Bernie's Take

Really? The SLU job is among the worst in NCAA D-I? I beg to differ. This horrible job has a new arena coming online, apparently boosters with enough money to make a difference, some quality players/people, etc. Sure, the ironfist rule of Biondi is probably no fun, but to say it is among the worst in NCAA D-I undermines any credibility this column purported to have.

I think he makes some good points and raises good questions, but then shows his true motivation at the end of the column.

Hmmmmmm........I am sure Levick will be as excited as you are when your boss publicly usurps your prerogative and slam dunks one of your employees: her "stamp" has been REEE-JECTED!

Forget who the next basketball coach is: The worst of this whole situation is that Levick may want to leave after moving many other sports forward (i.e., women's bb an volleyball), defending the A-10 move even though it was Woolard's decision(side note: it costs a LOT to enter or leave a conference), and working tirelessly for the arena.

Losing her would have a deleterious effect on all athletics.

davidnark said,

"He orchestrated the Grawer/Spoon change, which worked out very well."

and people say i have no expectations!

looking back spoon had three good years and 4 mediocre to poor years.

he never once won the number of games that grawer won in any season.

hey biondi, hit a homerun. NOW

you act as though it was a given that attendance would be nothing.

if true, then how did we average nearly 9k this year? 9k in a 10k arena would not be empty.

i do not think marcus relephorde and anthony mitchell = zilch. and it remains to be seen if knollmeyer and maguire are also = zilch.

to defend this act at this time is not possible. unless the homerun is hit, we are doomed to the worst startover in a long long time.

moytoy is right. the slu job is not the worst.

however, think about creighton, marquette, georgetown, gonzaga, butler, and st joes just for comparison sakes.

shouldnt our program be on par with these schools? we are no where close. and that isnt any of our past coaches fault.

Roy, how can you ingore the three NCAA appearances, multiple NCAA wins, record attendance, and overall buzz of the program? Spoon's program had a full story in Sports Illustrated for Christ's sake. You can spin the stats anyway you want (and making the tournament 43% of the time is 43% better than Brad ever accomplished), but Spoon led the program through its golden years in the modern era. Fault Spoon for not taking that success to the current Gonzaga/Marquette level, but don't accuse him of not being successful at SLU.

You really think the SLU job isn't as attractive as St. Joe's or Butler? I don't. Butler has had a very, very short run of good success, but cannot offer the resources of SLU. St. Joe's has tiny facilities and is the third-wheel in town. Martelli defines that program.

Marquette aside, why do you have this crazy belief that SLU's resources are noticeably worse than most mid-majors? Most of these programs would KILL to have a booster offer them $8 million to influence the coaching situation.

Face it Roy, you are allowing your fixation with a now-former unsuccesful coach at SLU dictate a disdain for the program.

i said nothing of the sort. i was only replying to your slam of rich grawer by pointing out that grawer was a success at slu as well. if not for the fact that xavier was a smidge better, grawer would have went to three straight ncaa tourney's and if you want to play fantasy basketball, i think i could take bonner's teams vs claggett's teams straight up and whip you more times than you would win.

grawer's biggest problem was he didnt get to participate in the great midwest/conference usa and was stuck in the one bid midwestern cities conference.

Recent tounament history including a number one seed and an elite eight run. The school is situated in a much better area to recruit players than SLU. It has been shown it can be done there on a big level recently. THose levels haven't been achieved here in almost 60 years.

butler has more success than slu. sorry.

st joes was an elite 8 team what 3 years ago.

i agree martelli defines the program. stability is what slu needs and has never had. we should take a clue from st joes.

let me know when my list of programs has a booster offer the 8 million to fire a coach. the point is my list shows some stability to go along with their success.

Tell me one bit of fact BM offers; talk about hiding all BM does is ask questions. What are his

credentials of the last 5 years, anyway. Does he stay home and watch games on TV ? Is BM ever seen at a sporting event?That is my question? It doesn't imply trueness or falsity,

does it?