108 replies to this topic

#61 Tonka

Tonka

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

You can never have enough good guards - I agree. However, we need to be focusing on big men as well and not the undersized hybrid players we want to play as a big. Nobody is asking for the 5 star big men. Guys like Manning who RM says has NBA potential will be fine with me. With Rick's ability to coach up players, we don't have to even worry about going after the stud recruits everybody else is after. We just need serviceable big men that RM can develop. I'd like them to develop a year sooner than Conk did, but Conk was also battling injuries so that might not be fair.

Put me in the camp that also thought Rick would bring in consistent big men that he can help develop into NBA players. However, those were different times. It seems more competitive than ever and there is more parity today than anytime I can remember. So, in Rick I will trust. Rick knows what he is doing, so I have to believe every recruit we sign is for a good reason.

I am way more concerned with RM sticking around and also with the lack of financial support from Fr. B than any recruit we ever sign that may seem like a speculative commit. Rick has proven himself and for that he deserves my trust. Fr. B has not proven his ongoing support and that makes me nervous.

Time to fly the Jett!

#62 SluSignGuy

SluSignGuy

I have literally been doing this over half my life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hello, we just lost another guard to transfer, the Greek, and replaced him with a better player. Where's all this consternation coming from?

That is a pretty good point.

#63 RiseAndGrind

RiseAndGrind

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

For all those that think we need a gigantic big man, turn on ESPN. Kenneth Faried is kicking ass & he's listed at 6'8.

#64 MB73

MB73

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Posted ImageMB73, on 04 May 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

For once, we completely agree. I was going to write that exact same thing. Wow.
I am pleased with RM, have been a big supporter, but expected by now that he would have recruited some legit 4* bigs, maybe a 5*, 4's and 5's.
This kid from Central Michigan might be a good pick up but we are getting thin up front, no real post up players, no intimidating force on "D", no inside muscle, unless somehow RL and CE take it up two notches down low, or Glaze or Manning surprise.

I'm still pissed RM didn't get Anthony Davis.

Lame. Infantile. Annoying. Immature.

#65 MB73

MB73

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

You can never have enough good guards - I agree. However, we need to be focusing on big men as well and not the undersized hybrid players we want to play as a big. Nobody is asking for the 5 star big men. Guys like Manning who RM says has NBA potential will be fine with me. With Rick's ability to coach up players, we don't have to even worry about going after the stud recruits everybody else is after. We just need serviceable big men that RM can develop. I'd like them to develop a year sooner than Conk did, but Conk was also battling injuries so that might not be fair.

Put me in the camp that also thought Rick would bring in consistent big men that he can help develop into NBA players. However, those were different times. It seems more competitive than ever and there is more parity today than anytime I can remember. So, in Rick I will trust. Rick knows what he is doing, so I have to believe every recruit we sign is for a good reason.

I am way more concerned with RM sticking around and also with the lack of financial support from Fr. B than any recruit we ever sign that may seem like a speculative commit. Rick has proven himself and for that he deserves my trust. Fr. B has not proven his ongoing support and that makes me nervous.

Great post. Spot on.

#66 Bizziken

Bizziken

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

couldn't agree more. RM knows what he is doing. We are deep so getting a guy we know has experience and can play and shoot to sit for a year to learn our system is more than ok with me. we have solid foundation and now we can attract some bigs because we have shooters, slashers, and unselfish distributors to welcome a solid big. We will be more than ok.

And, we can start recruiting Dakota Simms as our next guard. This kid is legit...with a Conklin attitude already.

Majerus won't like him...all offense, no defense...

#67 Fansince59

Fansince59

Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

Why is he transferring?

#68 thetorch

thetorch

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts
  • Interests:The Billikens, Mid Century Modernist Architecture, Kafka, & Stoner Rock

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:56 AM

Why is he transferring?

Coaching change.

Ziegler was fired as coach of CMU. His son, Trey a top 50 recruit, has left the program. Trey and McBroom were tight, McBroom leaves.

#69 slufanskip

slufanskip

I have reached billiken_roy levels of posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,284 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

The problem is when we recruit bigs who don't immediately knock Billiken.com's socks off as freshmen they get discounted. We're worried about bigs because there isn't enough faith in JM and GG who were just recruited last year. In 2 years there is a chance those to could be the best 5-4 combo in the A-10
"In Rick I trust" BillikenRoy 1-6-10 9:35am

#70 Box and Won

Box and Won

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

It's too bad Majerus didn't get us that fat slob who just transferred to Xavier.

***Billiken Football: Undefeated Since 1949***

"Justin Love: Shouldn't we all be just in love?" - Charlie Steiner, ESPN SportsCenter, March 2000

"John Redden is SIMMERING ONIONS!!" - Bill Raftery, CBS, March 2000

#71 slufan13

slufan13

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

The problem is when we recruit bigs who don't immediately knock Billiken.com's socks off as freshmen they get discounted. We're worried about bigs because there isn't enough faith in JM and GG who were just recruited last year. In 2 years there is a chance those to could be the best 5-4 combo in the A-10

+1

Between CR, JM, and GG we'll be fine in the post. CR has shown flashes. Majerus has hyped up JM. We know RM exaggerates a lot, but I'm going to believe him about JM until I actually see differently. GG was recruited by some BCS schools and decommitted from UNLV to come here so others have seen the potential in him. Then you add in RL and CE with strong perimeter games and improved post games, we're looking good. DE and possibly JD could even see some time at the 4.

Out strength will always be our backcourt. We have guards who can play with almost anyone and we have some big men who create matchup problems for the defense. Also, I expect to see KM be a lot more comfortable playing again next year, and I see him taking over a lot of games as a senior. After everything he's been through, he's not gonna settle for anything less than what we acheived this past year.

#72 NH

NH

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

If we keep recruiting at the level we are now, both with guards and forwards, we'll be alright.

Between Loe, Manning, Glaze we have some talented developing bigs.

#73 MB73

MB73

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

If we keep recruiting at the level we are now, both with guards and forwards, we'll be alright.

Between Loe, Manning, Glaze we have some talented developing bigs.

I agree but one of them is going to have to play post up effectively to make up for the loss of Conklin. And be truly intimidating and physical.
The threat of Brian down low was as important or more important than his 14ppg. And he was a very physical player, a banger. His performance made the big difference, however you want to frame it, a surprise or that he was finally healthy. Sure, others played well, do not get me wrong. But inside is where we needed a lift.
So one of them is going to have to step up a few notches, and Manning and Glaze are unknowns.
I have confidence in RM, he is the best thing to happen to SLU since Spoon, but we need something to happen here.
Again, I had hoped by now RM with the momentum we have, would get us a 4* or Top 100 ESPN type developed big to come in and give us more immediate help.
We shall see.

#74 For-DaLove

For-DaLove

FVCU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

I agree but one of them is going to have to play post up effectively to make up for the loss of Conklin. And be truly intimidating and physical.
The threat of Brian down low was as important or more important than his 14ppg. And he was a very physical player, a banger. His performance made the big difference, however you want to frame it, a surprise or that he was finally healthy. Sure, others played well, do not get me wrong. But inside is where we needed a lift.
So one of them is going to have to step up a few notches, and Manning and Glaze are unknowns.
I have confidence in RM, he is the best thing to happen to SLU since Spoon, but we need something to happen here.
Again, I had hoped by now RM with the momentum we have, would get us a 4* or Top 100 ESPN type developed big to come in and give us more immediate help.
We shall see.

We didn't get any sort of momentum until about 2 months ago. And you don't just start landing 4* bigs because of 1 tourney appearance. Patience, my friend

“Lance, you've weaseled yourself through life using your hearing as an excuse. You're a disgrace to cripples. If I was a cripple in a wheelchair and saw [the way] you play basketball, I'd shoot myself.”
-Rick Majerus

"The promises of this world are, for the most part, vain phantoms; and to confide in one's self, and become something of worth and value is the best and safest course."
-Michelangelo

"That's what we're here for, to win championships."

-Jordair Jett

#75 cheeseman

cheeseman

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

you want to show me the dustin mcguire post where i was excited/ you want to show me where i defended holding scholarships? i think you have been reading too many ace posts. i may not have attacked the moves, but i dont recall being "excited" or "ok".

Roy, you beat me to it - I was just going to post that I never heard you say you were excited about DM or AM - in fact if I had to guess, I would have to say you probably questioned both. As far as saving schollies - do not remember your position on that.

#76 moytoy12

moytoy12

• Members
  • 14,676 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

We shall see.

And how often has that ever happened with RM at any of his HC stops? Maybe Keith van Horn?

It will take a "super miracle" for us to land a big that is going to contribute in any material way his freshman year. Outside of hoping for a super miracle, schools like SLU generally have to land 1-3* star bigs, give 'em time to develop and enjoy the results 2-3 years down the road. Under this scenario, we have Loe going into his 3rd year. CE is basically going into his 3rd year. JM and GG into their 2nd years. CR is the only one that we probably could have hoped for a little more out of by this point, but RM has said all along that CR was young for his year. I also believe we are going to see a very solid/good player in CR next year.

#77 RiseAndGrind

RiseAndGrind

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

you want to show me the dustin mcguire post where i was excited/ you want to show me where i defended holding scholarships? i think you have been reading too many ace posts. i may not have attacked the moves, but i dont recall being "excited" or "ok".

You're welcome Roy. You should feel vindicated:

• Members
  • Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
  • 20,508 posts

625]
Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:49 PM

ture box, however my wonder on maguire has always been "what's the rush?"

i truly believe we could have gotten a better all around player that could also shoot the three. if he was the next coming of rick mount or glen rice, then by all means pull the trigger asap. but one has to admit it is somewhat amusing that we rushed to sign maguire yet we took months to decide to offer stemler who is every bit the shooter that maguire is plus more experienced, a little taller and bigger. makes no sense.

when have i ever touted maguire? i have said he is a good shooter, but i have always expressed my concerns that there are questions about whether he can play the wing in college after being a center his entire high school career.

i have numerous times stated here that maguire isnt even the best player on edwardsville's team and that we likely would have been better taking stewart before maguire.
---------

#78 WVBilliken

WVBilliken

Junior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

we better get a big or two who can contribute fast this fall signing period otherwise we will be very thin on the front line in 2013-14 even if manning and gg are good.

#79 billikenfan05

billikenfan05

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,884 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

we better get a big or two who can contribute fast this fall signing period otherwise we will be very thin on the front line in 2013-14 even if manning and gg are good.

Maybe if you say it a few more times it will happen.

#NBTW

What Stevie Wonder is to the Jonas Brothers, Kevin Lisch is to Saint Louis -John Buccigross (SportsCenter)

KC PULLS HIS BALLS OUT AND SHOWS EVERYONE HOW BIG THEY ARE. FROM THREEPOINTLAND. (Jimbofive)

#80 slu72

slu72

• Members
  • 11,590 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:50 AM

I think you left out RL and DE who'll play on that squad.