anyone following SLU baseball closely?

I admit that I haven't seen them play this year, but can anyone tell me what's going on? Their record is pretty bad, especially considering the nice season they had last year. I don't think the conference is that great, and they were losing big before conference play started.

I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks.

SLU has a bad team and an even worse program. We had some decent returning players from last year and started the season 1-11.

Lost 3 games to troy (29-20 RPI 45) 3 to Central Arkansas (18-27, RPI 192) then were fodder for Texas A&M (38-11 RPI 6), Oregon St (35-11 RPI 35), and New Mexico (22-25 RPI 179). We did beat NM the first game then they routed us in the second. Then more losing to SEMO (28-19 RPI 171) Creighton (32-12 RPI 44), Bradley (27-16 RPI 127) and of course Missouri (33-13 RPI 21) until getting a win over Illinois St.

SLU plays in a pretty bad conference. There are no powerhouses in the A-10. Charlotte and Richmond are the only teams in the top 100. We are 7-10 in this awful conference and have been trounced by basically every program in the immediate area, SEMO, Bradley, MO St, Mizzery, SIUC, Eastern Ill. Our RPI stands at 238 (out of 297 teams) with a 13-34 record.

The A-10 is a really bad league. If there was a greater emphasis put on the program we would win it every year. Unfortunately SLU will continue to field a team that is in the bottom quarter of all NCAA teams. Even with an A-10 winning club the talent disparity between us and top baseball schools is staggering. They can play their bench and beat us by 20 runs. I really think that baseball at SLU now is a waste of scholarships and the money should be spent on something else that SLU could be competitive in, hockey comes to mind.

>Hughes will be fired.

His career record is 358-632-1. 274 games under .500. If he was gonna be fired it would have been done by now. No one cares about the program.

The olleyball, softball and womens hoops coaches have been replaced in non-revenue sports, under Levick. They had an improbable conference tourney run last year. It delayed it a a year. Non-revenue coaches get many more years because their importance is less at a place like SLU. I'd be pretty surprised if he came back next year. It all depends on what they want to invest in making it more competitive. It doiesn't look good to make all of the changes to the other non-revenue sports and not try to improve the baseball program....either drop the program or fix it. One or the other. It's an embarrassment.

The softball team is having its best year ever and earned a #3 seed in the conference tourney. They won in the first round of the A-10 tourney over GW and play #2 seed Fordham next.

what has amazed me about hughes and totally soured me on his approach, is the fact that bob lives about two blocks from Whitey Herog Field in Belleville. Whitey is the home of the Althoff baseball team and the Belleville Hillgards american legion team. i.e. from march until the end of July there is non-stop baseball being played in his backyard. i have seen him there twice. i have seen him at the Fairview Heights american legion field once.

he could have had a lot of metro east players that would have helped his team but didnt even try.

now i am sure there are scholarship problems, but my gosh, i know for a fact he never even inquired on these kids.

The really sad thing is that there are plenty of good programs in St. Louis that produce division one talent for baseball, and none of them get looked at by slu. I have been around highschool baseball for close to 10 years in one capacity or another. It's sad to see that they don't even try to look for players around here. There have been plenty of guys in the last 5-6 years that would have played for this program, and made it better if they had even bothered to show up and look at some high school, American Legion, of SLABA(declining in quality) games.

nick, if you guys had the pitching i think you would give them a great series. but the truth is that the varsity team would beat you with pitching. i like your hitters and fielders though. i would bet that at least 4 or 5 of those club kids could play a significant role on the varsity.

michael adamson is going to middle tennessee next year. imo adamson is the best area high school prospect. throws right at 90 mph, is left handed, plays center field when he isnt pitching, catches everything in the field, hits 500 with power and can steal bases. the rumor is that tampa is interested and might pick him somewhere around 15-20 round. he is that good.

it is my understanding hughes talked to him, but only offered partial scholarship money. and i understand that. the current limit on baseball scholarships is crazy. how can you give like 11 scholarships for a team when teams are comprised of 25 members?

however, michael got a full ride to middle tennessee. the point is, you get interest from an area stud like that you got to figure out how to make that happen.

As a former baseball player, I agree Hughes needs to go. The problem with this baseball program is that there is little to no development of talent. I saw freshman come in with enormous physical talent and never were made better through their time at SLU. Hughes is a great man and a wonderful person, but he is unable (or willing) to put the appropriate time and effort into the program that it needs. Every other program you see players get better, in many cases at SLU you see players get worse.

As far as comparing the club team to the varsity, give me a break. I bet you are the same "Rec Center All-Star" that says you can go out and beat Peyton Jack at one-on-one because your team won intramurals. As bad as they are, we should give student-athletes respect because of the time and effort they put in off the field. Playing varsity sports at SLU is a full-time job. Look at the worst player's high school stats on SLU's baseball team. I guarantee they would kill you guys.

I am the first to admit the program is a disaster and always has been. However, under new leadership this program has tremendous potential.

"I saw freshman come in with enormous physical talent and never were made better through their time at SLU. Hughes is a great man and a wonderful person, but he is unable (or willing) to put the appropriate time and effort into the program that it needs. Every other program you see players get better, in many cases at SLU you see players get worse."

Were you referring to me?

Board members - we are in the prescence of a Mizuno Third team All-American! Gentleman, if there ever was a left handed hitter who gave right handed pitchers nightmares DirtyRican is the one! He also was the best in the country at the "slow grounder to first" play during infield warmups.

>nick, if you guys had the pitching i think you would give

>them a great series. but the truth is that the varsity team

>would beat you with pitching. i like your hitters and

>fielders though. i would bet that at least 4 or 5 of those

>club kids could play a significant role on the varsity.

Nick, I think your team needs an upgrade at the catching position.