PLEASE EVERYONE RESPOND TO MY POLL. THANK YOU! Thanks for all who respond. Please read poll carefully. If you have questions before answering please post them, and your hall monitor will assist.

courtside

How can there be only two choices--either we make the NCAA most of the time or it is a pipe dream to make it at all and so we do not expect to go to the big dance. Is the question whether fans have an EXPECTATION that we will go to the NCAA most years and the postseason every year? Is the second question, would you be satisfied if we play well, have a clean program that graduates its players as legitimate students and competes at a level in the top echelon of the conference and has a chance to go to the NCAA or the NIT every year then I can agree with that. There are very few schools that have an expectation of going to the NCAA every year. Many name schools like Michigan or Seton Hall and many others go for years on end without an invite.

To put it nicely, 7 people have voted. I believe 30 something people voted in the last poll on the board...and 20 in my last poll on same topic. It doesn't bother me at all. I didn't have "hopes" for any choice. Considering SLU lost two bad games and squeaked another, it is highly possible some have decided to say well, just can't win at SLU...SLU will never be a winner. Others have said then and now that they expect a winner. I for one expect a winner, not discouting all ingredients needed in a winner, recruitng, coach, admin, etc..I will never lower my expectations. They are realistic considering all factors involved.

Nothing made me smile more than the ingenious(and I am being serious) person who posted for 5 Rex Hudlers. It means one of two things...one they "get it," and are further illustrating my point that trying hard with less is good enough at SLU, a wonderful post of choosing less on purpose to show anything is suffice at SLU...knowing its response would draw attention. Or it means they didn't care enough about it and tried to haphazardly tried to be funny...again also would be illustrating the point on the other end that not enough people care or believe in the possibility of a winner.

I will let it all play out and see what the people want. I believe in democracy, and if people choose otherwise, that is fine. It will then give me a better understanding of the board. Up until now I have posted with the thoughts that people expected more, because they posted they they did. I can also speak about lowering expectations too. If tht is what the people expect...then there should be a TON of Billikans on this board. ...certainly the majority.

30 people responded before. there are about 700 registered users on this board. a better percentage votes in our national elections and that is pitiful.

to make assumptions of the will of the board on a 4% voter turnout rate is a little presumptious.

Actually if I were to add a choice it would have been top 25.

There is a choice for NIT as regularity.

There is a choice for No post-season...that is 5 Rex Hudlers.

There is a choice for NCAA most but certaily not all years.

There is a choice that you cannot win at SLU, period.

I think there are plenty of choices.

Billikan ...you have to make the decision, I cannot make it for you...you must decide between...NCAA most years...NIT most years...Neither most years....or I even gave an extra on the fence choice of pipe dream.

This is a poll about winning...while I do appreciate your comments on graduation, cleanliness.

If this were Michigan or Seton Hall...and instead of picking expectations...if the poll said what is Seton Hall and Michigan right now....the correct poll response would be NIT or Rex Hudler most likely.

But this isn't about MI or Seton Hall...this isn't about what they are currently....this is about what you..Billikan expects the SLU program to be...what do you eagerly anticipate...expect for SLU. What do you want Billikan?

Rex Hudler is the try hard, improve, character...probably the closest answer you are looking for.

Since all of the kids are eligible etc...academically...I made it understood that you can skip to the winning part, because SLU only gets good kids anyway right? right. Good.

If you need any other help let me know.

I have NEVER seen more than 30 respond to a poll. To me it is like any other voting. If given a free anonymous way to vote for your choice, and you choose not to at all...I don't then care about the 700 registered users. What I would do is try to keep the poll at the top so everyone can see it and has a chance to respond over an extended period of time, because many people can only stop by once a week or month ...etc...

And if then it gets few votes, well, then I would conclude that most people are apathetic and don't really care at all....and that would be my conclusion.

Don't criticize courtside haven't you noticed his statistical genius.

That being said this is the worst worded poll ever (and I know I've read all polls). If he wants some actual results which it seems that he does based on his replies to questions he should ask questions in a way that are easy to understand and are non-biased. Learned that at SLU in Poli. Sci. Research Methodology. booo-yaah edumacation

>What is the point of this poll? Is it to make your self feel

>better?

No, the point of the poll was to guage what people expect out of the program. There has been some debate. There was a past poll in which 100% of the board expected a certain thing. A poster said they misunderstood the poll...a debate ensued and I posted another poll. I don't care what anybody chooses. I want to better understand expectations of people on the board and SLU fans. That is the point of the poll, so I can understand better.

I agree. His choices appear to be biased as he has made all of them into "jokes" other than the first. And even the premise of "expecting" to go to the post season every year is insane. Maybe if he worded as Expecting the administration to work hard and strive to make the tourney every year, it would be better. But how in the world can anybody "expect" to be in the post season every year based on SLU's history? It's like saying we expect Wendell Bennett to be our leading scorer. Never has that happened, never has he demonstrated the ability to do it, and most would agree that just can't happen.

If you look at the post season over the past 20 years, I'd love to see how many schools made the post season every year. I'd also love to know which schools did that which are not considered "high major".

For the record, I HOPE we make the tourneament every year.

>Don't criticize courtside haven't you noticed his

>statistical genius.

>

>That being said this is the worst worded poll ever (and I

>know I've read all polls). If he wants some actual results

>which it seems that he does based on his replies to

>questions he should ask questions in a way that are easy to

>understand and are non-biased. Learned that at SLU in Poli.

>Sci. Research Methodology. booo-yaah edumacation

The worst worded poll ever and you have read all polls. Wow, that's a lot of polls in one's lifetime. How do you keep up with all of them and this board at the same time, nothing short of amazing.

So far 17% of responders(carry the one) have had trouble understanding the choices...not bad considering it was done in 5 seconds time.

I am open for suggestions, why instead of posting deep thinking flaming insults don't you instead raise the bar of the board by actually providing a better poll with better choices?

I think most are doing just fine by it.

A_Bomb:

in this poll, your genius courtside has the category....."I want NIT, you mean the NIT isn't the preferred Tourney anymore"....

in his previous poll, your genius courtside has the category "I get the discount at Denny's baby".....

no age bias in either poll.....right!

he obviously didn't have the Research Methodology class that you referenced.

courtside is that kind of co-worker you have known for 20+ years and have never heard them once say the phrase...."gee, I didn't know that"!

>I agree. His choices appear to be biased as he has made all

>of them into "jokes" other than the first. And even the

>premise of "expecting" to go to the post season every year

>is insane. Maybe if he worded as Expecting the

>administration to work hard and strive to make the tourney

>every year, it would be better. But how in the world can

>anybody "expect" to be in the post season every year based

>on SLU's history? It's like saying we expect Wendell Bennett

>to be our leading scorer. Never has that happened, never has

>he demonstrated the ability to do it, and most would agree

>that just can't happen.

>

>If you look at the post season over the past 20 years, I'd

>love to see how many schools made the post season every

>year. I'd also love to know which schools did that which are

>not considered "high major".

>

>For the record, I HOPE we make the tourneament every year.

This poll takes into account whatever you want it to take into account....so you say given SLU's history...realistic expectations for you are:.....pick that choice.

SLU's admin for you has never had commitment to winning...etc...so with that in mind...you don't see it happening...so you expect....enter choice here

You take into account the above two things...but still expect SLU to make the NCAA's more times than not, of course missing at times too...enter that choice...

This is an easy poll. You the fan get to decide what you expect from SLU. If you think shoot, not a chance bub, not this school....then pick accordingly.

If you think, well we are on right track and think xyz...pick accordingly.

This is what you expect based on ANYTHING you want to take into account or don't want to take into account. And make a decision and pick a choice. There is no...well if this or that happens...what do you expect regardless of all of those things...you can say well realisticly this is a NIT program and I expect that.

This is your poll....what do YOU expect to happen.

>A_Bomb:

>

>in this poll, your genius courtside has the category....."I

>want NIT, you mean the NIT isn't the preferred Tourney

>anymore"....

>

>in his previous poll, your genius courtside has the category

>"I get the discount at Denny's baby".....

>

>no age bias in either poll.....right!

>

>he obviously didn't have the Research Methodology class that

>you referenced.

>

>courtside is that kind of co-worker you have known for 20+

>years and have never heard them once say the phrase...."gee,

>I didn't know that"!

I would gladly change the wording in NIT if you are offended, and not because it mentions age, but because of anything misleading.

I know of no one over the age of 55 that would object to the Denny's option. It wasn't negative in any way shape or form.

Why don't you provide a gasp solution.

I'm boycotting this poll.

Your right tseugnekillib, courtside obviously did not take Research Methodology. Now he is eliciting our help to make this poll right. I recommend he calls Dr. Ken Warren, noted pollster, SLU professor, one-time CNN expert and proprietor of his own polling company. If Dr. Warren is not available call Dr. Uwalaka (sp) who also teaches Research Methodology. Mr. Dr. B could get him their #.

>I'm boycotting this poll.

>

>Your right tseugnekillib, courtside obviously did not take

>Research Methodology. Now he is eliciting our help to make

>this poll right. I recommend he calls Dr. Ken Warren, noted

>pollster, SLU professor, one-time CNN expert and proprietor

>of his own polling company. If Dr. Warren is not available

>call Dr. Uwalaka (sp) who also teaches Research Methodology.

> Mr. Dr. B could get him their #.

Priceless. You first come on and flame for no apparent reason instead of calmly rationally questioning or debating the poll itself. ...and instead of providing anything productive, when I even encouraged anyone to jump in with it....you,... instead of ignoring the poll, clearly your right, you "announce" that you are ignoring the poll, then flame again.

So let's recap...flame, no constructive comments or actions, instead of ignoring the poll, announces ignoring the poll, then flames again.

Gotcha.

They are your polls....you live with your wordings and responses.

I agree the NIT choice was poorly worded. Not positive what you were trying to accomplish with the "I am old" bit, or the "I get discount at Denny's" bit in your previous poll.

Perhaps a consistent tone in all choices would get you a higher number of responses....but, I'll yield to the board's Zogby rep.....A_Bomb.

>They are your polls....you live with your wordings and

>responses.

>

>I agree the NIT choice was poorly worded. Not positive what

>you were trying to accomplish with the "I am old" bit, or

>the "I get discount at Denny's" bit in your previous poll.

>

>Perhaps a consistent tone in all choices would get you a

>higher number of responses....but, I'll yield to the board's

>Zogby rep.....A_Bomb.

Fair enough. I don't know how to change the poll once already made to say I expect NIT as most of the time. A lot of teams boycotted the NCAA's several decades ago and played in the NIT instead, and it has not been that case for a long long time.

I never get offended when somebody calls me old. That's cool, which actually then became..."Solid"some years/decades back ...which then became "Tight." ....the kids will have to help me if there is anything now that has replaced "tight" or "rich"..."Has something replaced tight?" I don't even know.

As I stated it was a rather quick poll. It wasn't intended to mislead anyone. I would fall asleep otherwise if the latter responses weren't shorter and little more peppy.

As for previous poll...it is well known that when people get to a certain age they get a discount at Denny's...a well known chain diner/restaurant. The poll itself was an age poll. Hence the option.

It is not remotely insensitive to seniors. I am one of the few on here, if you go back and read the posts who actually stick up for the blue hairs, seniors, and their rights at games, and have pointed out that many on the board will one day be in that position and should still have rights at games.

I respect your opinion, and to be clear I am not sure if this clears up your matter. If it doesn't, let me know.

>courtside stated....."it is not remotely insensitive to

>seniors". The seniors will be the judge of that, not the

>writer.

>

>perhaps you meant to state...."it was not intended to be

>insensitive to seniors".

>

>btw, I voted for your first choice.

>

>peace....next topic.

Touche