Kyle Kirk's "little" brother

I saw Kyle Kirk's little brother, Christian, play for the first time at last night's seventh- and eighth-grade all-star games at Whitfield School.

He's already somewhere in the 6-foot-5, 6-6 or 6-7 range and can really jump.

He reminds me, in that sense, of Tyler Griffey at the same stage.

I didn't get to watch all of his game, but he looked like he spent a lot of time on the perimeter handling the ball. He has a nice-looking (smooth) mid-range shot and made some nice passes.

Depending on how much he grows, down the road he could be a face-up power forward who can extend the defense or a taller small forward who can shoot over people.

Rick Majerus and Angres Thorpe were in the house, so they already got a look at him.

I also found out that St. Louis U. offered Kyle Kirk a scholarship when he was a freshman at Zumwalt West. I didn't know that.

- Nate

>Just curious Nate, did the entrance of Majerus at Whitfield

>cause a buzz in the stands? We all look at Rick as a

>celebrity but I'm wondering how the average kid / parent

>sees it.

I don't know that there was a buzz.

I don't think a lot of people noticed him at first.

There were definitely a lot of people who came up to him to say hello.

- Nate

>I'm thrilled that he's going to 8th grade all-star games.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but don't underestimate the importance of the new coach getting out in the community and getting in front of people.

He may have landed a player or two because of his appearance last night.

- Nate

nate, was the kunz kid from the wesclin area in this junior high all star game?

he is about 6'4" and plays wing will be an 8th grader. his father phil kunz, played for the illini in the late 80's i believe. a carlyle legend. was about 6'9" when he quit growing. his son is quite the player and will play for brent brede at wesclin in high school.

>"He may have landed a player or two because of his

>appearance last night."

>

>Care to elaborate? Were you referring to anyone in

>particular?

I can't say much more right now. Sorry.

On the general side, there were some players there who could be Billiken recruits in the future. One was Ryan Pierson, brother of Rachel, who was a 6-8 freshman at CBC this past year.

- Nate

>I saw Kyle Kirk's little brother, Christian, play for the

>first time at last night's seventh- and eighth-grade

>all-star games at Whitfield School.

>

>He's already somewhere in the 6-foot-5, 6-6 or 6-7 range and

>can really jump.

I just looked at the roster.

Kirk was listed at 6-7.

- Nate

orange, pretty sure that kunz is only going to be in 8th grade next year. he wont get to play with rakers in high school.

Let me just preface these comments by pointing out that I have no inside information. I'm just trying to put some of the pieces together.

Ok, this tourney/shootout over the weekend was for 7th and 8th grade all stars. More often than not, 7th and 8th graders don't make college commitments. There is the story of Damon Bailey commiting to Indiana around that age, and Illinois got a commitment from high school freshman Jereme Richmond in either November or December, but that's a deviation from the norm, so I'm guessing that Nate isn't speaking of us landing any recruits who were playing in the tournament. My guess is that Rick's appearance at the event impressed the family of one of the kids playing in the tournament, who happens to have an older brother in either the '08 or maybe the '09 classes. I tried to find a list of teams or players from the tournament, but that was an unsuccessful search.

My first thought was Scott Suggs, as I know that he has a younger brother named Skyler(sp). I later found out that Skyler was a freshman in high school this year, which would bar him from playing in this event. Does anyone know if there is a younger Suggs brother in either the 7th or 8th grades?