Couldn't we just start the freshman like in 2010-2011

Bickel ended up at UMSL. Wasn't even a good player there.

No idea where Brian Smith ended up.

Grant tore up his knee against DePaul. I remember watching it on TV as a kid. Tons of potential.

We all know what Winfield did at Mizzou. A lot gets said about how he insisted on being a pg and was used in the wrong position his freshman year. That is true, but we had no pg on that team, we had no choice. At Mizzou he played in a tweener role and was very good at it.

Grawer was a decent player at Tulsa. Certainly not great.

This meltdown year had been building for several years. Grawer had lost the direction of the program, some due to his own work, others due to the bungling of the good Father. Grawer's 2 year feud with Kevin Footes weighed on a lot of players. Grawer cut corners on recruiting, bringing in questionable kids. Stewart famously sucker punched John Duff in practice, was suspended in the MCC tournament, and then was released from his scholarship,. Stewart wound up at Oklahoma City college and was summarily kicked off that team. Jorge Wallace also was plagued with legal problems and left the team. Those two were our starting backcourt.

Biondi, in hindsight, rightly refused to extend Grawer before the season despite Yow's protestations. that put Grawer and his staff under even more pressure adding into it that the dysfunctional team now has Grawer and Winfield's sons on the team doing their best to save their father's jobs.

Melvin was the first to strike. He and Floyd Irons notified Yow he was leaving the team, without telling Grawer first. Irons publicly criticized Grawer in the media as well. Big Mel transferred to AZ st, never played then went pro. His career arc was similar to Willie Reed's. A couple 10 day contracts but never made the NBA.

Then it was Skinner's turn. Skinner took himself out of the game against Chicago St. When Grawer yanked him Skinner took the tape off his hands and feet so he couldn't play anymore. His mother saw him and came out of the stands to chastise him during the game. He left the team soon thereafter.

Irvin just walked off the court against Memphis St in the middle of the game. Never came back.

Grawer had no power, with no contract. He had lost the confidence of the players and many of them realized he had zero authority and they walked all over him. The freshman took over Claggett, Highmark, Winfield, and Grawer to a point. While Grawer is given a ton of credit for bringing in this great class, he was forced to misuse his top recruit, and half the class were borderline D-1 players at least the Great Midwest level in Bickel, Smith & Grawer.

Great recap, thanks!

Spoon should be given more credit for salvaging Claggett and Highmark from that dumpster fire of a situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjnPPBdlq_4#t=144

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great recap, thanks!

Spoon should be given more credit for salvaging Claggett and Highmark from that dumpster fire of a situation.

I'd forgot the "dumpster fire" myself. I was a marginal Billiken Fan at the time. My family were season tix holders but I didn't go to the games.....

Interesting recap. I was only starting to become aware of college basketball at that time. Grawer's last season sounds a little similar to the way things spiraled out of control for Whitey and the Cardinals after Gussie died, with Whitey ultimately ditching the team in the middle of the 1990 season.

I'd like to know more about what all went down that year. Orlando Stewart got kicked out of school for stealing before the season even started or was he gone before the end of the previous year?

My recollection was that Stewart got caught stealing ash trays at the team's year-end banquet. I could be wrong as it has been a few decades.

Great recap, thanks!

Absolutely. Claggett was all but gone to Northern Iowa and Norm Stewart was interested in Highmark. Keeping both was all Spoon.

Any reason Yarbrough shouldn't start?

If for no other reason than that he plays multiple positions. He can sub for multiple players who get in foul trouble and can give an opposing team a different look in a couple ways off the bench.

I say the fact that he can come in as a productive 3 or 4 is an advantage. He seems a more natural 3 to me but he gives us a productive 4 coming in for RA while TL gets his game right. Kid is going to be a beast in no time!

Yarborough should get at least 25 minutes per game. Bartley and Gillman should get at least 20 each. They are our best passers and have the best feel for the game. Get Roby, Reynolds and Jolly at least 15. Cut back on McBroom unless you can figure out how to get his some open looks to set up catch and shoot in rhythm. Let Yacabou play because he can sometimes defend and rebound. Let Manning play some for defense. There is your 8 man rotation. You can substitute the rest for minutes here or there depending on your needs.

Yarborough should get at least 25 minutes per game. Bartley and Gillman should get at least 20 each. They are our best passers and have the best feel for the game. Get Roby, Reynolds and Jolly at least 15. Cut back on McBroom unless you can figure out how to get his some open looks to set up catch and shoot in rhythm. Let Yacabou play because he can sometimes defend and rebound. Let Manning play some for defense. There is your 8 man rotation. You can substitute the rest for minutes here or there depending on your needs.

throw Roby in your 20 minutes category and youre pretty spot on

disagree, Lancona and Crawford played well today, but didn't get enough minutes imo.