Expectations for Moser

As I read through everyone's thoughts and opinions of Moser I am shcked at all of the positive remarks. Are we missing the fact that his overall record at Illinos State was 51-67! Not to mention that EVERY team in the MVC showed dramatic improvement duiring his tenure except his Redbirds.

Someone brought up the point of his ability to recruit numerous kids that fail to qualify academically. I would say that should be a MAJOR concern at this school. I don't want to start the argument about if SLU actually abides by typical admissions standards for athletes (because it doesn't, and I am fine with that), but the reality is that SLU offers VERY FEW easy classes (physical education, sprots recreation, etc...) We will see, but I am VERY skeptical.

>As I read through everyone's thoughts and opinions of Moser

>I am shcked at all of the positive remarks. Are we missing

>the fact that his overall record at Illinos State was 51-67!

> Not to mention that EVERY team in the MVC showed dramatic

>improvement duiring his tenure except his Redbirds.

>

>Someone brought up the point of his ability to recruit

>numerous kids that fail to qualify academically. I would

>say that should be a MAJOR concern at this school. I don't

>want to start the argument about if SLU actually abides by

>typical admissions standards for athletes (because it

>doesn't, and I am fine with that), but the reality is that

>SLU offers VERY FEW easy classes (physical education, sprots

>recreation, etc...) We will see, but I am VERY skeptical.

Moser isn't the head coach. And he isn't the only newlyhired assistant either.

I think Moser will be a very good assistant and will probably be a good head coach in the future as well. Per Ill St people his X & Os and overall running the program skills are probably what held him back most and under RM he will probably be learning as much as the players.

As far as his recruiting, he was able to get verbals and LOIs from some very talented players like Dentman. He took a shot at Dentman when his academics weren't in order and got an LOI. Dentman then went and had a huge run in the IL playoffs and was hearing from lots of different corners. Rumor was that he then didn't want to take the ACT again to qualify but to instead go to prep school and reopen his recruitment. He did go the prep school route and is now with Romar in Washington. I think something similar happened with another Moser recruit at Ill St, name Dunson maybe. Not sure of details, but basically got an early committ again, but kid went prep school route and now somewhere else. Moser has also done a good job at getting talent out of the JUCO ranks, not sure how this will really transfer over to SLU, but having JUCO contacts is always a good thing.

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if Ill St is predicted to finish in the top 4 of the MVC next year--Moser left a lot of talent in place for their new coach. By the way, it has probably been mentioned on this board somewhere but Anthony Beane is back at Ill St as an assistant coach.

1) So the Dentman example is an example of a good recruiter or an average recruiter? Substitute Angres for Porter and Tommy for Dentmon and it seems Angres did a better job keeping Tommy in his LOI and getting him to resign after his LOI. Porter may be good, and I hope he is, but why arn't we saying the same thing about Angres.?

2) Private Business----anyone else wonder about Anthony Beane and his sudden dismissal. The suddeness of the Soderberg firing and the reported mechanics about it made me think about this again. I wonder about the background of that. I remember Brad not being happy at the press conference when that happened. Now AB is bakc in coaching, was it just a year.....the length of a renewed contract?

1. I would put it down as Moser doing a good job of evaluating and getting a signed LOI before Dentman came up big in the playoffs. Once that happened there were lots of rumors going around about his AAU coach and others wanting him to go big time. I think losing him was more of a reflection of how hard it is to bring in big talent to Ill St, at least while the program is down.

As far as SLU retaining TL through his year of prep school, I don't think Brad & staff--Angres included--never received enough credit for keeping him committed. Not sure why you are implying Angres did this more so than Brad though.

2. Beane was coaching last year at one of the high schools in St Louis City I believe. Since he was fired late, it was kind of unlikely to find another position in the college ranks. I kind of figured Beane was fired because of recruiting. I give Jamal Walker some credit for having us on a much better group of JUCO players this Spring than the JUCOs we were looking at during Spring of '06. I don't know of Beane was the main guy for JUCOs, just my speculation.

I also follow UALR, where Porter was head coach for three years. He did a tremendous job of immediately getting players up to their potential, and even overachieving as a team. He must have been a very good assistant coach, because he got the job from inside after Moncrief left.