Big East Talk

Fansince59

The advantage SLU has over other 'west' schools is if a team like GT demands to play in 18K+ arena, Scottrade is 'down the block'... And, it would only be every other year.

The BE has made my Alma Mater play most its games at MSG for this very reason, while the away game would be in ... let's say, the Carrier dome.

From a $$$ stand point, SJU Carnesecca 'arena' is way under 10K, and SLU would want to play in MSG, which in turn might have the Johnnies want to play in Scottrade the following year. $$$ talks and play a role in everything.

I understand the Bills play in a 10k+ house, but being in the BE would most certainly create some 'big house' games.

I also concur only two teams will join, with home n home w/n division & alt home n home with other six teams. This will allow current scheduling contracts with Syr, Pitt, etc. to continue with other original BE teams and have a 16 game league schedule.

Butler plays in a 9000 seat arena, with an 18,000 seat arena located 5 miles south in downtown Indy. Georgetown plays where they are assigned to play. (Good to see you NY_T. I gave up too.)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The home team gets the revenue from the tix sale at their arena. The visiting team gets none of it so why would any visiting team care where they played. They would only care if the game is televised and then they would want a full rocking house not some place that is 1/3 empty.

By the way nobody is asking for a re seating just that when they do re seat what will be the reason and advantage. As I said earlier, SLU will not re seat until they can make sure they will raise a big pot of money for doing so.

Wow, Georgetown only fills up about half of the Verizon. Didn't know there was that much apathy.

http://www.hoyabasketball.com/records/attendance.htm

Unless I am missing something, you're right. Alot of apathy. 10800, or so,per game in 1984 when they were #1 and won the National Championship? And in a building which holds nearly 20,000, that means a handful of sellouts would greatly raise the average of poorly attended games up to to 10,800.

And Georgetown is not nearly as good as their own fans think they are and have been. And while we are talking about it, the 1980's are over, the new Big East is not the same as the original Big East, the Big East is not the only conference playing on on ESPN on Monday nights anymore, the new John Thompson is not as good as the original John Thompson and that Georgetown Syracuse rivalry game was largely carried over the years by Syracuse.

None of the BE schools are big enough draw to warrant the game being played at the Scottrade Center. That would probably require an opponent on the order of Duke, NC, Mizzou, or Illinois.

I would love to see SLU start a series with Illinois (as they will be really good in the future), but i know Mizzou always does that braggin rights series in late December. I think a similar type series such as Notre Dame could be cool for SLU and I think a lot of people would go to a game at Scotttrade.

There isn't an opponent in the country that makes sense to play at Savvis from a financial standpoint.

Bonwich - the first game this season was a sell out with a jam packed student section. It might be too early to say that.

Yeah. We see how making the Dance three years in a row and having one of the top records in college BB for the past three years has increased season ticket sales. Can we once and for all put the "Just win baby" myth to rest?

Has it not increased our programs popularity exponentially? Because I think it has

RM's final gift to us Billiken fans -- a winning tradition!!

After only 1 year to the NCAA Tourney and amid uncertainty with RM having stepped down for health reasons, Jim Crews signs MIke Crawford. Then, after our second consecutive really good year/NCAA Tourney, we sign Reggie and Tanner in the Spring. With our third successful year underway and amid great promise, we begin signing the Frosh. Without these Frosh, we return to mediocrity

And comparing our current Frosh to last year's Seniors as Freshmen, our current Frosh don't have to carry the load themselves. Too early to tell, possibly equal or even greater talent, but certainly more quantity and taller. They also have 4th year Juniors in Ash and McBroom along with veteran Seniors GG and JM who can/will certainly help the development process in practice and in the locker room if not so much on the court during games.

RM's final gift to us Billiken fans -- a winning tradition!!

After only 1 year to the NCAA Tourney and amid uncertainty with RM having stepped down for health reasons, Jim Crews signs MIke Crawford. Then, after our second consecutive really good year/NCAA Tourney, we sign Reggie and Tanner in the Spring. With our third successful year underway and amid great promise, we begin signing the Frosh. Without these Frosh, we return to mediocrity

And comparing our current Frosh to last year's Seniors as Freshmen, our current Frosh don't have to carry the load themselves. Too early to tell, possibly equal or even greater talent, but certainly more quantity and taller. They also have 4th year Juniors in Ash and McBroom along with veteran Seniors GG and JM who can/will certainly help the development process in practice and in the locker room if not so much on the court during games.

Obviously we have to see how it plays out with this freshman filled team, but the signs are very promising. Yeah it is a long shot to think about the NCAA tourney this year, but I think next year is a very real possibility based on the talent we do have. I'm expecting another visit to the tourney next year. I think it is safe to say that if that happens, we have a sustained winning program. This is exactly what we wanted from RM and he did it the right way (I know some disagree but he did what he thought he needed to do within the rules of the NCAA and College Basketball Scholarships). Also let's not forget that it was Rick who went after Jim Crews which is looking like another great decision. There are other factors...new arena and better facilities, but in no way does that take away the success RM brought us as a PROGRAM.

It would be great, but a bit of a stretch, to make the NIT this year. I think if that happens, everyone is healthy, and with the 2 new recruits on board, the dance next year would seem a doable goal. Especially excited over Neufield as he seems to have a D1 body. Don't know much about Wellmer, but the prep year should help. I also don't think TL stays in this slump and will eventually find his way. Still a long way to go, but, so far, the arrow's pointing in the right direction. Very encouraged in the direction JCs taking the program.

Yeah. We see how making the Dance three years in a row and having one of the top records in college BB for the past three years has increased season ticket sales. Can we once and for all put the "Just win baby" myth to rest?

re: winning and the correlation with attendance

Here are the opening night crowds in the Chaifetz era, along with the increase/decrease over the previous year, and the previous year win%

2014: 10,015 vs SIUC, 29.83% increase, previous season win%: 79.4

2013: 7,714 vs SEMO, 10.87% increase, previous season win%: 80.0

2012: 6,958 vs SC-Upstate, 7.10% increase, previous season win%: 76.5

2011: 6,497 vs Tenn St, 13.5% decrease, previous season win%: 38.7

2010: 7,511 vs Austin Peay, 5.33% increase, previous season win%: 63.9%

2009: 7,131 vs SEMO, 0.54% decrease, previous season win%: 56.3%

2008: 7,170 vs UMSL

Average Attendance

2013-14: 8428

2012-13: 7673

2011-12: 7757

Number of games > 10k

2008-2011: 2

2012-2015: 12

Back in 2011-12 there was concern because the team was winning, and attendance wasn't as high as people thought it should be. That's because after a lost decade, many former diehard fans had moved on while the casual fans were skeptical. Now after 3 years of success, there's been a steady increase in diehard fans while casual fans are paying attention as they're curious if the success can be sustained.

Conventional wisdom is that the team would struggle early. Now that they've survived their first 2 games, there is optimism that Crews' and his overhauled roster featuring talented freshmen can outperform expectations.

re: NIT talk

Who gives a sh1t about the NIT? Yes, I realize there is value in getting the extra games, but there's only 1 postseason tournament worth getting excited about. The difference between the NIT and the NCAAs is likely 2 quality wins. If we can make 1, we can make the other.

Making the NCAA tournament should be the goal for this team - although they certainly don't need to make the dance for this to be a successful season. The true measure for this team should be the development of the young core. If they end up making the Not Important Tournament in the process, fine - but talking NIT in November is a losers mentality.

re: Big East

They're waiting to see how the program does without the Majerus core - as any of us would, if we were in their position. Assuming this season goes well, we'll be at the top of the list when they decide to expand to 12.

re: playing at Scottrade

The only reason you'd play at Scottrade is to schedule a Blue Blood that won't play us at the Fetz. Kentucky, KU, Duke, etc... would rather play us in a 20k venue where they can bring a large contingent of their own fans, and diminish the home court advantage. If we can get one of those Elite programs to play us at Scottrade, we should take the deal.

Not Mizzou. Not Illinois. We should hold out for straight up Home and Home series with those programs.

Certainly not conference opponents that are required to play us anyway. If you let Georgetown et al bully you into agreeing to some BS like that as part of negotiations to join the conference, that's a terrible precedent to set.