How attractive is this job?

bg

Interesting thread on the A-10 board ranking the relative merits of the coaching positions within the A-10. SLU gets a lot of love.

BTW, if you read it, stick with the first page or two. After that it deteriorates into a Dayton/Xavier debate.

Very, look at the Spoon years. The guy was one of the major celebs in the city. Majerus would generate more buzz and excitement. Hell, he'd have babies named after him and get his own restaurant, Ricks Roost or Rick's Rigatoni and Ravioli Shop.

The job as it stands now is not very attractive. If the job was all that attractive Spoon would not have quit. The job can be very attractive if Biondi commits to bringing everything to the table needed to deliver on his long promise of a top 50 program.

Yeah, there are certainly serious problems. However, there probably isn't a program in the country that doesn't have negatives attached that the outsider doesn't identify. (yep, I'll include Duke, Florida, NC, et al in that statement--do you think the high rollers at THOSE schools don't have ego issues?) We all watch this program closely, so we're aware of all the warts. The point is, the people who are familiar with the A-10 look at this as being one of the more attractive positions in the conference, both for what it offers and for the potential it holds.

On the face of it is. Dig lower it is not. If they are going to start budgeting overall like a top 50 program and expand the athletic department then it is.

I was told yesterday to throw out the budget number on mid-majority.com it is not truly accurate. In that number SLU includes the money value of the full ride scholarship and it also includes the rent paid to Scott. Many schools don't include the scholarships as part of the budget. The Bills number is inflated higher than any state school that does include it because of the huge difference in tuition. The Bills budget is also inflated because of the rent paid to Scott and those expenses are not present at schools that have on campus venues or don't play at venues as nice as Scott.

This makes the actual dollar amount to run the basketball program much smaller. Smaller than any other school that SLU is trying to compete with. The money SIU, MSU, St Joe, Dayton, XU, Creighton, Charlotte, and other similar programs spend to run their basketball programs are in fact much higher than the amount SLU spends.

>I was told yesterday to throw out the budget number on

>mid-majority.com it is not truly accurate. In that number

>SLU includes the money value of the full ride scholarship

>and it also includes the rent paid to Scott. Many schools

>don't include the scholarships as part of the budget. The

>Bills number is inflated higher than any state school that

>does include it because of the huge difference in tuition.

>The Bills budget is also inflated because of the rent paid

>to Scott and those expenses are not present at schools that

>have on campus venues or don't play at venues as nice as

>Scott.

>

>This makes the actual dollar amount to run the basketball

>program much smaller. Smaller than any other school that SLU

>is trying to compete with.

Interesting information Brian. Thanks for sharing. I thought we were cheap (couldn't believe the coach's cel phone thing) but you have confirmed it. Father Lawrence is a businessman. Yes, Biondi will have to greatly increase the basketball budget to give Majerus the things he will demand to take the job. But Father Biondi knows he can sell Majerus. I honestly believe that IF RM takes the job the University will net out aheaed (new expenses v. new revenue) in the very first year Majerus is the baskeball HC. If inking Majerus is all about money at this stage (I pray this is the case), I absolutely believe Bionid will close the deal. Surely he will haggle with Rick ... but the two big men will come to a meeting of the minds. I say this because Biondi has put his personal reputation on the line with this ill-timed firing. Fr. Lawrence does not like it when Larry looks bad. Caveat: this is all premised on Majerus really wanting the job as Frank C has claimed over and over on the radio.

On the rent thing, I think you have to include it because otherwise SLU would be paying overhead on the building and paying for the building itself. Just because a building is there, doesn't make it free.

>On the face of it is. Dig lower it is not. If they are

>going to start budgeting overall like a top 50 program and

>expand the athletic department then it is.

This is an attractive job.

The right coach can win here, instead of complaining about cell phone bills.

I know gas prices are going up, but it doesn't cost that much to drive within an hour of St. Louis to recruit kids.

- Nate

It is not attractive if they are not willing to pay to hire quality asst. coaches. Look Nate, this is not a very attractive job right now and that is why in the last two go arounds they couldn't even get certain people to interview for it after they expressed intial interest. I think the budget is about to get a big time boost and that will make this a very attractive job.

Attactive - Yes - but we were in a major conference during the Spoon years - CUSA. Huggins and Cincy, Denny Crum and Louisville, Memphis together with DePaul and Marquette. No comparision with the current A 10. No doubt, though, that potential exists.

I posted this before, so this is a repeat. The job is attractive because:

New arena

New practice and training facilities.

We are located in the midwest. St. Louis is a hub city and thus you have a talent base from St. Louis + KC, Chi, Peoria, and outstate Mo. This is good recruiting territory.

Media exposure. St. Louis + the A-10 gives you east coast exposure and key cities on the east coast + media exposure in the home city.

The A-10 is a weak conference, so a good coach can win the conference.

Scholarships are available.

The team has a good talent base already.

We have a very attractive campus.

St. Louis is known on a national basis by African Americans because of Nelly, etc.

St. Louis provides plenty of opportunity for fun. It is a large city and as a consequence there is a lot to do.

For student athletes the school has a good rating. #77 according to a post made by David Nark.

The negatives were primarily the athletic dept., but this may be in the "repair shop" w/ our new set up.

With RM at the helm we have the potential to dominate the A-10. Let me give you an example, the College of Charleston just landed a big time JUCO SF. He was being recruited by Maryland, NCS, and Ole Miss. This kid's coach and father told him to call Bobby Cremmins and ask if the College of Charleston would be interested in meeting with him. He signed last week to play for the Cougars. I truly believe this type of stuff would happen if RM were coach of the Saint Louis University Billikens.

This is an extremely interesting job, for the vast majority of candidates we would look at.

there is so much to like about the campus, the students, the team personality, the friendliness of the staff, the city, the cost of living, etc., etc. Cardinals & Rams, Soulard, the Hill, Forest Park, AA hub, even the nice fan base as reflected on this website (for the most part). All of the above will help recruiting.

What's not to like (uh-oh, I forgot about the other stuff. . . . .)??