Xavier fans vs. SLU fans - very much alike

AlumniFan

Since the "new" board was slow, I started clicking the links to other boards. The first one I visited, of course, was Xavier since we had just played them. Right when I went to it I got distracted with something, and then came back in a few minutes. At first, I forgot that I was not on the Billiken Board and was wondering why everyone was beating up coach and the team after a big victory. Then I realized, it was the Xavier fans. The complaints in some of the posts on the Xavier board are nearly identical to those of the ABCer's on SLU's board.

It is amazing that two of the best teams in the conference, both with 12-5 records, both have fans talking about how bad their respective teams are, how the coach should be fired, how no one can play, how the game plan sucked, how the refs robbed them, etc.

Thought it was actually pretty amusing and a little sad.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

So, thinking that if the best team's fans are the most depressed, I figured maybe the worst teams (by record at least) might have the most upbeat fans...uh...not exactly - from the St. Bonnie board:

Regarding walking out in protest vs. LaSalle: "I dont think thats such a good idea, nor would it be feasible. I support the team, not the coach, so I plan on staying in my seat to support the players. If you want to send a message about Solomon, do what others have suggested and send the AD a letter or give him a call to let him know how you feel."

Wow!!! I guess that is just the way college basketball goes. I think we ALL take this a bit too seriously.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

I think there is a collective haze over the A10 right now. Just think about how the Charlotte fans must feel.

St. Joe's isn't so hot either but you know their fans can't take it out on the coach or can they?

>St. Joe's isn't so hot either but you know their fans can't

>take it out on the coach or can they?

Is that an inside joke? I mean hell yeah, they can. If you want to feel some heat, sit on Bruce Weber's chair right now. It might not be hot, but it feels like it's boiling after the past few seasons.

I don't care about Weber, I don't really like the guy just based on the way he comes across on TV. I don't really know him but that is all I have to go on.

I thought that Martelli was canonized so I don't know if they are criticizing him yet and I'm too lazy to check their board.

Is the S.A.T. Rap a marketing ploy to push the S.A.T. over the A.C.T.?

Would it go somethin' like this?

Representin' the S.A.T.

the one and only standardized te-izzle for me

I ain't sweatin' that sucka A.C.T.

I'm tryin' to get into M.I.T.

What?

Ok.

Okay, don't take this the wrong way...but you better stick to the day job; your future as a rapper ain't exactly bright. ;-)

My favorite part from the above Xavier Board thread

"I was at the St. Louis game and needless to say was very disapointed but I'll be back at Cintas on Thrus. The local paper in St. Louis related how some fans wanted the S.L. coach fired after the losses to the Bonnies and Dukes. They even had a special website for a short period. Their coach was out to prove something and had been riding their team ever since the losses. Couple this with a hostile crowd, our 3am arrival in S.L. and the lack of time on the court due to a hockey game our inconsitancy made us look terible. By the way, their new on campus arena is on the way and will be available not next season but the following. This will allow them to have control over their facility. I remember how at the Gardens hockey, rodeos and the circus caused problems for not only the other team but our practices.In any case playing on the road in conference is like Pete used to say " It's a war"

mhg