Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically according to this board's current situation, anyone we recruit is a bad basketball player, stiff, Brett Thompson type.

That is not what I think, but I think people are setting themselves up for a let down if they expect the bigs we sign to have an impact as freshmen.

Melvin Robinson comes to mind. 7 footer I think?

And a guy named something like Al Matin years ago?

Big Mel had one of the best handles in SLU history: "Big Chill"...asked how it originated, he said "Because I always be chillin" He dominated Luc Longley.

Also, how about David Thomas for another tall white guy whose best attribute was "he runs the floor well."

Is Wyatt Yess another Manning, Gillmann, Jolly, Tyler Griffey or Brad Thompson or is he potentially a high D1 player? His sister was a good high school player and I'm hoping he will be as good a D1 player as she was a high school player. If we are recruiting him I hope he's not a project.

Doowop.

The others are correct. Yess is a very good athlete. In fact, he may be better at football than he is at basketball and that comment is not intended as a knock on his basketball skills. Unless he changed positions to fill a need on the varsity team, he is been a very good tight end -- a big strong target over the middle, excellent blocker and great hands.

As to basketball, I have watched him twice (last year as a Frosh) and he was athletic and could score. While I never watched Manning,etc. in high school, I cannot imagine JM doing much other than the basics -- strong rebound, dunk, wide open shot and FTs. Yess, on the other hand, created open looks, got himself open, too a dribble or two, changed hands with the ball to get a left handed layup... Yes, Yess can play.

My only question was how tall/big will he end up and what is the normal growth development for a high school Frosh to make to become a high major D1 player.

It should be pointed out that while Conklin was shorter and a year younger than either big we have coming in; he weighed considerably more than Wellmer (3 inches taller than Conk) and the same as Nuefeld (5 inches taller). Conk had a far better developed and far more D1 ready body than either.

I think both recruits have bright futures, but they won't be major contributors as freshman. They just won't have the bodies yet that will be able to handle extended minutes over 30 plus games.

• 1 month later...

It should be pointed out that while Conklin was shorter and a year younger than either big we have coming in; he weighed considerably more than Wellmer (3 inches taller than Conk) and the same as Nuefeld (5 inches taller). Conk had a far better developed and far more D1 ready body than either.

I think both recruits have bright futures, but they won't be major contributors as freshman. They just won't have the bodies yet that will be able to handle extended minutes over 30 plus games.

I am not saying you are wrong but I was thinking that Willie Reed did not have the type of body you are talking about either but he contributed as a freshman.

I am not saying you are wrong but I was thinking that Willie Reed did not have the type of body you are talking about either but he contributed as a freshman.

I agree. Willie showed you don't have to have have that type of body to contribute. If you have skills and quickness you can be thin and wiry and contribute.

I agree. Willie showed you don't have to have have that type of body to contribute. If you have skills and quickness you can be thin and wiry and contribute.

[/quote)

Like Harry Rogers (SLU)and Reggie Williams (Georgetown).