Charter to carry ESPNU

if they can now expand their HD channels.

not having cbs on HD has really sucked sportswise. we lost out on the super bowl, the final four and now the masters will be missed on HD as well.

That's just awful. What kind of operation are those guys running? No CBS HD? I remember Nashville was in an uproar because Comcast didn't want to pony up the money for Fox HD when they had the super bowl a couple years ago. Comcast finally made a deal to just air the Super Bowl. Shortly thereafter everything was resolved. We now have close to 20 HD channels through Comcast. Charter needs a competitor other than Dish...BAD.

That's great to hear! We get a lot of games already in the major sports (basketball and football), but ESPNU also carries some sports that we do not see as often. While I never played lacrosse, I do enjoy watching their final 4 every Memorial Day weekend. Apparently games are shown throughout the season on ESPNU, which would be nice to watch for a change.

Roy,

Actually, all local St. Louis stations broadcast their HD digital signals over-the-air. Besides being free, the picture quality is superior to cable and satellite as the OTA signal is not as compressed. Also, you'll potentially have more channel choices. For example, Channel 5 has 2 feeds (HD 5 plus 24-hour weather), Channel 11 has 2 feeds (HD 11 plus Tube 24-hour music). Channel 9 actually has 4 feeds.

All you need is a standard rabbit ears that's equipped for UHF reception. Depending on your location, you might need a booster or similar. But I get all of my HD that way. Sparkling. No fights to worry about with Charter, DirecTV, Dish, etc.

i am way too tehnically challenged to set something up to switch tv's from cable to non-cable on an event basis.

i have 9 tv's throughout my house and when contacted by a satellite dealer i tell them that and they hang up.