166 replies to this topic

#1 RiseAndGrind

RiseAndGrind

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Got the nod over GMU. Not Creighton, but I'll take it.

http://www.cbssports...murphy/19042989

#2 brianstl

brianstl

I have reached billiken_roy levels of posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,528 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

I like VCU program, but I am not a fan of having two teams in Richmond.

#3 ACE

ACE

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

Great news. VCU is a clear upgrade over Charlotte. This further establishes that the A-10 is the destination for most of the best non-BCS programs. Hopefully Creighton will take notice and be poised to join if/when UMass leaves.

#4 NashvilleBilliken

NashvilleBilliken

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, if we can't have Creighton, then I'd have to be selfish and advocate for Belmont. VCU doesn't do much for me, but it probably strengthens the conference. If Butler and VCU can retain there coaches for a few more years, I may sing a different tune.
Nashville Billiken

#5 Cowboy

Cowboy

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

I like VCU program, but I am not a fan of having two teams in Richmond.

-i agree
-not sure we need to load up on the 44th or so metro area by population
-It is VERY hard work being a Billiken fan.

#6 JMM28

JMM28

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Meh. It will be interesting to see if Shaka is actually the coach in 2013.

#7 STLfan

STLfan

Junior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Great news. VCU along with Butler are two strong additions and programs that should both be good for the forseable future. Both Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart are great young coaches that look like they will be at those programs for a long time. They have both turned down multiple jobs from the "BCS" leagues and seem to be following the same path as Mark Few at Gonzaga.

I don't mind having two teams in Richmond since they are both good programs. Chris Mooney is doing a good job with the Spiders and is another quality A10 coach that turned down job offers from the "big" conferences.

I do hope that if we stay with 14 teams the A10 lets us play Butler home and away every year. They are now our closest conference opponent and playing twice per year would be a great way to build a rivalry. X and Dayton will always be each others main rival so I really hope we can build a good rivalry with BU.

#8 brianstl

brianstl

I have reached billiken_roy levels of posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,528 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

With the additions of Butler and VCU the teams that will make up the A10 have more sweet 16 appearances (9 times) over the last six year than the teams that make up the Pac 12 (7 times).

#9 STLfan

STLfan

Junior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Pretty sure almost every BCS job that has opened up in the last two years has wanted to hire him and he is still at VCU. Illinois went afer him hard last year and I beleive he grew up in that state and he still turned them down. Smart is making good money with a long term contract at VCU and seems to be happy building his program there. I guess the real challenge will be when one of the basketball blue blood programs open up. A program like Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, or UCLA at this point are the only jobs I could see him potentially leaviing for.

#10 ACE

ACE

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

VCU has had a nice run beginning with Capel, through Anthony Grant and now Shaka. The school has shown a commitment to building a good basketball program and their move to the A-10 reinforces that. Charlotte has become more interested in recent years in building a second rate football program. Butler and VCU earned a lot of respect with their Final 4 trips. This is great news for the league.

#11 wgstl

wgstl

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

I like it, they have a recent final four, and finished at 40th per kenpom last year, which would have put them in 3rd in the A10 last year.

#12 wgstl

wgstl

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

and they avg 6,000 a game, not a important stat,but that beats playing at some places..

#13 jbizzle09

jbizzle09

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Personally, I am excited to see them come into the conference. And, as ACE pointed out, they have been a solid program for a while now and have had tourney appearances under their last 3 head coaches. They immediately improve the competitive profile of the conference, just as Butler did. Any negatives that were pointed out are mitigated by the positives they bring.

#14 SShoe

SShoe

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

They also have a CBI championship.

While VCU has exploded under Smart, they've had a good thing going there for a while, so I don't know that the program's success is all because of Smart.

#15 JMM28

JMM28

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

I like it, they have a recent final four, and finished at 40th per kenpom last year, which would have put them in 3rd in the A10 last year.

Is that for last year or this year?

#16 Bobby Metzinger

Bobby Metzinger

#DreamsOfMakingIt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  • Interests:Dreams Of Making It

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

With the additions of Butler and VCU the teams that will make up the A10 have more sweet 16 appearances (9 times) over the last six year than the teams that make up the Pac 12 (7 times).

^ This.

Looking forward to SLU-VCU in baseball. They've historically had a solid program.

#17 wgstl

wgstl

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

Is that for last year or this year?

This past season.

#18 SLUMedBilliken15

SLUMedBilliken15

Freshman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

Shaka will stay with VCU. The A-10 will definitely be a better conference in 2013.

My concern: Will Majerus actually still be the coach here in 2013?
"We're going to be a top ten program in about 3 years.... I did it at Ball State, I did it at Utah, and we're gunna do it here." -Rick Majerus (March 2012)

#19 cheeseman

cheeseman

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,864 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

While I am still not crazy about adding another Richmond school - not sure how that helps with improving the conf's footprint for TV but what is done is done - at least they did not add a rummy school.

#20 kshoe

kshoe

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,345 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Reports now are that VCU will join next season making it a 15 team league for one season.

Probably means we are down to 2 "rivalry" games for next season. Obviously hope they are Dayton and Xavier.