Biondi and Bernie: Major Obstacles for the Program

MB73

Here is an example of Biondi handling an issue... read the interview that he "granted" Jim Bokern, truly a Billiken soccer great. It is revealing:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...E7?OpenDocument

Now look at the ranting and raving of Bernie on his board at 15:26 today, shows his true colors, he HATES SLU for some reason:

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=449930

Hey Bernie, Gonzaga has PE for Chrissakes...

These are two big problems we have. Senior management and the press.

Do you think Rick Majerus would honestly be concerned about a two bit sports columnist in a city like St. Louis? The press in this town is about as tame as you could find. I doubt it's any more vicious than Salt Lake City. The concern about our Grand Poobah Biondi is much more legitimate. It'a all on his shoulders right now, and the best thing I can say about our chances is that the President of our great university hates being made to look the fool.

I was at the Cards-Cubs game at Wrigley today near the press-box and pointed ouut Bernie to my wife. I joked that he was probably writing something nasty about SLU at that time. Turns out it was true at his post there was basically the 2nd inning of today's debacle (how can we not get a single run of Jason Marquis...just awful).

I would suggest Biondi doesn't give two hoots to what Bubble Butt Bernie writes about him. Again, ban him from the Fetz. It will be very interesting to see how the ink flows if we get a coach that finally leads us to some prominence. Does BM praise Biondi, or start banging on the Baseball team's lack of success?

my guess is BM will have plenty to complain about with the Cards hardly better than last year's 83 game winners; he will have to really swallow hard to say anything good about the new arena in town; maybe he can lead the way for the city to revitalize

the Keil Opera House since he sees himself as such a prime mover and we just see him as more BM

Its interesting that Bernie and Biondi dislike each other so much and yet are both very much alike. They are both very gifted at what they do, but both marginalize their effectiveness with huge egos, pettiness, refusing to listen to opposing viewpoints, etc. Although I have never been a big fan of Bernie, I will say that his article on Wednesday sounded like a pretty accurate take on Biondi, Levick, and the whole situation with Brad's termination. If Bernie's wrong, why no response from Biondi?

D1 hoops - the greatest show on earth.

I suspect Biondi wouldn't reduce himself to the level of responding to a sportswriter; really, how many heavy duty leaders feel a need to justify themselves to others...especially BM. However, remember at the ground breaking ceremony, I think Biondo did make a dig at BM.

Biondo - it was a typo, but it sort of evokes a Rambo persona, so I'm going to use from now on, and I grant the use of this intellectual property to all readers of this board.

UNCA:

Under normal circumstances I would say your are right; don't dignify a journalistic bully like Bernie by responding. Unfortunately these aren't normal circumstances; its been 18 years of stuff like this from Biondi. He publiclly humiliates his staff and then runs and hides under his desk and lets others answer the tough questions or leaves them unanswered. If Bernie questioned my professional competence, integrity and courage - which is what BM has doneto Biondi - you can be darn sure there would be a response. Silence in the face of those type of accusations constitutes an admission of their truth. Finally, if Biondi feels he has no obligation to answer what the journalists say (Bernie has hardly been the only critical voice) he certainly owes some type of explanation of the timing to long-term supporters, like you and me. I don't know about you, but if I don't hear an explanation, and soon, I am done.

I'm on the same page as you as to how Biondo and SLU has handled this PR debacle. Just a difference of opinion as to what SLU or Biondo owes BM. I think Biondo owes Billiken Nation a clear explanation.

first, unca, i like the biondo label! :-)

second, unca, will you be finding a new moniker?

imo, us hardcores are delusional to think that it doesnt matter what bernie writes.

bernie writes to the casual fans. the exact fan we all want to become billiken fans and the exact fan that i assume soderberg was fired for. we heard all about wanting to insure the fetz gets filled and we need to generate a positive buzz about the program and attract those very same casual fans.

yet folks think that whatever bernie writes will be lightly discarded?

sorry folks, bernie is the only one hitting homeruns in the last week. and the fact slu just lets it carry on and on only allows the casual fan to buy in to bernie even harder.

if biondo wants to win this war, he better start fighting back publically.

Biondi has built up as much ill will among members of the community as he has built up good will. He has just crushed small business owners whose vision of midtown was not the same as his. He has been extremely heavy handed with faculty and staff that have fallen out of his favor. He has done very little, until recently, to build on his 19 YEAR OLD promise to deliver a top 50 basketball program.

Biondi has been a huge plus over his tenure for SLU, but for certain people to act like this criticism of him isn't his own fault is delusional.

It's way too early to decide to change my moniker. In a few years, we may wax nostalgic for the Soderberg era...but if this exercise is a success, maybe I'll honor the architect and call myself Biondo...

Done with what? This is the only D1 program for miles, and I'm hooked. Maybe in a few years I could get excited about SIUE, but that's a ways away. Ever the optimist, I'll stick around and enjoy my friends, including you, and avoid those who radiate bad energy.

UNCA:

I've been here for 25 years but I am tired of Biondi's unfullfilled promises and most of, complete lack of respect for employees and supporters. We are owed an explanation on this even if he wants to bury his head in the sand with the media. I love D1 BB and I'll probably still go to games but unless Biondi or Levick give us an explanation for the timing of this latest deal, plus a good hire, I am done with giving $, Billiken Club, and probably season tickets. I am an MU undergrad/law grad and a season FB ticket holder and I'll probably just go back to MU. Their program is far from perfect but they at least seem to be headed in the right direction. Let me know if you're interested but hurry, the mini-van is filling up. Still hoping that Biondi will come to his senses but I am not optimistic. By the way, was that a relative of yours that past away recently ? Noticed it today in the obits in the Post.

If you think that Bernie hates SLU because of what he's written, how do you think Cardinal fans, Rams fans, Blues fans and Mizzou fans feel? Has Bernie NOT ripped on each of these programs? If everything was real rosy for each program, he wouldn't be able to say anything negative. Of course most fans agree with him as long as it's not their program (at the time) he's ripping on.

Time to get over it.