Is it necessary ....

courtside

moytoy, after living through ekkerball, coleman, grawer, spoon, romar and soderberg, and recently finding out we have the athletic budget of a large high school still, i would love to see proof first that the program overall is being properly funded before addressing a coach. the point is, there is no historical evidence that they will finally open the purse. and dont use the arena. other than donating the land (which was basically campus wasteland) slu hasnt put out a cent from their pocket for the arena. they have donations for about a third of the cost, plan to fund raise more and then finance the rest that will be paid from the expected revenue stream of the events to be held in the building.

an investment would be building our student athletes new digs, tripling the staff and budget of the athletic dept to represent a program more in the top 25-50 range minimum. hiring experienced staff to mentor and guide our enthusiastic but almost infantlike staff. putting on game day shows that are more in like with real major league programs instead of playing musical chairs, etc. those are the kind of changes that would get me to think, "hey maybe this time things will be different!"

I was directly critical of Brad when he played the walk on for longer minutes than the scholarship players in an earlier game-- I think it was Temple. I have said often that he has an issue with too much loyalty to his seniors. The man is not perfect! But none of us are and this D1 basketball business is extremely competitive. We are not where we all want to be but we are not a lousy losing team, and we have had some good wins. We have had some untimely injuries and two nasty losses in conference. All I want us all to do is to support the team and the coach as they work hard to accomplish something this year. If he cannot sign any recruits and we are a bad team then Cheryl will look for a new coach. Until then I would love to see us all be positive.

why does he have to be critical of soderberg? why cant he focus on the good things that happen with the team and defend the team? why does that make him a bad poster?

"Moytoy says on Jan 6,2007--"Has there ever been a time during UB's tenure when you (or anyone else) thought "wow, great coaching job ny UB, that adjustment won the game for us" or something similar?" Do you consider that an insult that you say over 5 years he has never made any adjustments that won a game for us?"

Where, oh where, in the above did i say that in over 5 years he has never made any adjustments that won a game for us?

waiting...waiting...

I asked that after the 2 BAD losses and before the good wins in conference. After the good wins in conference i commended coach for his changes.

"Moytoy--"What nuances of the game does Brad appear to understand?" do you consider it an insult to say that a D1 coach does not understand any of the nuances of the game?"

is that a personal attack? I'm questioning UB's ability to coach.

These comments are not personal hate attacks on Brad:

"Brad has OBVIOUSLY" lost control of the team"

Moytoy--"What nuances of the game does Brad appear to understand?" do you consider it an insult to say that a D1 coach does not understand any of the nuances of the game?

'Fire Brad now"

"Brad's gone"

"Soderberg has no idea what he is doing."

"Tommie, Kevin, Luke... what makes you think that they came to SLU because of any relationship with Brad?"

"If there is no one who can do better than Brad then we shoud drop out of D1 and go to NAIA"

These are comments that question his coaching and/or recruiting.

The f brad comment is personal and unnecessary.

Good job, you found one comment that is really personal, which standing alone doesn't mean that person hates brad.

For me personally, and fine if others aren't like me, he needs to show that he sees the good and the bad and takes those both into consideration before i give much credit to what he has to say.

Focus on the good things and defend the team all you want, just show me that you understand the negative things. Also, quit being a baby because people post negative stuff.

I understand your thinking. My wife says it is a totally losing battle and I should just stop posting altogether. Maybe that is the way to go but about every two weeks I just get angry to think that potential recruits and players and families may be reading this board that they would think that no one supports the coach or the team. When I read a post today that says "I don't care if we lose the rest of the games this season" it infuriates me. There are certain posters that I will ignore, particularly the one who wrote that post but I worry that the board has very little balance between the negative and the positive.

it is when it happens basically every 5 years without fail for about 30 years. that cycle needs to break first before you say "it is not guaranteed". by history it has become a virtual guarantee within a year or two.

Your wife tells you not to post?! LOL. Sorry, maybe I'm out of bounds of laughing at that. But its funny you call us childish...

If you want to leave, I don't think you'd hear any compaints from a large majority of people other then the kool-aid crew. If it angers you that much, you better get out.

as in starting the day after realistic billiken stopped.

still i challenge you and everyone else that posts anonomously to reveal yourself. i have never posted in a veil of secrecy like 75% of the posters here. stand behind what you say.

so basically you like to talk big but dont want to back it up in public.

which has been my beef all along. i wonder how brave some of the negative folks would be if they had to post their real names.

i think if you are that fearful you shouldnt be posting here. find the nickelodeon messageboard that might be more your speed.

seriously, it speaks loudly to what this "community" has become if posters seriously are afraid for their safety as to the reason they wont identify themselves.

I am firmly in the love the Billikens first club, it's why I'd like to see us get a real coach sometime in the not too distant future. Got nothing against UB, other than he's done a p*** poor job of coaching/managing the St.Louis University Basketball program. But, oh, wait if you knock him, how can you be a true fan. My response, if you support and defend his mediocre at best job, how can you be a true fan? Does fan mean accept anything, or does it mean scream the loudest when soemthing is obviously wrong in the state of Denmark?

Thanks to Mr. Billikan bleeds blue for pointing out. a new reason for UB's poor recruiting. Got nothing to do with UB. It's, drumroll please, our fault! Recruits are reading these anti UB posts and telling him, "sorry, coach, I can't come to SLU. Those guys over at Billikens. com, think you suck! I can't deal with the negative vibes, man."

canadian, that is your opinion. and it may be right.

i am saying we are incapable of knowing because when we have had a good coach (romar) that has since went on to multiple top 16 teams and jauggernaut recruiting classes and sent more players to the nba in the last 4 years than slu has in 40 years, he appeared to be a failure as well.

i say the system is more broke than the coach and unless we fix the system getting a new coach is more of a finding a needle in the haystack chance of winning and damned if i want to miss out on the next romar again. be that next romar soderberg or the next coach.