When/Why Did You Become A Billiken Fan?

Came to SLU as a freshmen in 1984 from Louisville KY where I'd grown up a Louisville Cardinals fan in the Denny Crum / Doctors of Dunk days. Maybe I was predisposed to liking SLU because when they played U of L in the late 70s/early 80s it usually meant season tix holders (e.g., our neighbors) were giving away their tickets in preparation for a blowout.

First SLU game I saw in St. Louis was the legendary 2OT game vs. Blackburn College in West Pine Gym in front of maybe 200-300 people. My memory's hazy but was that game played on a weekday afternoon? Vaguely remember going straight from class to the game. Think I was hooked by the jaw-dropping differences from what I was used to in a college game & thinking it was pretty special to be part of something kind of exclusive (not in a bad way). One of my bigger disappointments in life (which speaks to having a really blessed life) was the Xavier loss in Indianapolis our senior year in the MCC finals. Big busload of students went ... recall being tied 60-60 w/ 2 min to go before Byron Larkin took over.

Have followed from afar since 1988. Remember being shocked at the days of Top 10 NCAA attendance. Am very proud that the program has almost always reflected my school proudly on & off the court.

Thanks for the positive thread,

Pat D.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>Came to SLU as a freshmen in 1984 from Louisville KY where

>I'd grown up a Louisville Cardinals fan in the Denny Crum /

>Doctors of Dunk days. Maybe I was predisposed to liking SLU

>because when they played U of L in the late 70s/early 80s it

>usually meant season tix holders (e.g., our neighbors) were

>giving away their tickets in preparation for a blowout.

>

>First SLU game I saw in St. Louis was the legendary 2OT game

>vs. Blackburn College in West Pine Gym in front of maybe

>200-300 people. My memory's hazy but was that game played

>on a weekday afternoon? Vaguely remember going straight

>from class to the game. Think I was hooked by the

>jaw-dropping differences from what I was used to in a

>college game & thinking it was pretty special to be part of

>something kind of exclusive (not in a bad way). One of my

>bigger disappointments in life (which speaks to having a

>really blessed life) was the Xavier loss in Indianapolis our

>senior year in the MCC finals. Big busload of students went

>... recall being tied 60-60 w/ 2 min to go before Byron

>Larkin took over.

>

>Have followed from afar since 1988. Remember being shocked

>at the days of Top 10 NCAA attendance. Am very proud that

>the program has almost always reflected my school proudly on

>& off the court.

>

>Thanks for the positive thread,

>

>Pat D.

Blackburn was indeed on a weekday afternoon.

You see your line of thinking is an attempt to look smart while not actually saying anything. Anybody without any knowledge of basketball could say about 10-15 teams could all win a championship.

That Xaxier game at Market Square aren still sticks in my craw. I went to grade school with Jim Roder and we occasionally hung around together after he transferred from K-State. That made it even more painful when he was abused by Byron Larkin and Stan Kimbrough in the last minute of that game. That was the second year in a row that we lost to X in the finals of the MCC tournament if my memory serves me correctly. By the way, was Market Square the largest single concourse arena ever built? I remember playing in the band and just staring at the place; it was wild. Also think about how things have come full circle; 20 years of wandering around conferences like a nomad and we are back to being Xavier's *****. We've got to change that.

>You see your line of thinking is an attempt to look smart

>while not actually saying anything. Anybody without any

>knowledge of basketball could say about 10-15 teams could

>all win a championship.

Ah...but you see you did say some things Torch, you said the only good teams were the teams you listed and that schools from the West and South couldn't hang with them, though it was proven in the regular season. And in post-season, this was once again proven wrong. You said it simply was not possible for those teams to be in your list of teams.

I listed teams who were just as competitive if not more so than your list of teams. This, again, proved true in post-season, as it was in the regular season.

I don't care where teams are from, or anything about the make-up of the teams or their coach.

Xavier consistently winning the conference we're in and going to the NCAA's makes us their jealous little brother at the very least. I remember us beating them at the Kiel in the 80's. It was great fun, but I think we need to get over on them in a game that really has post season consequences. 1987 was particularly excruciating because I think we had a record of something like 25-7 but couldn't make the NCAA tournament. Don't get me wrong; I relish beating them every chance we can get, but they have owned the conference whenever we've been in a conference with them.

I was at that game but also the only Billiken game I walked out of (not particularly because of the uninspired play). I do remember Paul Jansen was the hero several times. I had to leave in one of the overtimes because the cafeteria was closing and I could not afford to miss a prepaid meal.

There were 200-300 people at a time at the game. People kept walking in and out the whole time.