OT: Hancock Family Suing

kshoe

I know we have some lawyers on this board and I'm not trying to insult them but this lawsuit is just ridiculous.

http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stories/kmo...it.6cb022b.html

This part in particular is just sickening:

"Reports out of Mississippi say that the family is also suing tow truck company and driver of the truck Hancock hit as well as the driver of the disabled vehicle that called for the tow truck."

Note to my family memebers, if I ever do something stupid and completely within my responsibility please do NOT sue innocent people...particularly if their only crime was 1) getting in an accident or 2) being a good samaritan to help the people in that accident.

If I was the family I would just let this whole story die. There is a lot of stuff that can come up about their son in a court case that hasn't made it into the public realm yet. There is no need for his name to get tarnished further.

>Note to my family memebers, if I ever do something stupid

>and completely within my responsibility please do NOT sue

>innocent people...particularly if their only crime was 1)

>getting in an accident or 2) being a good samaritan to help

>the people in that accident.

I can't promise anything...

I'm going to take my one parting shot and then let this one go.

The family is probably just pissed that his life insurance policy and assets were to be paid out to his crack dealer and not them and they had to try and cash in somehow.

Might as well sue me, too. I saw a picture of the aftermath of the accident on the Arena cam. And sue ClayCo, as well, for seeing the whole thing once every 10 minutes and doing nothing - there's some big money.

To the family - drop it, it sucked, move on. Those parties can probably sue you somehow, actually...

I am a transactional corporate attorney, so the plaintiff's bar is my sworn enemy. That being said, why are the lawyers to blame and not the families or the judicial system that permits such claims?

Even though the car is really messed up, the passenger seat is fully intact and relatively undamaged. Despite Hancock being drunk, likely stoned, and talking on his cell phone, he may still be alive had he worn his seatbelt.

>I am a transactional corporate attorney, so the plaintiff's

>bar is my sworn enemy. That being said, why are the lawyers

>to blame and not the families or the judicial system that

>permits such claims?

bad time to mention I'm working on plaintiff's derivative suit? :)

We lawyers are to "blame" because one of our colleagues decided to take the case and run with it. Most likely this case doesn't survive an MTD, as is the case with many such suits (my father as a physician had to deal with many of these suits filed against him by greedy patients and attorneys yet the only time he ever saw the inside of the courtroom was as an expert witness) but the fact is there was some lawyer willing to listen to the Hancock family and take the time and effort to file the case instead of saying "you have no case, get over it."

Its been reported on several occasions that a seatbelt would not have made a difference. A bar from the tow truck went through the windshield and nearly decapated Josh, his head was barely hanging on. Just to clear that up.

>I know we have some lawyers on this board and I'm not trying

>to insult them but this lawsuit is just ridiculous.

>

>http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stories/kmo...it.6cb022b.html

>

>This part in particular is just sickening:

>

>"Reports out of Mississippi say that the family is also

>suing tow truck company and driver of the truck Hancock hit

>as well as the driver of the disabled vehicle that called

>for the tow truck."

>

>Note to my family memebers, if I ever do something stupid

>and completely within my responsibility please do NOT sue

>innocent people...particularly if their only crime was 1)

>getting in an accident or 2) being a good samaritan to help

>the people in that accident.

This isn't the lawyers fault. This is the family's fault for being so damn stupid. Their son was a partier, drunk, druggie. He died as a result of HIS actions. The tow truck was on the shoulder of an 8 lane highway. There were 3 other lanes for him to avoid the flashing lights. Sounds like the parents are at the same level of intelligence as the son.

Why not sue the Cincinnati Reds for releasing him because he was a drunk that showed up overweight to spring training and constantly hungover/late? If not for that, maybe he would have never encountered St Louis.

Why not sue himself for being a poor parent. He raised a child that obviously was not very thankful for the opportunity to be a major league baseball player, which is an opportunity many would kill for.

There is plenty of blame to go around, most of it falling on people with the last name of Hancock.

ZING! Rightfully so if you ask me...

I agree w/ whoever posted it earlier... if I was stupid enough to encounter that fate, I would hope that my family would issue an APOLOGY to all parties involved, and bury my a$$.

Jimbofive, you make a good point. If anything, the tow-truck driver should be suing the Hancock family for their drunk son putting his life and the lives of the other car at risk.

1) The Hancock family is stupid for going through with this lawsuit, no doubt about it

2) I think the lawyers should take some of the blame because you have to believe it was an ambulance chaser that convinced them to do this.

I'm not saying Major League Baseball players shouldn't go out and drink and carry on, but when Chris Duncan catches college co-eds at Humphrey's better than fly balls in left field, that might be an issue Walt Jocketty might want to address next off-season. He was at the bar last night and I heard a lot of snide Hancock comments being made. I got a good chuckle out of some of them, but most were pretty off-base.

Duncan's had some nice diving catches on the outfield grass this year, and as long as he keeps those up, he can dive on any grass he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, Duncan's only 26. I've heard a few recent "glory" stories of 32-year-olds taking the old notch-knife out in the Village®.

What is the issue with a 26 year old going to Humphrey's with a couple of friends? I am sure several posters on this board, and I include myself in this, who are young professionals like to frequent local watering holes after a long day in the office. I would rather hear of Duncan stopping by Humphrey's on a Wednesday night for a drink than Jeter and A-Rod who stop by clubs in Manhattan and give dome to every dude in site.

i wonder if i was a player if after this suit is filed i would think about taking the patch off of my uniform?

i think this suit reflects poorly on the hancock family that the father "has an obligation to represent on all issues" and he did so as he thinks best in filing the suit and i would have to think about putting on a jersey with a patch honoring this particular family - would wear it, but probably not happily