Coach Gray-Miller's Blog

Latest Blog from coachshimmy.com- She is quite entertaining!!

FROM A DOG'S PERSPECTIVE

I’ve got a great man in my life. He’s good to me. Keeps me warm at night. Gives the best kisses. Faithful, which is a rarity these days. He’s never in a bad mood. And he’s satisfied with just the tiniest bit of affection from me. I rub his belly and give him a pat on the head and he’s just fine with that. So what if he snores and I have to pick up after him from time to time? We have the perfect relationship. The thing I love the most about him is his consistency. He loves me unconditionally, whether I’m happy or sad. Whether I’m wearing make up or look a hot mess. Most importantly, he loves me whether I win or lose.

His name is Flynt and he is my 4-year-old Boxer mix. I bought him while in Arizona and he followed me to St. Louis. He wasn’t crazy about the snow initially, but he never complained. Even though I have to leave him for weeks at a time because of work travel, he is always ecstatic when I return. My players have fallen in love with him and they often dog-sit for me or just come over to play with him, (and give me a hard time about how long my grass is in the backyard.) His name is homage to my hometown of Flint, MI. I never want to forget my roots and he epitomizes my blue-collar birthplace. He’s full of energy and life and he definitely appreciates all the little things. The walks around the block. The dog biscuits. The games of fetch, (which usually consist of me throwing, him catching, and then me chasing him to get the ball back.). He’s a very appreciative fellow who loves the simple things life has to offer but I’d be remiss if I didn’t go back to the consistency factor. Like my family and friends in Flint, this dog cares about me as Shimmy from the Block. Not Coach Gray-Miller.

Case in point: We started this season with a bang. 5-0. Best start in school history in several years. I remember the evening we clinched #5 very vividly. We returned from a road game and I was on top of the world. We were 5-0. Wait a minute, maybe you didn’t hear me. WE WERE 5-0!!!!!! (See, my first year at SLU we won a total of 7 games so 5-0 was a really big deal.) I put my key in the lock, which is his cue to emerge from his resting place and race to the front door. When he saw that it was me, he went nuts. I thought to myself, “Wow. He’s really smart. He knows we’re 5-0.†Hey, I leave the TV on for him when I’m gone so I’m thinking maybe he caught the news or something. So anyway, I walk inside and he starts jumping all over me. At that moment I felt like the greatest dog owner in the world. “We’re 5-0 and my dog really loves me!â€

Let’s fast forward to the middle of the season. We have some injuries and play some great competition and those days of being 5-0 are well behind us. In fact, we started a different kind of streak. Try 0-7. We lost games we shouldn’t have lost and with each loss, I’m sinking lower and lower. As a coach, the losses always hurt more and as the head coach, you start questioning every decision that’s made. Whether right or wrong, it’s just what you do. So we have lost the 7th straight and I’m returning home. I turn down my street half expecting to see a For Sale sign stuck in my front lawn. I begrudgingly walk up the steps and put the key in the door. And then it happens. Out of nowhere, Flynt comes tearing down the hall and starts jumping at the door. “Oh great,†I thought, “He’s been watching the news again. He knows. And he’s not going to let me in this house. My own dog has turned against me.†I couldn’t have been any more wrong. I walked in that house and that dog starts jumping all over, licking me and giving love like you wouldn’t believe. “We’re 0-7 and my dog really loves me!â€

5-0. 0-7. Doesn’t matter to Flynt. All he cares about is that I rub his belly, take him on walks, and play with him. If only everyone in my life loved me that unconditionally.

I realize that this business can often be cruel and the people associated with it can often be described as bandwagoneers. (Did I just make that word up? Probably, but you know who you are.) I also realize that if my players or assistant coaches jumped up and down and wagged their tails when we lost 7 straight games, I would question their passion and commitment to what we’re trying to do. Therefore I realize the unconditional love I’m searching for might only be found in the canine persuasion. But wouldn’t it be nice if the next time we go 0-7, I could just rub my Athletic Director’s belly or pat the booster’s on the head and they would still find me as wonderful as Flynt does?.