Recruiting information

Here's some recruiting info I found out yesterday:

I was told the Billikens were still trying to get in touch with Mantas G. at Three Rivers.

I talked to a couple area prospects. It looks like Majerus has talked to Wahsington junior guard Scott Suggs, but had not talked to the other kids I spoke with.

There's definitely a new feeling about SLU with area recruits.

John Brandenburg, the 6-foot-11 DeSmet junior forward/center, said he'd never heard of Majerus before this stuff happened with SLU, but he's impressed with the coach's track record for developing big guys.

"SLU’s a different school to me now," he said.

I had been hearing for a while that Brandenburg would not go to SLU. Now, I think SLU has a chance.

Other players I talked to were definitely interested in the new coach and were looking forward to talking to him very soon.

I think this coaching change has given the Billikens a chance to grab several of the area's top prospects. I don't think that was the case a month ago.

- Nate

How could he have not heard of Rick Majerus? Did he not watch college basketball growing up? Did he not watch ESPN the last few years, at least during tournament time? Do HS kids really kids really have that short of an attention span?

... Majerus has been out of coaching for what five years now? John would have been in sixth grade at that time, right? My kid doesn't remember that I told her to turn the computer off five minutes ago, let alone what I said five years ago. And she's John's age as well. Only 5'2" and weighing in at 97 pounds. Not a low post player.

By my calculations, Brandenburg would have been 12 years old when Majerus was last coaching.

Unless he was growing up in Utah, he probably wouldn't have been very familiar with the Utes coach.

There are probably a lot of people who don't remember the ESPN talking heads from their playing or coaching days.

- Nate

He's a junior now, making him 17, maybe 16 if he's young. Majerus was still coaching in 2004. That's 3 years ago. He was 14, maybe 13. I know what schools most of the guys in the NBA players for and who their college coach was. I guess a lot of kids dont, but Majerus sent 11 guys to the NBA. I'm surprised a high school kid wouldn't know about him. I guess with school, girls, friends, video games, internet amongst other things, kids just dont know, but if you are being recruited by colleges, you should have done some research and be familiar with the big names in coaching.

Thanks for the nice words.

From what I can gather, Majerus has just talked to various coaches/friends all over and tried to grab a kid or two. I don't know that he did much, if any, of his own evaluation of kids.

SLU is now probably better off saving scholarships for next year, when the coach can have a chance to get out and evaluate and go after the kids he sees fitting in with his program.

That doesn't help the depth for next year's team, however.

- Nate

Nate, as always, good stuff, please keep it coming.

why hasn't the pd hired you yet?

I hope RM was able to contact mantas before the cold period and can bring him on board.

this whole deal excites me, i hope to have to change my tagline

>Nate, as always, good stuff, please keep it coming.

>why hasn't the pd hired you yet?

That's not going to happen, unfortunately.

People don't move around much at the P-D, either moving to better jobs somewhere else or up the food chain.

I interviewed twice for a job at the KC Star a couple years ago. I didn't get that job, but the person who did has already gone from low-ranking high school prep writer to one of the main prep writers to the Kansas University beat.

I have no regrets. Except for a family member with some health problems, my life couldn't be any better right now.

- Nate