ago. He could have easily found that if he did more research. I see what he was trying to say, but he was using his career high as a negative and he hadnt bothered to find his actualy career high. Its June, we cant argue about at that time, becuase the post was made in June, not after the Metamora. Both games happened months ago. At the time of his post, the Metamora game was not the career high.