31 replies to this topic

#1 WVBilliken

WVBilliken

Junior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

This year, for the first time in several years, we must replace several players in the top eight. Yes, we lost Conklin and Cassidy, but by the end of the year Cassidy was way down in the rotation.

So now we lose three guys probably in the top eight. So why no commits yet? We need to get fall commits. Everytime we wait until spring we lose out to the majors. So who will our first fall commit be?

#2 thetorch

thetorch

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts
  • Interests:The Billikens, Mid Century Modernist Architecture, Kafka, & Stoner Rock

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

July is only a few days old. Very few commitments have been made. Many including SLU are still evaluating players and deciding who to offer. I'd be surprised if July passes without at least 1 commitment.

#3 LouisvilleBilliken

LouisvilleBilliken

Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

A couple of guys to keep an eye on are: Anthony Pate and Chuk Ogbodo. Ogbodo is being recruited by new assistant coach Tanner Bronson. The video for Pate says 2014, but he is being recruited for 2013, his father confirmed that info.

Here are some highlight tapes on Pate and Ogbodo:

#4 kshoe

kshoe

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

This year, for the first time in several years, we must replace several players in the top eight. Yes, we lost Conklin and Cassidy, but by the end of the year Cassidy was way down in the rotation.

So now we lose three guys probably in the top eight. So why no commits yet? We need to get fall commits. Everytime we wait until spring we lose out to the majors. So who will our first fall commit be?

It could be argued that when all is said and done, the soon to be junior class of McCall, Evans, Loe and Jett could go down as one of the best ever at SLU. McCall and Evans were September oral committments I believe and Loe and Jett were signed in the spring.

Would it be nice to have a commit, sure, but there is no need to panic at this point.

#5 Taj79

Taj79

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

What do we have open? Ellis, Mitchell and Remekun? I'm with kshoe --- no longer are we a program that has to wait it out. Majerus doesn't seem to solely operate that way. I would expect at least one if not two to sign in Novmember but this thread is as relevant as who's going to start this season.

Of the above, Ogbodo is intriguing if for only the fact we don't ever get 6'10" guys. Pate begs to the question a Canadien? If for the only reason it's not a relative hot bed of a college pipeline -- at least not to me. But again, In Rick I trust.

#6 drkelsey55

drkelsey55

Billikens.com Proofreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:Billikens,9 grandchildren, watching Billiken Basketball

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

What do we have open? Ellis, Mitchell and Remekun? I'm with kshoe --- no longer are we a program that has to wait it out. Majerus doesn't seem to solely operate that way. I would expect at least one if not two to sign in Novmember but this thread is as relevant as who's going to start this season.

Of the above, Ogbodo is intriguing if for only the fact we don't ever get 6'10" guys. Pate begs to the question a Canadien? If for the only reason it's not a relative hot bed of a college pipeline -- at least not to me. But again, In Rick I trust.

I thought Loe and Manning where 6'11"

#7 Cowboy

Cowboy

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

I thought Loe and Manning where 6'11"

-i thought so, too

-i hope the next big announcement is a contract extension for Rick, pun intended
-It is VERY hard work being a Billiken fan.

#8 Taj79

Taj79

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Loe's 6'11" and plays more like 6'5". Manning is 6'11" and doesn't play. Yet.

On the roster are McCall, Jett, Barnett, Carter, Drew, McBroom, Glaze and Evans. Average height is about 6'3". Ogbodo look s like a nice defender and rebounder for the interior, an area that is indetermined at best onour roster, weak at worst.

#9 ACE

ACE

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

Grandy is from there. Canada is starting to produce a lot of good college basketball players - http://espn.go.com/m...greater-numbers

#10 Tonka

Tonka

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Taj, Canada has really come along in basketball. Andrew Nicholson and Grandy Glaze are both Canadians and while it may not be a hotbed like some areas, there is talent there. Gonzaga had four Canadians on their team a couple years ago. Like you said, in Rick I trust.

Time to fly the Jett!

#11 ACE

ACE

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

A couple of guys to keep an eye on are: Anthony Pate and Chuk Ogbodo. Ogbodo is being recruited by new assistant coach Tanner Bronson. The video for Pate says 2014, but he is being recruited for 2013, his father confirmed that info.

Here are some highlight tapes on Pate and Ogbodo:

My wish list includes a big scoring guard, a shotblocker and a big who can shoot from the outside to help replace Ellis and a year later Loe. It looks these two would take care of the big scoring guard and shot blocker. Some people fret about Ellis and Loe not being traditional bigs, but they are so important to the offense that we run. Look at the highlights from last year's games... Mitchell got countless layups in the half court offense because Loe and Ellis allow us to spread the floor... they are always threats with the pick and pop. We're going to need to develop another guy like that. They are hard to find.

#12 slufanskip

slufanskip

I have reached billiken_roy levels of posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

Loe's 6'11" and plays more like 6'5". Manning is 6'11" and doesn't play. Yet.

On the roster are McCall, Jett, Barnett, Carter, Drew, McBroom, Glaze and Evans. Average height is about 6'3". Ogbodo look s like a nice defender and rebounder for the interior, an area that is indetermined at best onour roster, weak at worst.

So the kid we are recruiting can't actually be 6'10" yet as he hasn't played a game for us.

This revelation must make recruiting much harder as you can't actually tell how tall a kid is until after he's played substantial minutes for your team.
"In Rick I trust" BillikenRoy 1-6-10 9:35am

#13 jbizzle09

jbizzle09

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

So the kid we are recruiting can't actually be 6'10" yet as he hasn't played a game for us.

This revelation must make recruiting much harder as you can't actually tell how tall a kid is until after he's played substantial minutes for your team.

Also, if Loe can't be counted as 6'11" because he plays like he is 6'5", does that mean we can count Evans as 6'11" as he plays taller than 6'5"?

#14 slufanskip

slufanskip

• Members
  • 11,353 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

One of the things I liked about Pate is that he finished with his left from the left and his right from the right. Also, I like lefty shooting guards.

#15 JMM28

JMM28

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Also, if Loe can't be counted as 6'11" because he plays like he is 6'5", does that mean we can count Evans as 6'11" as he plays taller than 6'5"?

Can guys vary in height by game based on how they play?

Did Horace Dixon errrrr actually exist?

If Brett Thompson falls in the woods an nobody sees it, is he still 6-8?

#16 kshoe

kshoe

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

I think we should only report wingspans, like Jay Bilas during a draft night.

#17 waldo027

waldo027

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

If you ignore our 2 players who are 6'8" and 2 others who are 6'11" we have a very small team.

#18 slufanskip

slufanskip

• Members
  • 11,353 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

If you ignore our 2 players who are 6'8" and 2 others who are 6'11" we have a very small team.

If you nonly count the ones under 6' it's even smaller.

#19 jimbofive

jimbofive

2013 Sponsor of the Letter J

• HATE
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,182 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

If you nonly count the ones under 6' it's even smaller.

WHAT THE FUOK IS WRONG WITH YOU???

12092396504_805c6933d8_o.jpg

#20 MB73

MB73

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Yep, we are pretty deep with bigs. Majerus has done wonders for the program. He gets us the 2-3* bigs and makes them contributors, productive.
A little foul trouble is no problem anymore. Remember when "V" got his 3rd foul? Game over.
I do wish we had an intimidating banger like Conklin or a shot blocking ath-u-lete like WR in the mix. That would ensure another great year.
Maybe Loe can be convinced he is our middle linebacker; Manning might be able to block some shots; GG might be physical, these are all unknowns.