Josh McCoy update

I talked to 6-3/6-4 Zumwalt West junior guard Josh McCoy on Saturday after his team won the Missouri Class 5 third-place game.

He said he has an offer from Southeast Missouri State and that Missouri State and St. Louis U. were recruiting him.

I thought Missouri State was going to offer him already, but it might not come at all if there is a coaching change.

I doubt SLU will offer until the Billikens hear from Scott Suggs and Femi John. Then it might be too late to get McCoy.

- Nate

let me understand slu72, you dont want cripes because of his position and size, but you ripped soderberg a few weeks ago because siu got torres roundtree to verbally commit?

I was over on the ValleyNet board this morning a lot of their fans think Hinson should be fired. They think SMS should be in the NCAA every year or two.

I think he has done a pretty good job considering his situation and where they are located. They need to be careful what they ask for; the next guy may not do as well.

I am sure they would have many candidates for the job; I would be surprised if any big names show up. Kim Anderson (former Mizzou BB player for Norm) at Central Missouri would most likely be a strong candidate with his success at CM and his experience at Missouri and Baylor as an assistant.

I don't think I "ripped" UB for Torres Roundtree. I don't know anything about him. I'm not disputing I ripped him, Broy, because I do at about every turn, and I may well have said something stupid. I most like ripped him about recruiting in general and how SIU seems to think St. Louis is their own little wal mart.

Go back and read your posts. You are correct. You did post something stupid. Now, this post is also stupid. SIUC gets a few recruits from St. Louis and now this city is their own little walmart? Get real. SIUC has always and will always get some local recruits.

Brief history. SLU during the Spoonhour years did not exactly keep all local recruits. Instead, he relied heavily upon this strengths he developed prior to SLU: JUCOs. I recall many years at SMS where he would literally bring in 5 - 6 new recruits each years - many of them JUCOs. Guys like Robinson, Walker, Love, Jeffers come to mind as well as transfers like H, Johnson, Pederson. Then, during the Romar years, he got Chris Sloan but missed on many local guys. Shaw and Grimes are only 2 of the guys during the Romar/Sodie transition. Instead, we got Diener, McClain, MaCauley, Varner and the guy from Iowa who did not pan out and then transfered. Sodie's first 2 years - admitedly - were weak and consisted of out of state/country guys (Ohanon, Ian, Johnson, Drejaj, Frericks, Newborne) but since then he has gotten local guys: Polk, Meyer, Lisch, Liddell, McGuire. Knollmeyer is not St. Louis but central Missouri.

Truly, you would have to go back to the Grawer days when SLU relied heavily upon St. Louis guys. Even then, we did not get everybody. Guess we'll put you in the category with VTime. Even he, though, only wants to OFFER everyone who can dribble a ball from St. Louis. You, though, expect to SIGN every St. Louis guy and if we don't, then rip the Coach.

So now it's stupid to rip UB, after a tenure of five years, for not signing players talented enough to take the program to the next level? I don't care where the hell they're from, Cameroon, Paris, Bagdhad, just get 'em. bBut what do I know? I'm stupid for ripping a guy whose not getting the job done. I know, B'roy, I broke my promise, but am truly amazed at what some of you will settle for at SLU.

You are changing topics. Broy's post was to question why you wanted Roundtee but not McCoy who apparently are close to the same size and play similar positions. You're response is nothing.

Next, you indicate that SIUC is taking all the St. Louis kids we should be getting. Other than Falker, no one else. Shaw is somewhat a St. Louis kid and I will give you that. Now, they get Roundtree. Sorry, but I don't see this pipeline to the exclusion of SLU. Have we not taken many kids from the East side? Liddell, McGuire and now the new East St. Louis kid? You're response is nothing.

Don't let arguments and logic get in the way of your hatred and bitterness for Brad.

Tony Boyle, SIU's first big man off the bench since his freshman year is an area player from DeSoto HS. Jamall Tatum is from Jeff City. And its not just roundtree, he's replacing Falker in 2008 with Roundtree's teammate Booker.

Also, if Roundtree had a good jumper he would be in the same sentence as Suggs, maybe rated higher. His athleticism is off the charts, but he still scores most of his points in the post in high school. A lot of the coaches, especially Lowery see his potential, but he would be a high major if he could shoot better. Maybe SIU is becoming a high major, they're in the tournament every year.

When I say local I mean St. Louis area kids as covered by the PD (50 miles) and Missouri kids. Knollmeyer counts as a local kid and I gave Brad credit for him and I think he can still be a really good player who can maybe start for the Bills next season. Brad never gave this kid a chance, even in games that were already decided. I think he played 70 minutes all year, maybe less.