How's everybody feeling?

I know there's a lot of nervous people out there, especially when I get phone calls asking about whether or not St. Louis U. has scheduled a press conference.

There's been a lot of misinformation out there from the start, so everyone takes sides on who and what they can believe. Do you believe Frank? Do you believe Tim McKernan? Do you believe Bernie? Do you believe anonymous internet rumors and reports?

Rick Majerus would be a great hire. Problem is, it's Rick Majerus. We've already seen him have a press conference in front of the USC logo, only to change his mind. Some coaches just like the attention of being courted by schools, even if they aren't fully ready to make a move. Based on how many jobs it seems Majerus has flirted with since retiring, he might be that guy.

Hopefully something gets resolved soon. The longer this drags on, the less likely it appears that it will happen. And, even if it it does happen with Majerus, there's no telling whether he'll still be the coach for the first game of the season.

Even if they don't get Majerus, I hope SLU has realized that going after a big fish will generate some excitement for a program that hasn't had much to be excited about for a while. Hopefully the next target will generate similar interest, though a lot of people could be turned off after flirting with Majerus and then ending up with a Cuonzo Martin.

I truly believe this program can be a big winner. There's no reason the Billikens shouldn't be going to the NCAA tournament on a regular basis. If SLU makes the commitment, it can happen.

- Nate

Good stuff Nate. One way or the other, Levick and Biondi are going to have to answer questions this afternoon at the press conference they scheduled to tout the status of the arena project.

24 hours ago I thought this was a done deal. Now I wouldn't be surprised to see it go either way. I truly hope that Majerus just isn't stringing everyone along.

Yes to everything you are saying. Yes, I'm worried that this could fall through. Yes, Cuonzo Martin or almost anybody would be a big disappointment after flirting with Majerus. And yes, SLU can be a big time winner.

What time is that press conference? What's it going to be about?

This is from TT's blog last week:

Got a press release today saying that Biondi and Levick were among those scheduled to appear at a St. Louis Press Club event on Thursday to talk about the new arena. The event was scheduled in advance of the firing, so don’t go reading anything into the timing, but it will be interesting to see if all the scheduled participants attend. And if they answer questions, or just point at drawings.

I think they either close the deal today with the press conference tomorrow morning or they get Cuonzo Martin and the other Plan B guys on the plan to STL for interviews tomorrow. Tonight has to be the deadline for RM.

... but here is a thought I came up with last night regarding the holdup. There was talk that Rick M., if he took the SLU job, would have his life insurance policy from Utah voided. If Rick demanded a new life insurance policy as part of his package, the insurer would have to have a physical of Rick. Given his health history, they also most likely would ask to review his medical records. Even though the deal is done between Biondi and Majerus, insurance company doctors could be in Milwaukee looking over Rick's records with company execs deciding whether or not Rick is insurable. What if no insurance company will issue a multi-million dollar life insurance policy on Rick? Might be the holdup.