majerus

now that foxsports is reporting that he is in town, i think we can at least accept the fact there is some truth to all this. i think biondi wants to make a splash and knows what he's doing.

BUT, i don't think rm will be our next coach. here's why. first, he does this to every school - mizzou, iowa, creighton, arkansas, usc. every school in the nation has at some point thought rm was going to be there next coach. second, if there is any truth to what bm said re: rm's concern about letting some at-risk high-schoolers in, then biondi's going to look elsewhere. this has been a huge obstacle at slu for years. i know everyone's argument that stanford and duke get players through, blah, blah. it is different at slu because some of the big-time players we want to take risks on stanford wouldn't even look twice at, but they don't need to. there are enough kids all over the country who want to go to stanford. slu needs to take the risk. marquette does. depaul does, etc. but slu never has. that's why craig upchurch didn't come. that's why albert thomas didn't come. the list goes on.

if that's a big issue with RM, i don't think it will happen.

if not a big issue and rm comes, don't be shocked if we get a few commitments in the next month from some local kids.

maybe I'm wrong, but I think SLU takes anyone who qualifies per the NCAA. The difference may be some easy majors to hide kids.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I'm not questioning you, I'm sure you know better than I do, but do you know what the differences are. ie ... this qualifies per the NCAA, but you need to be at this level for SLU

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

>you are wrong.

The Craig Upchurch thing was a debacle. He went on to fine career at Houston. No need to rehash. But I thought Romar got an understanding from Biondi that the university would admit any player who was NCAA qualified. The issue now, as others have pointed out, is the lack of a PE program to hide these guys in once they are admitted.

Add Long Beach State to the list as his most recent flirt:

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_5709802

"When the Long Beach job opened, he became intrigued, and made contact with Vic Cegles through a mutual friend. The two men met and talked often, and it appeared for a time that Majerus was destined for Long Beach."

Sound familiar? But one thing is odd. Before this year Majerus only seemed to flirt with the big jobs (BCS types). Now, it is not only Creighton and St. Louis but Long Beach State?!? I am really starting to believe that Majerus wants to coach again and do it now. Could the rumors that Majerus has stashed a couple of recruits for next season be true? Thus, time is of the essence this time around? Or is RM just a serial flirter who likes the idea of coaching again, being wined and dinned, but can't pull the trigger when it comes to signing on the dotted line?

I think it is a HUGE issue... instead of PE some schools name it "Health Management" or whatever... wouldn't Kalen Grimes @ MU have been the perfect guy for last year's team? He is studying to be a personal trainer. If you can find a few guys like that for depth, it is a "whole new..."

" maybe I'm wrong, but I think SLU takes anyone who qualifies per the NCAA. The difference may be some easy majors to hide kids."

You are correct. I remember a few years ago (sorry, the names allude me, use those brain cells to remember where I live)when some prospects were taking the ACT 3 or more times to achieve the (I think) 17 score to qualify by NCAA. And there have been kids forced to sit out for academic reasons.

So yes if they qualify, but keeping them passing is can be a problem.

>very interesting reason not to take the job at lbs.

>however, how could anything have changed with respective to

>the life insurance policy. weird...

For those who don't want to read the article to find the "interesting reason" why he turned the LBS job (or the supposed reason) mentioned by mcglotherirvin, here it is:

"But this is a man who has been battling a serious weight problem and has had several heart attacks, and was given a lifetime insurance policy while at Utah that might have been canceled - he won't be vested in it until next year - had he accepted the 49er position."

Sounds bogus to me. You flirt with 50 different schools about their HC position knowing you can't take any of them because your life insurance might get canceled? Don't think so. I assume Rick wants the school to promise to do something for him financially should his life insurance from Utah get canceled (i.e., get a new policy). Perhaps the LBS pockets were not deep enough to deal with all the extras that would have gone along with hiring RM. That's my take on the situation. LBS had a credible fallback candidate in Monson. SLU's back is up against it. We have to meet Majerus's demands.

What do you think Majerus will think when he finds out SLU recruits need to pass 15 hours of Philosophy and/or Theology. Hardly what 18 year old kids are wanting to hear. SLU is not an easy place to successfully recruit for a number of reasons. Lack of easy majors are only one of many.

Craig Upchurch actually took a summer class or two to see if he was a fit; he was Grawer's recruit not Romar's-he was the 3-4 player for the big chill,Mel Robinson, to play in-out with. Mel tried to get CU to pick it up academically when they were in high school; I stood in line with them at the fired chicken place near Vashon and listened to their conversations. Mel got it and he got in. CU was not going to compete academically and the school would not admit him-I believe Grawer made the contact for him at Houston. Today, SLU has a median ACT of nearly 28 about 30% of the student body gets some kind of academic aid. You might be eligible to get in some school with a 17 or 18 but Jeremy Biles, Pullen and Horace dixon just get your hopes up for no reason. Soderberg didn't give HD minutes when he needed him because of the effect it would have had on the team when he left; you are taking English, history and other basic required core subjects for the first two years and you have to step it up from what you did in high school; it is great that TL could go to prep school and compete but not all kids can make that leap. SLU owns a hotel on Grand near the med school and now an arena-they could start an internation hotel/tourism management

program; they could also start an extension of the physical therapy/nursing programs to include P.E, type interests but surely we do not want to water down our degrees to let inferior

students wander about the campus; they might get in trouble and emarrass everyone. That being said we did start a pottery major for Chris Henrich, didn't we? So maybe we could stick some athletes in the "communications major" area that seem

to be popular now a days. If you can talk out loud you get a grade? But can you pass philosophy? Theology-you used to be able to take marriage and comparative religions and the old testament-if you have gone to church for 12 or more years that probably is the basis for a c grade or more--if you study it like a history course you could do better-possibly we could hide people in a jounalism-sports writer type program-people like BM and Rene' must have had some college

It took a few days for me to remember but I know I have met some of RM's relatives who live(d) in St. Louis a few years ago. So he does have some connection. I also think that he does want to coach at a Jesuit school if he comes back. This life ins. policy is bogus - he has no one to provide for except his aged mother who with the money he has and the money he would make should be plenty to take care of her for the time she may have left. SLU could simply assure RM that the medical stuff for him and mom will be covered that would be worth plenty.

Majerus has coached Rhodes Scholars at 3 different schools. While at Utah he led the nation in Academic All-Americans. He had 3.0 or better students 170 times at Utah. He spent almost 20 years as undegrad, assistant coach and coach at Marquette University, and was almost the head coach at Notre Dame, some schools with core requirements in Theology, Philosophy and more.

Academics should be at the very bottom of the list of concerns when speaking of Rick Majerus.