Great recruiting news(soccer)

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-socc.../032207aab.html

U of New Mexico midfielder Brandon Barklage is transferring to SLU. It has been in the works for some time, but was made official now.

He will start immediately, and has had an impressive two years at recent soccer power UNM. He scored the go ahead goal in the National Semifinals against Clemson two years ago and has started in most games for UNM. He can play anywhere in the midfield or up top...has mostly played right side midfield at UNM.

He has two years of eligibility remaining.

Zach Tierney, an excellent defender from same youth teams as Barklage, who completed his Frosh year at UNM....and it was an excellent one. He had best season of any STL area prep kid in his class in college this past year as a Frosh, that didn't play for SLU, by a lot.

Speaking of UNM...the best STL prep area Forward since Taylor Twellman is a high school junior this year, and one of the very best in the country, Will Bruin....he is also considering New Mexico, along with SLU, Indiana and Maryland. SLU has a good chance, and it would be a big signing as well.

>Court,

>

>Great news indeed and something I had been hearing rumors

>about from various people for awhile. Can you give us your

>assessment of Brandon and how you think he'll fit in at SLU?

> Comparisons to former players would be great.

Really tough to compare players...but will try. His physical build is sort of Casey Spiess meets Dan Guffey, not style of play. Longer legs, unlike a John D...etc..built more like Grazier. Not the height of Guffey, or quite the beef, closer to Spiess or Brian, 5'11 to 6'.... A little like Kevin Wickart if Wick played a different position, but much speedier. He played a lot of midfield in prep days and on National Champion Scott Gallagher team...but in attacking style moving forward, scores goals too. Very versatile, can also play up top and did a lot at UNM this past year. Very good touch around the goal, something SLU has lacked and needs.

His skill is more like Tim Ream...good vision, plays smart...very solid like Ream, plays at faster pace than Ream has, more aggressive...Ream has that smoothness to him. He is like a poor man's Chris Klein before Klein's injuries. Similar build, not as strong as Chris or as talented, but reminds me a lot of Chris sometimes.

He could play right mid, attacking mid or up top, ...if he had to, could play left side mid or def mid....can play with either foot.

His play his first two years was impressive adjusting to big time college soccer quickly. Hopefully he will come in and be aggressive from the start, and he can take what he has learned about positioning, spacing, finishing etc...especially up top...and be an asset in those areas. I don't think he will have any problem fitting in with the team or players. He knows many of them already.

I've seen Bruin play once when he was a sophomore. I thought he was a senior on the field when I was watching but a friend corrected me. Surprised me a bit.

A full-sized Sweetin? Works for me. Sweetin is one hard worker. I wouldn't say a creator as much as a distributor and ball-winner.

Have you heard anything about a spring schedule? SLU has been poor in the past in getting that info out. Certainly like to see some of the younger guys - Holmes, Wiz, Aranda - out there playing ofr extended periods.

Believe me, I like Sweetin. We would have won the NW NCAA game if he hadn't gone out early in the first half. Things slid a bit for us through the middle without him out there, although Ream played fantastic as a sub.

Any chance Sweetin gets pushed to the outside as a wing midfielder? Not sure on his crossing ability but it opens up the field a bit for him, less punishing physically, allows for his workrate, Grazier and Barklage can man the middle. Just a preliminary thought and probably wrong seeing as Sweetin brought a lot of intangibles to the middle, namely his work-ethic.

Thinking ahead, SLU has to replace Johnny D, Benne, Spiess, Guffey, and Matteson. Barklage instantly can replace either Johnny D, Spiess, and Matteson. New guys may have to replace Benne and Guffey. Like the kid out of Texas from what I've read and hope he can fill in immediately. Like to see Aranda get some time as well, since Grazier is gone after next year. I think Hayes will get more time out on the wing. He probably had the most effective minutes as a freshman besides Viviano and Ream.

Goal: Kaufmann, ?

Backs: Viviano, Angus, Ream, ?,?

Mid: Grazier, Sweetin, Hayes, Barklage, Ream, ?

Fwds: Barklage, Patterson, Wiz, Holmes

If season started today, only based off of last year...Barkalage would be an upgrade over Matteson and would likely play there, or up top. He would be more needed there than right mid....at this point....SLU needs goals, and pts...

Now I am also expecting a lot of those Frosh to step it up....at different spots.

Always a big adjustment to pace and physicality of college game.

SLU will need some of last year's Frosh to step...Barklage alone isn't enough. Boemecke should play right away....not sure about starting...but should play.

Barklage is versatile. The questions are some of last year's frosh and how much they improve...some will a lot...and others won't.

I'd like to see Sweet out of the middle. I prefer a bigger stronger guy in the middle. Balls, you know my thoughts, I want to see Brian G tried in an attacking mid role.

The Texas kid from Arlington Martin is from my home town, don't know anything about him though

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Skip,

I didn't know about this Arlington kid committing to SLU (I don't follow the soccer recruiting that closely). I may try to get out and see Arlinton Martin play in a playoff game. Their regular season is done but the playoffs are coming up. I'll bring the whole family in SLU garb w/ SLU pom poms. Should make an impression on how much SLU cares about soccer. It depends on where the game is though getting around the Metroplex can take time these days.

I just checked it out game on TUES at 6 family can't make it but I may check it out the game is over on the edge of Arlington by Grand Prairie. Vs. the Grand Prairie Gophers

Where do you live? Next time I'm home we need to get together for a beer.

Let me know if you go and what you thought.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

>Believe me, I like Sweetin. We would have won the NW NCAA

>game if he hadn't gone out early in the first half. Things

>slid a bit for us through the middle without him out there,

>although Ream played fantastic as a sub.

>

>Any chance Sweetin gets pushed to the outside as a wing

>midfielder? Not sure on his crossing ability but it opens

>up the field a bit for him, less punishing physically,

>allows for his workrate, Grazier and Barklage can man the

>middle. Just a preliminary thought and probably wrong

>seeing as Sweetin brought a lot of intangibles to the

>middle, namely his work-ethic.

>

>Thinking ahead, SLU has to replace Johnny D, Benne, Spiess,

>Guffey, and Matteson. Barklage instantly can replace either

>Johnny D, Spiess, and Matteson. New guys may have to

>replace Benne and Guffey. Like the kid out of Texas from

>what I've read and hope he can fill in immediately. Like to

>see Aranda get some time as well, since Grazier is gone

>after next year. I think Hayes will get more time out on the

>wing. He probably had the most effective minutes as a

>freshman besides Viviano and Ream.

>

>Goal: Kaufmann, ?

>Backs: Viviano, Angus, Ream, ?,?

>Mid: Grazier, Sweetin, Hayes, Barklage, Ream, ?

>Fwds: Barklage, Patterson, Wiz, Holmes

If someone else can help in back, Ream can move up with his versatility...if SLU can effectively attack without Ream, then he is valuable in back.

Which of last year's frosh will move up and which will be left behind?

The Sweetin line was somewhat for fun....like I said Barklage is imo a poor man's Chris Klein and for me that is a big compliment. Chris was a star at any midfield position and up top scoring or distributing at club and college level, and as pro with National Team camps before multiple knee surgeries slowed him(yet at lesser health he still was in that mix, amazing)....he is obviously not as good as Chris was.....but imo plays that style of ball and does it well.

Barklage attacks with pace, always moving forward, slotting balls, good first touch, and finishes around the goal.

SLU is in such a need in the attack...his likely fit is Matteson's spot or up top....I do not see him playing any other midfield position....it will free up a right side spot with DiRaimondo's graduation, ...if Hemzagic stays on left and Grazier in def mid...Hopefully the keeper position will improve. Ream might be needed in back, but would be nice choice on left side and move Hemzagic elsewhere. Ream has mostly played def mid or back in his time but can play anywhere except keeper.