Dave Telep's Spring Top 100

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cf...&pid=88&yr=2008

Notice the many difference with Telep's rankings than Rivals. While neither don't mean a lot, Telep is a lot more accurate at what he is doing. People could have a few laughs over the differences in the rankings.

What matters are what coaches think of players and what schools have offered scholarships.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids can talk all they want...they are high school kids, some more mature than others....I like this place or that place...means nothing. Recruiting analysts can rank kids this star or this number etc...(although my experience with Telep is very good and he is one of the best imo).....what matters are privately what coaches say and think about players...their actual interest in a player, and what offers he actually has in hand. Thos two things mean the most to me. .....A recruiting analyst could say for example, I think Suggs is a great fit at blank school....or or a kid can say I like this list or theses schools. Those things change all the time. What do coaches actually think, and what offers does the kid actually have.

Lists and rankings are fun fodder for debate and discussion. But nothing to lose sleep over. It does provide some valuable exposure for players. Not all recruiting gurus like the same kids or same schools, etc...but there isn'tmuch denying specific coahces' interests and scholarship offers.

Just look at Teleps differnces, some drastically different than was just posted this week.

Yep.

Now, obviously coaches, even of good teams show interest in more kids than available spots, and offer more than kids than spots available. Also even at good programs, coaches can visit and watch games etc...and show interest without actually offering many of them.

unfortunately, most of us arent "insiders" that get to talk to coaches on the qt and know "what they really think" about a recruit prior to signing a NLI. couple that with not really knowing who has an offer and who doesnt because most of that news is rumor and hearsay as well, especially under the most recent soderberg CIA years, we are back to square one.

of course we can usually depend on folks that tell us who isnt getting recruited. everyone likes to tell us that.

Like I said, it isn't tough to to find out which recruiting sites/people are more respected than others. And, there are smaller local ones in each state, some poorly run and some well run..

People can show up at high school games and AAU tourneys....especially many for a regional school like SLU.

There is also nothing stopping SLU grads outside of the region from attending events, games, tourneys, etc...and talking to people and watching games when they comne to their region.

Weed out people with poor track records and pay closer attention to ones with good ones. And if people had a big enough interest, people can go see plenty of players within a short distance of SLU.

Nothing stopping you Roy from seeing the local and regional AAU and high school teams.

The stuff you pull with Nate typifies what you prefer to do with your time here much of the time.

Rivals in my and most opinion is better than Scout. I know that SLU is a basketball only school so this may not matter but Scout is really poor when it comes to football. As far as Suggs goes, if KU wants him we'll get him but I really hope SLU lands him.

"Recruiting kids to Kansas is like selling beer to an alcoholic" Rick Majerus

so what are you implying?

i can go to an aau tourney and walk up and sit amongst roy williams and rick majerus and they will freely talk to me about players they are viewing?

jim, i have no idea why you bring up nate. i fail to see where he fits in the discussion.

my post comment above, "of course we can usually depend on folks that tell us who isnt getting recruited. everyone likes to tell us that."

i said everybody. for a long time now we (slu fandom) have heard from just about every media member on radio, tv and print and many fellow posters here about how slu didnt recruit this player or that player and should have when they blossum after the fact.

if i would have meant for that comment to be about anyone in particular i would have said it. when have i ever been bashful about something like that? you are giving nate too much credit on that issue now.

you could say the same about slaten, or bernie, or gordon, or even frank for that matter on that comment. that slap wasnt intended about any one person.

Because lately you have been really giving it to Slaten, BM, et al. for telling us who SLU hasn't recruited. Umm...ok roy.

You know, I have no clue who nate is beyond what he posts here, so i don't really have a dog in this fight. But i do find a lot of your comments about nate comically childish. I guess that is why i respond.

well let it be said it was your leap to a wrong conclusion that brought him into this.

i truly did not mean him alone.

you can go back to spoon days and naysayers telling us why we should have recruited gary buchanon or kent williams. yet to have recruited them would have meant not recruiting marque perry or mo jeffers. that makes me crazy.

that was my sole point no veiled swipe at nate alone.

like i asked above, when have i ever been bashful about bringing anyone into a discussion if that was my intent? if bashing any one person was my agenda, i would have said it about that one person.