Fordham signs top 150 recruit

SLUDrew

Why do you still continue to make excuses for Brad? Stop worrying how to impress us all with your vocab and try to understand that Brad can't recruit. your comment about "rational thought of teenagers" is the worst, as well as the least logical, excuse yet

For all I know, the two guys he has signed for next year may be studs. i won't comment until I see them play in a game next year. However, based off what he has done in the past, I doubt they will contribute much.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!! Bob Polk now there is a HC from the past. Up until Spoon Bob was one of my favorite HC's at SLU, and he had some very competitive teams. Of course his best player was Harry Rogers. Harry played on a Sumner state championship that was one of the best HS teams I ever saw. That team also had David Brent 7' center and Marshall Rogers who led the nation in scoring one year at Pan American.

Bob Polk got a verbal from David Brent his Sr. season only to see him sign with Jacksonville during the Artis Gilmore time frame. SLU would have had a heckuva team with Harry and David Brent. That was back in our MVC days.

Geez, he's not trying to be an academic (8 letter word baby!), it just comes naturally (9 letter word baby...woot woot!). By the way, his class is always full and the students love him. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Notwithstanding (15 friggin' letters!) Doc B's sillyness, i think he does make a good point about 17 year old teenagers.

which words in that post are you having trouble with, SLUSER? I looked through that last post and frankly I have no idea which words intimidate you. Maybe it's words like "frankly" or "intimidate" --sorry, that's just the way I talk. Should I dumb down my language for this board?

and am I making excuses for Brad? or just talking about the realities of recruitment?? I guess it is tough for everyone, evne Xavier and Fordham.

You say my comment is "the worst," well guess what --I make my living dealing with adolescents and young adults, it is possible that some of their major life decisions are not based on the most impressive arguments. I suppose you must find that shocking, possibly because you are yourself of that general age group. You call it making excuses; I call it the real world, and I think the idea that somehow we can magically force every player to choose SLU is a little naive. That said, again, I have very high expectations for SLU, and am confident we will sign a couple more good recruits for the fall.

People are sometimes offended when it is suggested that major decisions they make are not based on very good thinking. See, for example, the war in Iraq. boy it is a shocker, but maybe, just maybe, we should factor that into the equation.

You do know what an equation is, right? Did I impress you with that word??

I am just having trouble with all of these people thinking it is possible that SLU, the World's Leader in academia could possibly also find the time and resources to be competitive in men's division 1 basketball. It certain doesn't happen anywhere else...with any sort of regularity.

SLU should just go D-3 and compete with Wash U., Carnegie Mellon, U of Chicago and so on....

I think the actual bet was that only the 2 verbals would sign this Spring. Not getting another verbal before 4/15 is a different matter--also I don't think anyone can sign before this date.

I think it was skip & drew making this bet, might want to check with them or find the posts about it though to be sure.

YES, YES, doctor, we all know about your job and how you make a living.

you talk about the rational thinking of teenages who have decided to attend Fordham to play basketball for various reasons that aren't basketball related. How come there aren't these type of thinkers in STL? I guess we just aren't this lucky. right? we'll stick with this excuse today.

I don't expect every player to choose SLU. i just want ONE top recruit to choose to slu. you would think with your excuse, one of these recruits would come to SLU because he likes blue and white colors. again, another excuse for Brad. it's getting old.

I did not mean to start a firestorm with that comment. My only point was that some of your posts give the appearance you are trying a little too hard to write an erudite post, like you are trying to prove something. I don't think any of us have any trouble compreheding what you are writing.

You also have a tendency of beng needlessly condescending. I believe you once referred to me as "Drew boy" before enlightening me on a certain subject. You can also re-read your post above for further proof.

I think we can all have discussions about the program with degrading those that disagree with our point of view.

I am just wondering if anyone bothered checking into who this Fordham top 150 recruit actually was. He is Jiovanny Fontan from Jersey City NJ. A 5'11" 160 point guard for the '08 class. Currently ranked 137 on the rivals top 150. Per a poster on the A10 board, he is more of a 2 guard with an improving handle. Sounds like a Polk type player, hope his shot comes around quicker than Polk's has.

By the way the other schools recruiting Fontan were: Oklahoma, St Johns, George Mason, Delaware, Fairfield & St Peters. Interesting that a top 150 player in the NY area only had 1 BE school and no ACC schools recruiting him. Also, now that he has verbaled to Fordham, wait for the next top 150 to come out and don't be surprised if he is longer listed on it. Rivals and all recruiting sites usually down rate players that don't sign on with BCS schools.

Finally, don't forget this is the '08 class. SLU is in on a big number of local recruits that are or could move up into the top 150 for this '08 class. Fordham has their whole team returning next year, there was no '07 scholarships to give out, so the coaches have basically been focused only on '08--certainly not the norm in recruiting. Of course the quote on rivals before the pay article started was "The opportunity to play close to home so my family can see me was a plus". I am sure in a couple of years when Fordham hasn't made the NCAA their fans will say Fontan was coming to Fordham no matter who the coach was and Whittenberg won't receive any credit for landing this top 150 player.

Nobody on here is saying that, except maybe one person. 99.9% of the people on here believe we can and should be doing better. There might be a difference in what people believe the problems are, but we all believe the program should be better. Most of the people on here also agree with what the problems are, but disagree what order they need to be addressed. Making a comment like that is no better than some of the misinformed stuff Bernie was putting out earlier.

How about by 4-30. What you said was signing day was coming and he wouldn't sign anyone but the 2 verbals ... not by 4-15. There needs to be a little leeway.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Don't you think ur being a little dramatic, Courtside?

We're still in the top 30% of D-1 programs. We've had some rough times lately. But frankly, what the hell do you expect out of us? This is still my team. This is supposed to be entertainment. I know guys like Drew, '72, and apparently now yourself would rather everybody come on here and preach doom and gloom, try to be as big a prick as possible, and show our alma mater and favorite program no respect. It aint' gonna happen.

I suppose the world would be a better place if we all gave up hope on the team, predict sub .500 records, discuss the abysmal careers of everybody we sign since it happened in the spring, and try to cut down our head coach at every possible opportunity. That sounds like a blast!!

PS - When did we get language filters??

Academics is brought up almost daily on this board as a reason SLU is not competitive in men's basketball. Usually by many people.

The general belief on this board is that SLU is the World's Leader in Academia and that is a big reason why SLU is not more competitive in men's basketball. Just trying to help Brian...Perhaps NYU, Case Western etc....are looking for games?

I have no problem with 1 scholarship remaining open just in case, especially if there is no one that you really like available or ready to sign, it's the 2 and 3 scholarships available that is a problem.

Who said it? People believe we won't be able to get every recruit becuase of academics, but nobody said we shouldn't get any. We have some disadvantages that some other programs have and some others do not. Pointing them out is not giving the program a free ride. There is plenty to point out wrong with the program. You don't have to go make stuff up about the fans on here to discuss a problem with the program. We know the program can and should be better. You don't need to go be a smart ##### and make stuff up to point out this program is not what it should be.

>Don't you think ur being a little dramatic, Courtside?

>

>We're still in the top 30% of D-1 programs. We've had some

>rough times lately. But frankly, what the hell do you expect

>out of us? This is still my team. This is supposed to be

>entertainment. I know guys like Drew, '72, and apparently

>now yourself would rather everybody come on here and preach

>doom and gloom, try to be as big a prick as possible, and

>show our alma mater and favorite program no respect. It

>aint' gonna happen.

>

>I suppose the world would be a better place if we all gave

>up hope on the team, predict sub .500 records, discuss the

>abysmal careers of everybody we sign since it happened in

>the spring, and try to cut down our head coach at every

>possible opportunity. That sounds like a blast!!

>

>PS - When did we get language filters??

I am not gloom and doom at all. Almost daily on this board by multiple posters, I read where nobody else has the academic challenges that SLU has....certainly working at that dump of a campus(national arbetum in 88) at Vandy, a cupcake academic school, surely you would see this first-hand.

Brad 5.

I don't expect the academic excuse daily on the board. I don't expect people to discuss SLU as if it were Harvard. I don't expect people to act as though several other schools have strong academics and athletics. I don't exspect to read about it daily. Perhaps the solution is to play Amherst, Brandeis etc...? Just trying to help.

You know what's tiring, there being no middle ground. Either you think Brad is the world's worst recruiter bar none or you are a kool-aid drinker. To deny that SLU has some limitations is silly (especially before the arena, which btw has only been a done deal for 7-8 months) and to deny that it can be done and Brad needs to do better is silly also. Why does anything someone says that does not include fire Brad today in the headline have to been taken to the extreme. I don't know why, but of late you seem to be heading the charge courtside. Maybe you've let some of your arguments with people on this board obstruct your being rational. Which imo you generally were.

>Who said it? People believe we won't be able to get every

>recruit becuase of academics, but nobody said we shouldn't

>get any. We have some disadvantages that some other

>programs have and some others do not. Pointing them out is

>not giving the program a free ride. There is plenty to

>point out wrong with the program. You don't have to go make

>stuff up about the fans on here to discuss a problem with

>the program. We know the program can and should be better.

>You don't need to go be a smart ##### and make stuff up to

>point out this program is not what it should be.

I haven't fabricated anything Brian. Read all the threads from the past week...and skim through swiftly. We are about solutions here. I am merely offering a solution. Wash u has a fine D-3 program. Cross town rivalry would be attractive with the academic andgle as well.

You been on this rant for a few days now, so who said?

Who said we shouldn't be what XU, G-town, Gonzaga, Marquette, or Butler are?

You keep on coming on here acting like you have these higher standards than everyone else and you flat out don't. We might disagree about the best way to quickly reach those standards, but we all have the same expectations. Don't go acting like we don't.

No, I made the offer to Skip. Terms were "other than the two verbals he has from Mitchell and Relphorde, I bet he doesn't sign anyone else before April 15." M and R were never included in the bet. It's who he signs besides them by 04/15.