KFNS Saying Majerus wants the job

slu72

I'm not entirely sure about which story is true, but Cusumano seems serious about this. A caller just called in saying that he didn't think that a big name coach like Majerus would coach at SLU, and Frank just went off on the guy and very sternly reiterated what he must have said at the beginning of the show, which sounds like the first post in the thread.

Not sure how exactly Dick Versace would figure into this, but he did work in the NBA for a number of years, most recently the Memphis Grizzlies. It appears that he retired from them a couple years ago.

I do not want to get my hopes up to high and be let down. This will take two very big things that have not happened in the past. A TRUE commitment from SLU to the overall basketball budget and a TRUE commitment from RM to return to coaching. But I will raise my chances to 50/50 now.

The Hank Raymonds connection has not really been brought up....he played at SLU and coached with Rick Majerus....

"Henry C. "Hank" Raymonds served as assistant men's basketball coach at Marquette University under Eddie Hickey and Al McGuire from 1961-1977 and was the program's head coach from 1977 to 1983. During his tenure as head coach, Raymonds compiled a record of 126-60, good for a 71.6 winning percentage. Five of his players were All-America honorees and 16 players were selected in the NBA Draft. All six of his Marquette teams advanced to post-season play, including five trips to the NCAA Tournament and one to the NIT. His '77-78 team went 24-4 and was ranked No. 3 nationally in the final United Press International poll. He was named the 1979 Medalist Sports Education Coach of the Year after that team finished 22-7 and was ranked 10th in the Associated Press poll and 13th by UPI. After his coaching days, he served as the school's athletic director from 1977-87. He was responsible for elevating Marquette's women's athletic teams to Division I status in 1985. Raymonds is a member of the Marquette University, Saint Louis University and Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Halls of Fame."

I don't think Frank would outright lie on the radio. He said he has talked to Rick. He wants the job. Asst's will have to be paid, so it seems the ball is in Biondi's court.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Frank has a lot of connections in college basketball -- I was waiting to interview Bruce Weber at the Adolph Rupp presentation at the Renaissance hotel during the 2005 Final Four, and distinctly remember Frank and Bruce chumming it up and then Gene Keady comes up and asks Frank about his wife and kids, etc., like they were old pals from high school. It was neat to see that interaction, especially with Grumpy Gene. But Frank is well-connected in the coaching ranks. I take his word pretty seriously.

Because coaches like to eat. Actually Frank is just a likeable guy, he's seldom negative and everyone knows he lives and breathes college basketball.

I just believe 100% that if Frank says he talked to Majerus, he talked to Majerus. He could easily have said his source or anything else, but he was adamant that the info was fact and 1st hand. Imo if Rick doesn't come it is because Biondi won't pay for the entire package. If that is true I'm not happy Brad was fired.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

He had no clue about this hiring and was as stunned as anyone, probably more.

He guaranteed that Stemmler was a "done deal" last year and that SLU was "in the driver's seat".

Some insider. It's fine to be a cheerleader and lord knows we need some but not at the cost of inaccurate information, which he often reports. He wants SLU to be a winner so bad it clouds his journalistic judgement IMO.

If you listen to him the last couple months Suggs was practically in Brad's pocket.

Its intersesting to see how the negative posters have become positive posters. it really shows who the true fans are. you have the guys who did not like brad but are now showing that they are still fans, you have the guys who have been optimistic this whole time, and then you have the negative guys

Frank has had a connection to RM for sometime - not sure where it came from. Biondi started this Chinese fire drill so now he has to finish it. He will need to come up with the money whether he wants to or not. Maybe he is putting the squeeze on some boosters right now. Intersting that CL has told the players that a new coach will be on board next week.

RM to SLU? The Keystone Cops down at SLU administration are going to pull this off?

I think they had no plan... this is just some flimsy ruse to look like we went for the home run and we will wind up with an jr-birdman-assistant-hopefull-up-and-comer-with-potential-according-to-Biondi.

HOPE they get RM; great gamble if we do. But I can't believe that our "leaders" will suddenly be effective and become major leagers.

"Its intersesting to see how the negative posters have become

positive posters. it really shows who the true fans are. you

have the guys who did not like brad but are now showing that

they are still fans, you have the guys who have been

optimistic this whole time, and then you have the negative

guys"

ummm i am not sure if you were inferring that to me, but i am a poster that was anti brad (not him as a person, but his coaching style and recruiting abilities) and now i am slowly becoming alittle bit more positive because i think some good things are about to happen. but, what i ask is: because i have expressed my discontent with soderberg, how did that make me any less of a fan when compared to someone who is satisfied with soderberg? is that what you were saying? and by the way, even before soderberg was fired, i never cared for bernie and timmerman... and why wouldnt i become more optimistic over the past few days? this is the most excitement SLU basketball has seen in nearly 2 years.

noyou dont get it. It shows that you have been a true fan this whole time you just wanted to see the program move in a better direction. however if someone complained and then what they asked for happened and they still complained it would show they are negative