Peterson holding out for Iowa

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another stellar sales job by the car guy from Lou Fusz. Can he sell anyone decent who plays this game to come to SLU? I can't wait to see what he comes up with for Spring recruits. Peterson stays with Iowa and their new coach sight unseen....

He has a couple days to commit here or SLU is moving on. There is no reason to waste any more time on this kid. I hope he doesn't doesn't end up screwing himself on a place he would like to be as slots start to fill-up elsewhere. He is so intrested in Iowa because it is the one big time program recruiting him. I got news for him, he was being recruited by Iowa because he was the type of player that Alford thinks he needs. It is very likely the next coach will not feel the same way. This kid and his dad are really setting themselves up for a big time let down.

>He has a couple days to commit here or SLU is moving on.

What point does that serve? Peterson choosing to wait doesn't preclude us from recruiting other point guards. It's going to take awhile to solicit a visit from a juco point -- maybe Peterson will have met with the new Iowa coach by then.

This kid has over a 4.0 GPA and was originally headed to Princeton to play basketball. I think he is very capapble of making intelligent decisions about his future.

Why can't some on this board bring themselves to say BRAD IS A PATHETIC RECRUITER? How much more proof could you possibly need to reach that conclusion?

I'm assuming he didn't mention this to Peterson when he was recruiting him...

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll...392/-1/SPORTS01

Alford: Football is No. 1 priority at Iowa

March 27, 2007

Former Iowa men's basketball coach Steve Alford said he was lured to New Mexico because of its stronger commitment to basketball.

"The Mountain West is definitely gaining some momentum," Alford said Monday on ESPN radio. "We've got some great teams, some great coaches in this league. When I started looking at it, I was born and raised in Indiana where it's basketball crazy, and I was just really eager to get somewhere where they were that passionate about basketball. It was a top priority."

Alford cited what he perceived to be Iowa's commitment to football over basketball when asked about his move. He was asked if it was difficult to coach that "second" program on campus.

"It's real difficult if they're not in line with one another as far as commitment levels," Alford said. "Because the recruits see that, and the recruits see the commitment. I can talk for eight years all I want at Iowa about trying to get my own strength coach, my own weight room and own practice facility, but when that never happens and $100 million is being put into football complexes, recruits see that."

Alford denied that his move was precipitated by a 17-14 season and athletic director Gary Barta's statement that the team had to show improvement next season. Alford pointed out he had four years left on his $1 million contract and that for Iowa to have bought him out would have cost "in excess of $600,000" per year.

"Money wasn't going to be an issue," Alford said. "It was just more the gut feeling I had that I just needed to be in a situation where basketball was king and there was a tremendous passion for basketball. That's just the way I was brought up. That's not a slam at Iowa."

- Iowa City Press-Citizen

That SLU can always be there fall back. I think this is really starting to hurt the program and this must change. Recruits always think SLU will always be there and thus feel no urgency to commit to SLU. I think this started under Romar and has only gotten worse under Brad. This has got to stop.

I am still taking a wait and see on my evaluation of Brad until the spring and fall recruiting sessions are over but you got to really wonder what is the deal. I guess the lure of maybe playing at a BCS school is so great that he can not pass it up. I wonder if the athletic dept gave the kid and his father some hope to hold out for?

I am not blaming the kid. I blame Romar for letting this preciption start and blame Brad for allowing it to only get worse. Recruits feel no urgency to commit to SLU.

Just because I don't think Brad is the only problem or even the biggest problem doesn't mean I think he has been a good recruiter lately. I don't call you a SLU hater or say you want the worst for the program because you don't like Brad. In fact I have stuck up for you on here. I would appreciate the same and not be refered to as a Brad apologist every time I don't agree with you.

"That SLU can always be there fall back. I think this is really starting to hurt the program and this must change."

Then the players we do get need to get us into the Dance and change the perception of the program. There's no way around it. Issuing ultimatums to kids that have a chance to play at a higher level isn't going to change anything.

Brad will work some magic and out-recruit North Central Arkansas Baptist for a PG that no one on this board, nor ANY national recruiting publication has any information on.

No, this is not just Brad bashing. I honestly feel something very similar to the above scenario will occur.

It's the stability, Drew, the stability. When are you gonna get it? Say it slowly, Sttaaabillliiitttyyy. And, oh yeah, don't forget all those great recruits from the area class of '08 he's got in his back pocket. It's sad when you can't convince a kid and his dad that he's holding out for an unknown at Iowa, he'll play 3 years in a new arena, and he'll probably jump right into the starting lineup next year. Who knows what happened here. Maybe UB couldn't afford to pickup the tab on his ice cream cone.

Romar's recruiting 6 years ago shouldn't be used as a crutch. Fact of the matter is that Brad made this mess by his recent failure failing to sign a full class in the fall. We are desperate and we are not in the luxurious position of giving ultimatums.

What good would it do in this instance?

I hope Brad pulls a rabbit out of the hat here, but i'm doubtful. This scenario only adds to the mounting evidence that Brad will not be able to land a top flight recruit for '08 not named Kramer, much less will he be able to land 2-3 of 'em.

Basically the same response to you as I gave Drew. Except you constant whining might be the most grating thin on this whole damn site. I gave him a D+ grade for the past 12 months. Just because there are other problems at the school besides Brad doesn't mean I give him a pass on his faults. It also doesn't mean that pointing them out means you are a Brad apologist.

This will be the case for all the remaining Spring recruits. They will all be surprises to us (Spin: We think we've found some real gems in the rough here). They will all have 0 offers from any one of note, (Spin: he was starting to generate interest so we had to offer quick). They will all possess more athletic ability than anyone currently on the roster. (Spin: Am anxious to get him with the AC's so they can teach him how to dribble and do warmup drills). And they will all be able to help the program take that next step starting next year. (Since JJ's departure we needed some help with passing out towels and water bottles.)

If my constant whining it bugging you, don't read my posts is the best advice I can give you. But it's not my constant whining that's killing the program. It's Brad Soderberg's constant pathetic recruiting. We will land 2 players no one has ever heard of to fill out his spring recruiting period.

I understand the sentiment but why tell Peterson to take a hike unless and until there is another PG option lined up? I'm doubtful we'll land a PG this recruiting cycle not named Peterson. It's possible that the new Iowa coach, whoever that may be, desires to go JUCO and doesn't have a scholarship for Peterson. Sodie has put the program in a recruiting hole by drawing mostly blanks with last year's recruiting class and no spring signings for this year. Peterson would have filled one of the holes.

slu72 said,

"Another stellar sales job by the car guy from Lou Fusz. Can he sell anyone decent who plays this game to come to SLU?"

i think this only illustrates that it isnt the coach. it is the school it is the athletic dept. it is the bigger picture that cant be sold.

not necessarily. the new coach coming in will be urgent to sign someone. unless he has someone in hand, why wouldnt he jump on one of the best high school point guards in the country coming from an a-1 program like dematha?

i would say peterson thinks he has all the cards. plus i am guessing the athletic director has told him enough about their head coaching possibles that he is intrigued.

i agree though, i wouldnt wait for him. he more or less has made his decision.

killing the program?

we havent won 20 games since 1998. it seems to me that a dying program wouldnt have had their most wins in 10 years.