Josh Harrelson to SWIC not WIU

He's the top area center for 2008. Get him and get Thompson and you've got something. An all area class of Harrellson, Thompson, Suggs, Femi John, and Kenny Leverette would be just fine with me. That's one player from all 5 positions. Josh McCoy and Darian Sain are kids I really like too, but I'm sure Sain will get bashed for his size. I'm high on Anthony James, Jesse Perry, and Abel Tillman as well.

i've seen sain a number of times. i dont think he is good enough even if he wasnt small.

i am very intrigued by tillman after conversations with folks that have seen him a number of times. a kid with that kind of athleticism needs to be looked at.

looks like we'll have 6 to give so we got the ability to take some chances imo.

dave, even if slu was wanting harrelson, i never heard that western illinois gave him a full release and i would bet that even if they gave him a release derrick would have conditioned no slu.

harrelson had no d-1 choices without losing a year of eligibility. if harrelson is truly worthy, he will get his chance to switch up next year.

He is being brought in and paid a ton of money so we won't be taking chances on kids. If the expectation was we were going to take chances on kids next year we should have kept Brad. You do not take chances with kids we you are paying a coach $1 million plus and opening a $85 million plus building.

You better get a good amount of the best players in the area and supplement that with good talent from around the country. It will be expected for us to help pay for everything with increased ticket prices and some kind of psl, it better be worth the damn money. The administration has upped the ante and we better up our expectations.

Since I was almost the lone poster against RM (though I am happily on board now) I feel obligated to keep the list.

It doesn't matter if we wanted him or not or if he really wanted us, I just have to say I heard from a good source that we had to watch him too many times or that he grew up wanting to be a Bill and he goes on the list. That is the way it worked before, so I see no reason to change now.

1.SWIC

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I think it depends on what you call taking a chance. I think we will have problems with 13 kids all on the floor at the same time, at least in the non conference games. It should be ok in the conference games as the refs probably won't notice.

There is nothing wrong with taking a chance on a kid with a high upside who may need a couple of years to develop.

Why can I now predict the future?? Harrelson becomes the next Stemler.

V will be telling us all about how great Harrellson is - "top center in 2008 class" - and be posting non-stop for the next few months for us to sign him in Fall before he ever plays JUCO. If RM doesn't sign him without watching him play games first, then RM is labeled a bad judge of talent, should have offered early...

If, on the other hand, Harrelson proves to be average and more worthy of WIU talent, his name will be dropped in favor of 10 other can't miss guys.

Are we trying to establish a good college basketball team or an AAU team consisting only of local players willing to wear SLU jerseys?

Maybe we should go at this in baby steps. I think even the "A-10 three blind mice" would notice if we started 13 players at one time-probably when they tripped over one of the players they had not seen.

BUT if we go in incremental steps---6 players at a time for the first ten minutes of a game, then 7 for the next 5 minutes etc...we just might be able to pull it off. I know some of you are thinking the other team's HC might notice and tell the "TBM", but from what I have observed the refs don't seem to be able to hear either (or notice that some HCs spend most of the game OUTSIDE of the area set aside for coaches.)

I agree in part to what you are saying, however I don't think we have to pare back to 6 to start. I think we could start at 8 (which would be all of our scholarship players over the last few years)

plus even if the other coach were to tattle, it is my observation that the a-10 officials would then call a technical on the opposite coach for trying to tell them how to do their job. by then, we could easily pull the 2 or 3 players off the floor when the refs actually get around to counting heads. as soon as we make the two free throws, one would think the opponent would call a timeout to "discuss" further with the refs at which time we could put the extras back on the floor with ease.

I think that it is a stretch to assume they can count. No need to make it any harder than it has to be, just spread'em out a little bit. Just tell the guys ... any time it appears as if the refs will attempt to count players, spread out to opposite ends. As they count one corner the extra guys can move over to that side.

>V you are definitely stretching it a long way. Thompson and

>Brandenberg both are ahead of him.

Thompson is not a center. He's a sharpshooting pf, who can probably play some sf. He'll be a much bigger college player than Brandenburg and he'll probably play in the NBA. His basement is Steve Novak.

>>V you are definitely stretching it a long way. Thompson and

>>Brandenberg both are ahead of him.

>

>

>Thompson is not a center. He's a sharpshooting pf, who can

>probably play some sf. He'll be a much bigger college

>player than Brandenburg and he'll probably play in the NBA.

>His basement is Steve Novak.

Thompson will play the 3 or 4 in college depending on the school. Some want him at the 3, some want him at the 4. Novak is one of the best shooters I've ever seen. Thompson isn't in that class, but he is a good shooter and would be a nice get for SLU.

As for Brandenburg, V is obssessed with scoring. Bigger guys take longer to develop and he does a lot of things well. He's doing well against top National level competition. There is a reason a lot of big name schools are after him. SLU would be VERY fortunate to get either player, in the sense that both would do well there and would be upgrades in SLU recruiting.

If it takes him that long to develop on the high school level into more than a marginal player, why would you think he would experience rapid progress in college. He's a project in my opinion. Top 100 players are supposed to be dominate. He is not. Therefore I do agree with the hype. If he comes to SLU, I hope he helps. I'm just not impressed.

>If it takes him that long to develop on the high school

>level into more than a marginal player, why would you think

>he would experience rapid progress in college. He's a

>project in my opinion. Top 100 players are supposed to be

>dominate. He is not. Therefore I do agree with the hype. If

>he comes to SLU, I hope he helps. I'm just not impressed.

Lol. ...but you would rather have dozens and dozens of kids who aren't even mid-major level prospects play for SLU.

I'll take a kid, who right now, a high school junior, is 6'10, athletic, runs the floor better anyone else on the court consistently, who is a shot blocking force, good rebounder, good hands(that and footwork two most important things there are), good passer, competes hard, and has played very well head to head against Jeff Withey, JaMychal Green and several others....I'd take that anytime if I am SLU. You cannot compare 6'10 guys to 6'0 guards at age 16-17.

You get all caught up with rankings and other non-important things. As I said, we don't agree on this...not in the same stratosphere of agreement on this one.

let's try to be nice here, i mean a certain a10 ref may have his day job in jeopardy as in st charles the chief of police is on the way out and who knows what that holds for gerry pollard, could mean he would have a lot of time on his hands to do more slu games

ahhh!!!

V, he plays center in hs. That is what I am talking about. You referred to the top center in the class of 2008. He will probably move to the 3 or the 4 depending on what system he ends up in. If he ends up at SLU he will play the 4 or the 5. RM likes his big men to be able to hit from the outside. So for SLU he will be a prospect at the 5, he is listed at 6'11 after all.

As for Brandenburg, I was down on him after this past high school season. But, all indications are that he has really picked up his game on the early AAU circuit. I guess you would like everyone on here to take your word that Harrellson is the better prospect than Brandenburg, when every talent evaluator and every coach in the country feels differently.