Charlotte game summary and observations..

Billikan

As always, a late arriving crowd. I was there early and 15 minutes before the game I thought we would have about 2000 but we ended up with a nice crowd--I would guess between 8000 and 9000.

A nice win against a very talented team that is itself struggling to find its identity. They made some incredible long range shots that kept them in the game but tommie (on Alexander) and Kevin (on Goldwire) both played very well defensively. They both had to fight thru a lot of screens and chase all over the court. There was no pack defense tonight.

Kevin was lights our shooting the ball and Tommie played a fantastic floor game with no turnovers. Anyone who doubts how badly this team is hurt when Kevin is injured and cannot play up to his best--or at all--just look at this game. He was terrific on both ends of the floor. He and Tommie seem to be getting better with every game.

Ian had a really weird game. He had 14 points, 6 rebounds and 3 blocks but he missed some short shots and his free throw shooting was very questionable. The way we were defending Goldwire and Alexander left the others one on one and Ian came over to help a number of times.

The shock of the night and maybe the season was the play of JJ. With Luke in foul trouble, JJ had the game of his Billiken life. He hit several outside jumpers, had two big slams and hit his free throws. Nice effort! Also AK came in early for Ian and he gave us 8 tough minutes. He is strong and is learning. I think he could be a real contributor next year. He seems to have a bit of a mean streak that I really like.

Overall, we won a game that was a must win for the year. When we hit shots our offense looks good and if we can defend with intensity we can beat virtually anyone on our schedule if we shoot the ball well.

But we could lose any one of the games if we don't defend ferociously and play smart. We did that tonight!

I thought Brad coached a nice game tonight (and not just because we won). He forced some good defensive matchups, and he used the bench very effectively. It helped that JJ and Danny both played within themselves tonight.

One play that Danny made stuck out in my mind - he dished it off to Lisch instead of taking it up for one of his patented botched layups. Nice to see him exhibit some discipline out there.

I thought AK looked good in limited minutes. A little surprised that Dustin didn't get to play at all until the very end - I guess I shouldn't be, with Lisch back in the lineup.

Ian needs to stop attempting three-pointers. He faked one that caused the crowd to let out a giant collective gasp.

Great job by JJ. I certainly won't expect that kind of output in our next game, but it was good to see nonetheless.

and he can jump again; it has been obvious this kid has been playing flat beccause he is so encased from the knee down on one leg that he could only jump and land on one leg; tonight he looked like he could play through his difficulty; it certainly makes more sense for him to get LM minutes instead of IV minutes; also was Bryce perfect for 40 seconds; maybe coach will let him play 2 minutes next game; that was one of the best blocks of the season from anyone-sure everyone knew they were going to throw up a three at first chance but he completely

stretched out to meet that ball and if he can do that 3 times a game it will change how far out the 3 point shooters set up.

Just got done watching the replay on CSTV as i had to work late. One of the few games i get to see on either TV or an online video feed and Billikan is right, KL seems (i say seems because the only other game i saw was SIU on the computer) to calm the team. KL looked great; TL can stroke it. Good job by UB on the substitutions and i can only guess (didn't see the past 2-4 games on tv) that the defense played much better. DB played his way to more minutes in my opinion and the same with JJ. I thought both played composed games as nark points out. I'll post more tomorrow as it's 1 a.m. and i'm tired, but i did want to point out the positives after a good win. Good job UB and crew.

Was flying last night couldn't hear it. Flew into Charlotte, and could not even find it on a Charlotte radio station on the drive home. Strange???? Anyways, sounds like a good game. JJ teases us again. It's like Lombardi said, if you do it once you should be able to do it all the time. If he would wake up to play the rest of the season like you guys describe he did last night, that would be such a huge help...huge...and may even open the door for IV to shake off his doldrums. Although, he sounded like he played pretty well last night. You know, sometimes in February it ain't the best team that ends up dancing but the one that's got some momentum. Hopefully, this is the start of us making a move in that direction. "It ain't over 'til it's over"....Yogi Bear to Boo Boo his sidekick bear.

>Seems like we have seen Charlotte play in St. Louis every

>year for the past 10 or so years (save last year). Is this

>year's 49er edition the smallest, least talented bunch that

>you have had it awhile.....it appears so to me?

Yes, the Niners are TERRIBLE. Bests of luck the rest of the season.

I think 1660 fades out faster than St. Louis' 590 flagship station. I got some of that around 6:00pm, they were discussing the Panthers being picked as the 79th worst Superbowl team of all time by ESPN. That's 79 out of 80...not too good. Anyways, looking forward to my trip to Halston next year. Always great to beat Charlotte. In my book, you're our rival.