The Sophomores

ACE

Just four games in so a lot can change, but at this point, I'm a bit disappointed in the sophomores. I felt that if one or two of them could emerge and take on a bigger role, it would help ease the transition for the freshmen. I'm still not exactly sure what we have with this group. Crawford has his moments, but not sure he will ever be anything more than a role player. Reggie's rebounding has been pretty strong, but offensively I thought he would do a bit more. Maybe the guards aren't finding him, but hasn't finished very well around the basket. Lancona, I thought we would see more pick and pops. What should we expect from the sophomores the rest of the way?

I refer to the Sophomores as Freshmen-plus since they received very little game experience last season. Hopefully they get going. Agbeko is a rebounding machine, but he has trouble finishing with his off hand (which is his right). Lancona seems tentative and maybe a little intimindated for some reason (I didn't see last night's game so I'm basing this off the first 3). He looked pretty good at the end of the season last year. Crawford has been decent, but we have to find him some open shots.

Blame can certainly be spread around. And it sounds obvious, but worth repeating -- we need each player to pick up their game. In the SIUC game, McBroom lead and carried us. Last night, Reynolds (19 points) and McBroom (15 points) did the same. Against A & M CC, no one did. At the same time, we probably won't be able to count on such large scoring from 1 or 2 guys each game. And without picking on the best of the bunch, guys like Ash cannot play 25 minutes and score only 6 points, Tanner cannot play 23 minutes and score only 2 points and the rest of the team cannot play 9 to 17 minutes scoring anywhere from 0 to 4 points. If each guy other than McBroom and Reynolds score an extra 2 points, we would would have won easily. Missed bunnies, missed FTs, missed wide open looks. This team might only do well by committee, and right now, the committee needs improvement.

On the broadcast they threw up a chart at the beginning of the second half of points by class thru the first 3.5 games:

FR 71 points/6= 11.8 pts per player

SO 32 points/3= 10.66 pts per player

JR 77 points/2= 38.5 pts per player

SR 7 points/1= 7 pts per player (since GG hasn't played I left him off)

Now it was expected AM and AY would lead us in scoring early on. And, up until last night, our lone SR has been virtually invisible when it comes to scoring. I would agree that the SO class is letting us down in the scoring column. They should be getting more pts per player than the FR. MC's had his moments, but he should have been a zone buster last night instead he shot it like JB. TL has appeared somewhat timid compared to last year, and RA, while he's got the moves, can't finish.

I will say that Lancona appeared to have a pretty decent game last night, doing some of the dirty work that's not necessarily reflected in the stat sheet.

Agreed, he looked better. But Crawford has looked lost the past couple games, after drilling that clutch 3 in the opener.

Lancona is still thinking too much - when he reacts to the moment, he shows something. No hurry to write him off.

Reggie is a beast on the boards - when the games slows down for him, he'll finish a lot more of his shots. Have to love his hops and aggressiveness.

McBroom is an elite shooter from the outside; run him through 1,2,3, or 4 screens and see how opps react to that - it will open up others. He hasn't

much of a handle; limit his dribbling.

Yacoubou - not much of a handle, but has some gifts, including a nose for the ball.

Ergo: Bartley and Reynolds bring up the ball.