#101 jbizzle09

jbizzle09

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

You, sir, are good.

Commies have to make sure their facts are on point at all times.

#102 Cowboy

Cowboy

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

You spelled Missouri Valley wrong

-nicely played, but i think mb refers to you as one of the 'usual suspects', wear that like a gold medal!!!!
-It is VERY hard work being a Billiken fan.

#103 brianstl

brianstl

I have reached billiken_roy levels of posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

I guess I imagined Butler's two trips to the sweet 16 under Lickleter in the past decade. Nothing good ever happened at Butler before Stevens.
No excuses this year.

Posted Image

#104 Box and Won

Box and Won

• Members
  • 10,673 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

This whole adding Butler business is ridiculous. Get us Indiana and Purdue instead. Replace Bonaventure with Syracuse. Boot Dayton in favor of Ohio State. Come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course.

***Billiken Football: Undefeated Since 1949***

"Justin Love: Shouldn't we all be just in love?" - Charlie Steiner, ESPN SportsCenter, March 2000

"John Redden is SIMMERING ONIONS!!" - Bill Raftery, CBS, March 2000

#105 Pistol

Pistol

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

VCU won 5 NCAA tourney games before Shaka's run.

Virginia Commonwealth's last NCAA Tournament win before the Shaka Smart era was in 2007 against Duke.

Draw your own conclusions.

#106 billiken_roy

billiken_roy

• Members
  • 22,043 posts
  • Interests:The Billikens, Ainad Shriner Drum and Bugle Corps, The Rotary Club of Swansea, Collecting Anheuser Busch Beer Steins, and Watching high school sports.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

Virginia Commonwealth's last NCAA Tournament win before the Shaka Smart era was in 2007 against Duke. Draw your own conclusions.

those sob's. no doubt cheated to win a game like that. i dont want em now either.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

#107 Cowboy

Cowboy

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

I know, I know. That "View It Anyway" button always gets me in trouble.

-just say no

#108 SShoe

SShoe

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

This whole adding Butler business is ridiculous. Get us Indiana and Purdue instead. Replace Bonaventure with Syracuse. Boot Dayton in favor of Ohio State. Come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course.

Ohio State has more tourney wins than Dayton. Indiana has more national championships than Butler. Syracuse is better than St. Bonaventure.

I'm just stating facts.

#109 MB73

MB73

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

MB just called Xavier and Gonzaga "mid majors". It's shocking how a guy with 1700 posts on this board can know so little about college basketball.

Are they in BCS conferences?

#110 RiseAndGrind

RiseAndGrind

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Are they in BCS conferences?

BCS = BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

BCS is for football, not basketball.

#111 MB73

MB73

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

and MB you still havent told us what schools would have been better alternatives.

I never said I would tell you. You asked, yes.
I just said that VCU and Butler are overrated, I am not ga-ga over them like some of you.
Both teams are on a roll, some attributable to their outstanding coach, and some random luck with some players that panned out (Butler). I say they will fall back to the pack when they lose their current superstar coach and get into a stronger conference (A-10 = # 7, vs # 14 & # 15).

#112 MB73

MB73

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

BCS = BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

BCS is for football, not basketball.

I know, kid, but the massive budgets put the hoops programs into basically the same category.

#113 billiken_roy

billiken_roy

• Members
  • 22,043 posts
  • Interests:The Billikens, Ainad Shriner Drum and Bugle Corps, The Rotary Club of Swansea, Collecting Anheuser Busch Beer Steins, and Watching high school sports.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

I never said I would tell you. You asked, yes.
I just said that VCU and Butler are overrated, I am not ga-ga over them like some of you.
Both teams are on a roll, some attributable to their outstanding coach, and some random luck with some players that panned out (Butler). I say they will fall back to the pack when they lose their current superstar coach and get into a stronger conference (A-10 = # 7, vs # 14 & # 15).

OK, so what would mb have done? you didnt want butler or vcu, what would you have done if you were the all powerful A-10/billikens benefactor god when temple and charlotte gave notice? we just want to understand where you are coming from that could possibly explain why you are not ga ga over butler and vcu. from the majority of our viewpoints, we cannot see a better alternative, so please tell us what should have happened instead.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

#114 brianstl

brianstl

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

OK, so what would mb have done? you didnt want butler or vcu, what would you have done if you were the all powerful A-10/billikens benefactor god when temple and charlotte gave notice? we just want to understand where you are coming from that could possibly explain why you are not ga ga over butler and vcu. from the majority of our viewpoints, we cannot see a better alternative, so please tell us what should have happened instead.

MVC

No excuses this year.

Posted Image

#115 MB73

MB73

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Broy, you are slipping.
I said in a previous post that Butler and VCU are OK, but that I am not so thrilled and excited about them, they are overrated, come from weak conferences, and they are not an upgrade over Temple and Charlotte combined.
You said Butler and VCU are an upgrade. Fine.
I say, A-10 conference = allowance horses, Horizon and Colonial are claimers.
I offered no better solutions, it would be a joke to go through that exercise, what two teams would be better, realistically. Should I say Creighton then all the loons will pile on about the MVC (.0066 lower RPI than A-10) and Duke and soccer.
So, the answer is, fine, VCU and Butler, but that they are overrated, achieved some great things recently (deep into the tourney) but probably will be has-beens when the two coaches leave and they play in the A-10.

#116 MB73

MB73

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

MVC

.0066 lower RPI than A-10.

#117 moytoy12

moytoy12

• Members
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Broy, you are slipping.
I said in a previous post that Butler and VCU are OK, but that I am not so thrilled and excited about them, they are overrated, come from weak conferences, and they are not an upgrade over Temple and Charlotte combined.
You said Butler and VCU are an upgrade. Fine.
I say, A-10 conference = allowance horses, Horizon and Colonial are claimers.
I offered no better solutions, it would be a joke to go through that exercise, what two teams would be better, realistically. Should I say Creighton then all the loons will pile on about the MVC (.0066 lower RPI than A-10) and Duke and soccer.
So, the answer is, fine, VCU and Butler, but that they are overrated, achieved some great things recently (deep into the tourney) but probably will be has-beens when the two coaches leave and they play in the A-10.

Listen, kid, I think everyone would agree with you about adding Creighton and I suspect a fair amount of them would want Creighton over VCU.

#118 moytoy12

moytoy12

• Members
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

.0066 lower RPI than A-10.

How many MVC teams have made the final four recently?

Also, I'm guessing the MVC and CAA/Horizon have been pretty close in RPI, yet the top teams from the CAA/Horizon are overrated.

#119 jbizzle09

jbizzle09

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

How many MVC teams have made the final four recently?

Also, I'm guessing the MVC and CAA/Horizon have been pretty close in RPI, yet the top teams from the CAA/Horizon are overrated.

I think the way to show MB why the combo of Butler and VCU is an upgrade to Temple and Charlotte is to use comparitive RPIs and show the difference (especially since he loves RPI so much!) Since 2001, here are the average RPI rankings of these teams:

Butler - 64
VCU - 70
Temple - 63
Charlotte - 106

So, over the past 12 seasons, the combined average RPI rankings of Temple and Butler are nearly identical, while VCU's is 36 places better than Charlotte's. And mind you, this isn't just over the past couple of seasons, but for the past 12. (SLU's over that period of time is 110, in case you wanted to know.) Let's also look at NCAA tourney wins in that same period of time, as that will show how these teams have fared on the biggest stage:

Butler - 16
VCU - 7
Temple - 4
Charlotte - 1

So, over the past 12 seasons, VCU and Butler have combined for 23 NCAA tourney wins, while Temple and Charlotte have combined for 5. That is a pretty large disparity, no matter how you dice it, and regardless of what glamour boy is coach at the time.

Ever since these moves have started being dicussed, and especially as they have come to fruition, it appears that the opinion has been that Temple for Butler is pretty much a wash and VCU for Charlotte is a win for the A-10. Combined, it would appear that the A-10 is getting stronger with these moves, not staying at the same strength or possibly even getting weaker. Considering the sustained success that both VCU and Butler have had through various coaching regimes, and their ability to face-off and beat competition from the power conferences over the years, I just don't see how anyone can see this as a YAWN.

But, you know, some people like nothing more than to piss in other people's Cheerios.

#120 Cowboy

Cowboy

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

I think the way to show MB why the combo of Butler and VCU is an upgrade to Temple and Charlotte is to use comparitive RPIs and show the difference (especially since he loves RPI so much!) Since 2001, here are the average RPI rankings of these teams: Butler - 64 VCU - 70 Temple - 63 Charlotte - 106 So, over the past 12 seasons, the combined average RPI rankings of Temple and Butler are nearly identical, while VCU's is 36 places better than Charlotte's. And mind you, this isn't just over the past couple of seasons, but for the past 12. (SLU's over that period of time is 110, in case you wanted to know.) Let's also look at NCAA tourney wins in that same period of time, as that will show how these teams have fared on the biggest stage: Butler - 16 VCU - 7 Temple - 4 Charlotte - 1 So, over the past 12 seasons, VCU and Butler have combined for 23 NCAA tourney wins, while Temple and Charlotte have combined for 5. That is a pretty large disparity, no matter how you dice it, and regardless of what glamour boy is coach at the time. Ever since these moves have started being dicussed, and especially as they have come to fruition, it appears that the opinion has been that Temple for Butler is pretty much a wash and VCU for Charlotte is a win for the A-10. Combined, it would appear that the A-10 is getting stronger with these moves, not staying at the same strength or possibly even getting weaker. Considering the sustained success that both VCU and Butler have had through various coaching regimes, and their ability to face-off and beat competition from the power conferences over the years, I just don't see how anyone can see this as a YAWN. But, you know, some people like nothing more than to piss in other people's Cheerios.

-bizzle, kid, when will you learn facts are not reality with some people??? :blink:
-good stuff
-since tourney appearances are not important i would guess tourney wins are also not important