Hesitant but Excited

SLU_Nick

The general tone of the board is obviously shock. But it seems like everyone including the kool aiders are excited about what is going to happen. Even in the end Roy and others were saying "Its useless to talk about firing Soderberg because it wont happen". No one was really backing soderberg and saying he was a good coach. Now that this has happened, the board is more excited than since the time of the Saint Bonnies loss. No where on the board has anyone been outraged. Even Billikan himself just continues to attack posters, not attack the University for its decision making.

I am the most excited about the program since the 2 losses to the Dukes and Bonnies.

It does certainly make you wonder if Sodie had an idea it was coming as he hasnt closed the deal on people who were dying to commit somewhere (Peterson). Hopefully insiders keep informing us.

This is certainly a turning point. Onward and Upward.

Nick

Well, love him or hate him, he was a true throwback pioneer of the game. The SLU program game is where it is today because of the efforts of Brad. Hats off to Coach Soderberg and his departing staff. Everyone should be grateful to have seen Brad coach because he’s a fine young coach. I look for bigger and better results from this guy in the future. It just didn’t work out here at SLU because of reasons other than his coaching abilities. Good luck to him and his family and I hope SLU brings in a coach that can bring us a championship

Unless he is the best actor in history, based upon my discussions with Brad on Sunday night he had no idea that this was coming. He was excited about the two recruits who had signed and said he was really enjoying the recruiting competition for the other recruits. He said he was looking forward to next season and was upbeat and friendly and he had his whole family there. When someone came up and asked him about his son he said he was proud of his development and when asked if he would be coming to SLU Brad very directly said that he would be coming to SLU. If he knew he was about to be fired I would be amazed.

Excited!??

Wow. I think you are misreading the signs.

Nobody I have talked to is excited. Irate is more like it.

The timing of this is a PR disaster.

I have info from a reliable source that practically all of the guys we were recruiting are long gone, history. Alexander is announcing later today for Illinois. I predict our recruiting class is now complete, based on what I am hearing. In fact, there is the possiblity of releasing Relphorde and losing him, too; and I have been one of the most hopeful guys on here for new recruits.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I am not excited at all, the timing of this makes SLU athletics look like amateur hour, and I am very, very, very sorry to see this development. . . . a PR and recruiting disaster.

You are articulating my worst fears. I truly cannot figure out the timing of this firing. It just does not make any sense unless we have a big time coach who said he would come to SLU but only if the decision is made immediately. If that is not the case, then there must be more to the story than we all know because on its face it just seems stupid!

all the more reason the hiring has to be bigtime and the whole scenario thought out. if not, it is hard telling who might be on next year's roster.

i have confidence the powers behind this are smarter than that no matter what the motivation.

"i have confidence the powers behind this are smarter than that no matter what the motivation."

thanks, roy, I needed a laugh.

I have to use some sarcasm here, sorry, with all due respect. this ill-timed firing is just more evidence to me that the "powers" do not know what the heck they are doing.

doc, i have been preaching such for month, but this is so big and so bizzare, i am hoping there was more thought on this issue.

to be completely honest, i am not a happy guy right now. but i am trying to remain optimstic until the whole scenario plays out. every second we sit here in the dark the worse it is.

Earl Austin mentioned Brad had an in home recruiting visit last night and a trip planned this weekend to Houston with his coaches for some tourney. Can't imagine he knew it was coming if he was sitting in some recruits living room last night.

Yeah, I think excited is the wrong word here. Scared is more like it. As I said earlier, next year is basically SHOT. First, how many of our current players are gonna leave? If anybody does, it will be Kevin and Tommie. Who are we gonna sign? NOBODY. Who's out there to sign now? We will be screwed next year...and probably 2009. WHY FIRE THE GUY NOW?! This just doesn't make sense to me. If they don't have somebody lined up, I hope guys like Drew, Nark, Metz, etc are knocking down Biondi's door with the same fevor they showed to can Brad. Just a dumb move.

This could be the "Upchurch' decision of the modern era. I was furious then and I will be furious again if this blows up in our face like it appears it will at this point. The more it sinks in the more I have to believe there must be something more to this story. If not, the decision is absolutely idiotic.

nick, if the new coach isnt an immediate difference maker, and we dont sign two more players and cant keep relephorde and/or mitchell, you are naive to think we will have a better product anytime soon. it would truly be starting over again.

Doc I agree. This is why I just have a hard time believing CL was behind this, a good AD would know the right way to fire and hire a new coach, "big time" boosters probably don't.

If it was actually big time boosters behind this, at least I am happy know SLU has a few of these. Of course I hope those same boosters have some big checks ready to pay our next coach as well.

I am glad b-roy is trying to be optimistic about this, I just can't at this point. If the new coach is an obvious improvement over Brad and he is hired within a week, I will feel a lot happier.

The timing makes no sense unless Cheryl waited to see if he pulls off a good recruiting spring class. She sees he signs one decent recruit and a project. She asks him who else he expects to sign and he says he's not sure if anyone else will sign. Given his prior recruiting track record, with that reply she decides to pull the trigger now rather than wait for the next recruiting dissapointment in the fall and set us back another year.