the amazing Dickie V....

I'm shocked that the list has no mention of Valvano?

Dickie V always puts him into his play by play. As much as Valvano was alive and in death is a hypocrite, Dickie V is a blowhard.

I guess his act is just getting old but in his early days I liked the guy but now I cannot stand to listen to all of his bull. I would prefer to listen to virtually any other announcer. Heck, Musberger and Lavin are much better to listen to than Dickie V and they are not hall of famers!

Everybody has a shelf life .... Andy Warhole called it your "15 minutes of fame" ... while Dickie V. has much more than 15, I think his act has worn old. I used to like him as Billikan says above. I also like Billy Packer and he wore out. Can't stand Musberger. The ESPN commercial where Bilas gets pushed around in a UNC cafeteria is hilarious but true. ("Duke boy") Digger Phelps hosuld shut up. Merril Hoge should shut up. Some live on forever and are always loved .... Madden, Michaels, Kalas, and so on.

Dickie V. is overexposed and frankly, as far as his experience pedigree is concerned, its lacking. What? Won at University of Detroit one year and failed miserably with the Pistons? How great is that? I used to love the Packer/McGuire/Enberg trio. I was really broken up when they split. I never really like Al when he came back. Oh well. Dickie V. and Packer love the ACC. No doubt about it.

One day, they'll be trotting Dickie out pre-game and placing him in the right direction at the foul line just for one shot. He's liable to have the mental capacity of the current Muhammed Ali. But that will be enough for some.

Dickie V's going the way of Packer...Someone should do a thread on Billie P...let's see probably 98 times a minute how great the ACC is, how only BCS teams should get selected no matter their conference records...and really what did Billy P ever do? Those that cannot coach, broadcast.

Everybody has a wide range of opininions...and saw a huge long thread on rating female sideline reporters on another board last week, very entertaining the debates and pix.

Dick Vitale first of all was very quiet and reserved for years doing college hoops games. Go back and watch his early ESPN years. You wouldn't recognize him. He made a lot of money years later on his schtick. He is a great ambassador for the game and should be doing be PR, not games. Obviously the art of television is that less is more, unlike radio, where you need to let pictures do the talking sometimes. And he hasn't broken anything down in years...he can...he just doesn't do it.

However he will always be more likeable to many than Billy Packer in their long feud. Packer is just a miserable guy and carries it over to his on and off court demeanor. He over-critiques plays. If he pulled back a bit, he'd be fine. Obviously he has been doing color for ACC many many years and he played at Wake Forest. Vitale at least is a positive guy, for all of his annoying antics, and will always therefore be more liked by the masses and casual observers who don't sleep college hoops.

As for current people, Bilas, Raftery,(what a nice guy off of the court, never met anyone who didn't like Raft)...are very good on color side and very likeable. Majerus is vastly improving his television skills, his effort and knowledge are top notch.

I always seperate play by play people from analysts, two very different jobs. McDonough, Lundquist, very good. Shulman is slipping this year, usually like him...but being paired with DV can do that to you. Like his baseball work though, he, Jon, Miller, and Scully my favorite tv baseball pbp people.

I read that list and enjoy how much Dickie loves people.

While Dickie V can get annoying, you have to admire his passion and love of the game and basketball and people in general. The man could be bitter about losing his eye, getting ran out of the NBA, being goofey looking, etc., but instead his is eternally optimistic and passionate.

My brother-in-law is buddys with one of Dickie's kid's best friends. He has met Dickie in person several times and says he is a very genuine person who is just as enthusiastic off-camera.

For those who have been to Sarasota, FL, there is a little sandwich place called the Cracked Egg. Dickie eats there regularly, and the folks there rave about how nice and friendly he is with everyone. The sell Dickie V. autographed bobble-heads, with the proceeds going to charity.

OK, enough rambling.

He use to be great, but I really don't think he prepares himself for the games like he should. I thinks this leads him to overusing all of his lines and I think it comes across as lazy. I don't think he is lazy. I just think it is a result of everything else he has going on leaves him not enough time for game prep.

Many years ago{the late Ekker-early Grawer years]the Billikens use to have annual dinners to raise funds for the basketball program.Dickie was the guest speaker for one. Gave the best motivational speach I've ever hear, and I've heard way too many of them. He worked the room and shook hands and made small talk with everybody. In spite of my warm thoughts of that night I wish he'd shut the hell up.

>He use to be great, but I really don't think he prepares

>himself for the games like he should. I thinks this leads

>him to overusing all of his lines and I think it comes

>across as lazy. I don't think he is lazy. I just think it

>is a result of everything else he has going on leaves him

>not enough time for game prep.

Actually that isn't true. He spends a lot of time holed up in his hotel room studying. You'd be surprised. He just doesn't always use all of it and gets all off topic etc..