Local Recruits RM and UB

>Thanks. That's good to hear.

>

>Do you think the final straw for Soderberg was not making

>progress with the class of 08?

Based on the timing of Soderberg's firing, I'd say the final straw was only signing two players in the early signing period.

If Soderberg could have also signed Mantas G and somebody else at the beginning of the period (Alexander, Eberhardt, Harris, etc.), he might still have a job.

I'm sure people will argue that Soderberg had a chance at signing other guys, which is true, but the facts are that he signed two players at the start of the signing period.

The coach had all year to recruit and was only able to lock up those two kids.

- Nate

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the old tape of the 2005 MLK shootout and who did I see Nate Latsch. If I knew you were there I would've spoken to you, same thing at the Beaumont-Vashon game this a couple months ago at Soldan. Anyway, dont let people on the board upset. Although I disagree with you A LOT, I appreciate your insight, because you are one of the top writers for high school sports in the area and we appreciate that you share inside info as you can closer to the truth than a lot of us can. Assuming Majerus will only look at the top players from St. Louis would I be wrong to assume that these are the only uncommitted area players he would be courting

2008, Brandenburg, Thompson, Suggs, McCoy, Perry

2009 Griffey, Wiss, Anderson, and Allen

iu meant to say that john favored slu which is what john said on the cusamono piece on channel 5 about two months ago.

i have not told nate not to post. he can do whatever he wants. but i can debate his negativity as well. he has been nothing but negative towards the billikens for over a year and constantly insists teh billikens should be recruiting the lower tier area players. he never paints the full picture.

you all want to hear his negativity, good for you. i personally would like to hear the full story and hear about who we are recruiting and who we are winning with in recruiting.

Interesting. I wonder if RM would be interested in Roundtree. And if so, would he recruit him? I don't know if he would want to start off his career at SLU with the negative "He stole my player" that Sampson heard. Not that stealing Roundtree is equal to Gordon...but it would bring some negative publicity. I would assume the locals like Bernie would be furious.

Yeah, I always do that with Will Kirksey and Will Lawson. I dont know why. Dont they both play AAU for Gateway. And I've heard the Waller transfer rumors to both St. Charles West and Webster Groves. I dont know the validity of anything especially with Kramer likely not being at St. Charles West next year.

I don't think anyone at this point knows which area players Majerus will be recruiting.

I know some of the recruits I've talked to are interested in seeing who he recruits.

Don't forget Majerus knows practically nothing about St. Louis area recruits. When he took the job he hadn't seen any of these kids in person.

He was relying on other peoples' evaluations — including AT's.

- Nate

>I was watching the old tape of the 2005 MLK shootout and who

>did I see Nate Latsch. If I knew you were there I would've

>spoken to you, same thing at the Beaumont-Vashon game this a

>couple months ago at Soldan. Anyway, dont let people on the

>board upset. Although I disagree with you A LOT, I

>appreciate your insight, because you are one of the top

>writers for high school sports in the area and we appreciate

>that you share inside info as you can closer to the truth

>than a lot of us can. Assuming Majerus will only look at

>the top players from St. Louis would I be wrong to assume

>that these are the only uncommitted area players he would be

>courting

>

>2008, Brandenburg, Thompson, Suggs, McCoy, Perry

>2009 Griffey, Wiss, Anderson, and Allen

>Yeah, I always do that with Will Kirksey and Will Lawson. I

>dont know why. Dont they both play AAU for Gateway. And

>I've heard the Waller transfer rumors to both St. Charles

>West and Webster Groves. I dont know the validity of

>anything especially with Kramer likely not being at St.

>Charles West next year.

I'd be very surprised if Kramer wasn't at St. Charles West as a senior.

Brad got a buyout package so he doesn't have to look for a new job right now.

- Nate

you are absolutely correct it could be the environment. I agree that increased recruiting budgets, assistant salaries, and athletic tutors are important to be a "big time" program.

However, I would suggest that Romar's tenure here did not elevate the program and left the cupboard bare. Grawer/Spoon had the same restrictions and environment and maximized the available local talent and Biondi alotted resources. There is criticism by many of Spoon for not doing more following Hughes to maintain a higher profile. I have not heard anyone suggest that support/$ decreased after Spoon left. Romar (and subsequently BS) did not reach the Spoon levels.

Romar is a great west coast (WC) coach and needs the big time budget and WC to succeed.

>Interesting. I wonder if RM would be interested in

>Roundtree. And if so, would he recruit him? I don't know if

>he would want to start off his career at SLU with the

>negative "He stole my player" that Sampson heard. Not that

>stealing Roundtree is equal to Gordon...but it would bring

>some negative publicity. I would assume the locals like

>Bernie would be furious.

I don't think it would bring negative publicity.

Roundtree has been very open about his desire to play at SLU.

I don't know if SLU will recruit him.

- Nate

SLU with RM as coach is a much different place than SLU with Soderberg. We immediately become a more attractive program. Roundtree didn't sign on the dotted line, so if he wants to take a fresh look at SLU with our new coach and the new staff asks him to take a look at us, I don't see anything wrong with that. Especially if the kid said he has wanted to play at SLU as Nate says.

Would set Bernie off. Reason number one why I am for it. This is a good example why Roundtree should have waited to commit. Things change quickly. Lets see if Lowery is even still the coach at SIU-C Roundtree is ready to enroll.

I don't think RM will go after him. He has committed to SIU-C and I don't think Majerus will do anything unless Roundtree makes it known publicly that he will not be going to SIU-C.

>You think Brad would stay in the city where he got shafted?

>Wouldn't he be a little embarrassed or uneasy?

Brad has a new house out in St. Charles and his kids are enrolled in schools here.

It's not that easy to uproot a family and move somewhere. You're talking about finding a new job you're interested in, selling a house, finding a new area to live and making the kids change schools/areas for the second time in six years.

I would guess that Soderberg will weigh his options over the next year and let Kramer graduate from high school — where he's been one of the best players in school history — before making a move.

How many head coaching jobs or assistant coaching jobs are available right now? If he waits till next spring, Brad will have a lot more options to choose from.

- Nate

>I don't think RM will go after him. He has committed to

>SIU-C and I don't think Majerus will do anything unless

>Roundtree makes it known publicly that he will not be going

>to SIU-C.

What if Roundtree calls SLU and talks to them?

- Nate

ps: By the way, I heard Roundtree was going to call SLU yesterday.

>iu meant to say that john favored slu which is what john

>said on the cusamono piece on channel 5 about two months

>ago.

so you lied?

>i have not told nate not to post. he can do whatever he

>wants. but i can debate his negativity as well. he has

>been nothing but negative towards the billikens for over a

>year and constantly insists teh billikens should be

>recruiting the lower tier area players. he never paints the

>full picture.

You want a "full picture" with rainbows and unicorns that has Soderberg getting commitments from Greg Oden and O.J. Mayo and LeBron James.

I AM NOT HERE TO BLOW SUNSHINE AND MAKE UP STUFF TO MAKE SLU LOOK BETTER.

If you want that, I can tell you the radio coordinates where you can find that.

>you all want to hear his negativity, good for you.

What negativity? Please go find all these examples of my negativity and how I've lied to make the program look bad.

>i personally would like to hear the full story and hear about

>who we are recruiting and who we are winning with in

>recruiting.

Get some new glasses. I've provided plenty of recruiting information on here that you choose to overlook. I've provided recruiting info this week that you've chosen to ignore.

Your problem is you read what you want to read whenever I post.

- Nate

I think Brad will wait this year out and either go WSU or follow the Bennett kid to his next stop. Bennett won't be at WSU long term and he is at the top of the list of multiple Big 10 schools if the current situation does not improve this year.

You are letting your emotions turn good, factual strings of posts turn into a bunch of silly personal accusations.

Most everyone wants Nate to continue to post information, and it shouldn't turn into a string of accusations every time he does so.

I think many of us are all thinking too small about who RM will be recruiting. I hope he is able to take the program way beyond the Femi J.'s and T. Roundtree's. That is the level of player we would have been satisfied with if BS were still HC. After investing over $1M in a long-term deal for RM, agreeing to significantly up the pay for ACs and just spend more $$$ in general on the program, I think we should be looking at much higher levels of talent for RM to recruit. Not intending to be critical of that level of player, but aren't they really rated as good, mid-major level players? I think Fr. B is expecting more than that and I believe we should be also. If FJ and TR are key pieces of next year's recruiting class then I think RM will have failed to deliver to the level of the expectations we all have today.

Roy, I know you did not say that Nate could not post - all I was doing was reaffirming that all are welcomed.

Femi John favored us like Brad T. favored us at one time but apparently Brad fell out of favor with him. Who a kid favors in Feb. does not mean that they will stay that way in Nov. particularily if the school stops working them hard.

What I want to hear is the truth - good or bad.