SLU basketball will be the envy of the Midwest.........

If the press conference is any indication. I was only at the press conference for a couple minutes and I am excited as I have ever been about SLU basketball. Majerus has the ability to take this team to the next level.

By the way, Majerus is an instant celebrity on campus. People are talking about Billikens basketball like I have never heard them talk before. In the BSC people were all trying to get a look at the new coach.

>People are talking about Billikens basketball like I have

>never heard them talk before. In the BSC people were all

>trying to get a look at the new coach.

As I was walking in, I walked past one of the dance team members who was directing people to the press conference.

I overheard her tell someone "I wanted to go to the press conference, not direct people to it."

Good stuff.

- Nate

I don't know what the student section was like when Spoon was here. But when I went back in the dark ages there were just a hardcore bunch of us that went to games. Sometimes it felt like we were all alone especially back in the Arena days. A few games you'd get good turnouts but rarely. Like when we played Austin Carr and ND. I think more kids were cheering for ND than us. From posts on here it still seems like most SLU kids would prefer a seat in the Dentists office to one at Scott Trade. I think this is where RM can have his biggest impact. If kids are pumped about the team and word of mouth spreads that a Bills game is the place to be, we start a tradition like the Fez, and the house that Rick's Help Building is rocking every game, going to SLU will be a whole new ballgame. I hope someone creative out there comes up with a nickname for the Student Section, Rick's Roost, Rick's Cafe Billikana, Rick's Raiders, anything and convinces the AD that some kind of signage for that area be installed. If you can't get excited about Rick Majerus being our coach, you better check your pulse rate.

Frankly, it was disappointing. Don't get me wrong. Much, much better than in recent times -Grawer, Romar and Sodie - but not at the level, by any means, of Marquette, Dayton, or what you would expect/hope for in comparison to the team assembled on the Court.

Also, Spoon greatly encourage, supported, mentioned and praised the college kids.

I was at dinner last night and overheard the table behind metalking about SLU and Majerus.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

... I think he is closest to a similar event ... Cremins taking over at Charleston or wherever he did. I suspect the Cremins hiring generated the same talk at that school as the Majerus thing does here. Slu'72? Comments?

If the buzz there was similar to here, and then I think Cremins took them to the big dance, the momentum was intiated and then sustained. Sustainment is the key gentlemen. Sustainment. Didn't happen after Hughes, didn't happen after the Miracle in Memphis. Could argue on some accounts that it happened after Claggs with Hughes' signing but I'd say that was a stretch.

Majerus' hiring is the first step. Getting two or so commits from the St. Louis kids for '08 is the next step. Arena opening is the third step. I don't know if I should squeeze an NCAA appearance in between steps two and three but who knows. Given only Mitchell and Relaphorde to replace Ian, I don't think so but who knows.

... not right now because its the artificiality that is a major news making event. Some could say "Majerus, what an idiot for going to that place" and they wouldn't be that far off right now. "Envy" is something you still place on programs like Duke, Georgetown, Uconn and the like. If you want to envy programs in the midwest, I would offer Xavier, SIU, Butler, Creighton and the like. But it ain't us. Not by a longshot.

CofC was in a similar situation to SLU when they let Herion go. Even worse it was done in June. Their first choice was Marshall but he stiffed them a day after taking the post, ala Altman at Ark. Supposedly one of the boosters was a golfing friend of Cremmins who then expressed interest. Done deal. PC and press was huge here in Cton. Excitement continues. Biggest thing to happen was CofC was trying to raise funds for the expansion of Kresse Court/Arena. Cremmins signing put them over the top within a month. Now as to recruiting, he had one JUCO all American who was being recruitied heavily by MD, NCS, and some SEC schools, this kid calls Cremmins to ask if he'd be interested in him. LOI followed shortly thereafter. And Cremmins doesn't have the national rep RM has. Yes he took GT to the final four, and he knows NYC backwards and forwards, but he wasn't on ESPN, did local work mostly Southern Conference, and has been out a lot longer than RM. I would expect the same, if not greater at SLU. In fact have sent my check in for two bricks.

Kansas, Memphis, Mich. State, Indiana, Ohio State, and the Illini. Those are the big boys of the midwest. Then you have a second group that include SIU, Butler, XU, and Creighton. But , I will give you this Futurebilliken those (Creighton excluded) second programs would have a hard time pulling off what we did.

yes, but did anyone say anything that made sense. I think not. I know those guys at that table, I can assure you it was mostly BS, especially from the one loud mouth guy, you know the one.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Envy is relative. I would say other schools athletic directors are envious of us acquiring Majerus compared to their own coaches, even a school like U of I. Lots of schools would kill for Majerus's name let alone his coaching abilities.