OT: Majerus Coaching Tree

Taj79

You hear about the Hank Iba coaching tree. The Adolph Rupp coaching tree. Al Maguire had Rick and Hank Raymonds on his title bench at Marquette. Bobby Knioght has a tree. So does Coach K (who actually came from Knight's tree) if you count Dawkins, Brey Snyder and others. You hear about program trees as well such as Xavier --- Gillen, Prosser, Gaudio, Matta, Miller, Mack, etc.

Does anyone know if or what branches Majerus has ever had? Let's discount Jensen in Canton and Moser at Loyola for now. Whitesell is out as is Crews (I'd put Crews on a Bobby Knight tree anyway).

Crews and Whitesell say they are using Majerus system.

How do you qualify to be on the tree? Must you be both player and assistant?

Seems that is all out the window if you publicly say you are using Majerus system instead of Knight's?

imo if crews would remain the head coach for at least 5 seasons (i.e. he has his own recruited players in the program), and would continue to use rickma plays, team rules, practice methods, and continue to win, then you could say crews is a rickma branch. same with moser.

Speaking of recruits, seemed like a couple of kids were there last nigh as there was a large contingent of people talking to crews outside the locker room after the game. Assumed the two high school bball-looking kids were possible recruits and the rest were family.

Saw a lot of new fans at a game that should have sold out. Weather, bad scheduling, ability to watch on CBS all killed us.

I bet there are few other on campus facilities selling hard liquor at games. Remember the pre-Chaifetz mega rumor of no beer in the new arena. It's great to be a Catholic school basketball fan. 50-50 and highballs; surprised we don't stay for bingo after the games!

This was great basketball. RM would have been fired up.

DE came out looking like he was playing for national recognition. The Lobos three bigs were really good.

This was a talented team we beat.

We looked well schooled. Did Tanner break down the films? JB had lots to say in huddle. JB had a good game with timely rebound snares as bigs nullified each other.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Westy03" data-cid="334164" data-time="1357062915"><p>

Freshman Jayson Tatum was there and I couldn't tell who the other kid was</p></blockquote>

Ronnie Suggs

it is interesting that we all at once are getting visits from top local underclassmen (tatum, diecker, reddick, suggs) without a clue who our next coach will be. i think this is a great sign that those same kids are interested in saint louis university, not some name coach. that said, when it comes down to it, we better have a coach in place that can seal the deal with this kids next summer. those four kids alone would go a long long way to really helping the billikens name with the local community plus they are darn good gets as well.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Westy03" data-cid="334164" data-time="1357062915"><p>

Freshman Jayson Tatum was there and I couldn't tell who the other kid was</p></blockquote>

Im guessing he goes to Flordia and continues the Chaminade gators pipeline.

I bet there are few other on campus facilities selling hard liquor at games. Remember the pre-Chaifetz mega rumor of no beer in the new arena. It's great to be a Catholic school basketball fan. 50-50 and highballs; surprised we don't stay for bingo after the games!

I personally verified the $2 beers before the game.

For clarification: a guy who starts out sitting somewhere next to Majerus and progresses onward and upward to a head coaching job himself. Moser had Illinois State under his belt before sitting with Rick. I would count Jensen if he stays with it, he started with RM. Whitesell and Crews no for the same reason Moser is not. I guess I'm going back mostly to Utah days. Has Majerus ever developed a coach who others ended up coveting and hiring? Spoon had Jay --- no count there. I do not believe Digger had a tree. Neither Boeheim nor Calhoun. I was just curious.

In regards to the Majerus coaching tree, I would think the main names on the list are:

Dick Hunsaker
Donny Daniels
Kerry Rupp
Jeff Judkins
Alex Jensen

These are all guys who didn't get their first taste of head coaching experience until after being an assistant under Majerus. I think it would be fair to consider Harriman on that list if (when?) he gets a head coaching job.

Saw a lot of new fans at a game that should have sold out. Weather, bad scheduling, ability to watch on CBS all killed us.

I bet there are few other on campus facilities selling hard liquor at games. Remember the pre-Chaifetz mega rumor of no beer in the new arena. It's great to be a Catholic school basketball fan. 50-50 and highballs; surprised we don't stay for bingo after the games

Pre-game fish fry might draw a few extras too.