ND Soccer game

SLU won last night very late after a second ball froma corner was buried through traffic by Philip. Came after SLU finally seemed to wake up to their predicament which saw them looking outplayed by Tulsa. Random thoughts that 13 or skip can agree or disagree with:

- Tulsa had more energy, purpose, pace on the ball, willingness, and a desire to win for most the game. Their transition forward was very very quick.

- SLU looked lethargic and out of sync for much of the game. Even with five in the midfield against a 4-4-2, we could not dominate possession there.

- to be fair we did force Tulsa's goalie into a few very fine saves but most of those came late. So It could have been a 3-0 game.

- Tulsa pressed us high and had some big athletic forwards for our back three to contend with. Tulsa tried to go over the early and often and were close to getting a forward in a couple times. SLU either purposefully stayed back because they knew it was coming or they shifted their style after realizing how Tulsa was coming at them. Either way, Slu was not very effective transitioning but Tulsa was a factor.

- manning played well and cut out many opportunities, cleared high balls, or blocked several attempts.

- Not sure what the coaching staff sees in Francisco. He brings little to the center of the field and I hope he's sitting once Tyler is back.

- freshman, Saar, came in after Heskamp came up gimpy late in the game, almost immediately had an impact going forward. Played a beautifully weighted ball over Tulsa to a streaking Hidalgo. Amazingly Hidalgo was pushed to the ground and there was no call which was unbelievable. Anyway Saar looked good although McGinty was barking at him regarding defensive positioning a couple times.

Thanks for the report. Watched most of the 2nd half online. SLU looked out of sync for most of it and looked like we barely crossed into our attacking half of the field until late. Then for the last 10-15min SLU started creating chances. Definitely looked like they could have had 2 or 3 goals in those last few minutes. Compared to what I saw in the ND game, they looked like a totally different team and not in a good way for most of what I saw.

SLU won last night very late after a second ball froma corner was buried through traffic by Philip. Came after SLU finally seemed to wake up to their predicament which saw them looking outplayed by Tulsa. Random thoughts that 13 or skip can agree or disagree with:

- Tulsa had more energy, purpose, pace on the ball, willingness, and a desire to win for most the game. Their transition forward was very very quick.

- SLU looked lethargic and out of sync for much of the game. Even with five in the midfield against a 4-4-2, we could not dominate possession there.

- to be fair we did force Tulsa's goalie into a few very fine saves but most of those came late. So It could have been a 3-0 game.

- Tulsa pressed us high and had some big athletic forwards for our back three to contend with. Tulsa tried to go over the early and often and were close to getting a forward in a couple times. SLU either purposefully stayed back because they knew it was coming or they shifted their style after realizing how Tulsa was coming at them. Either way, Slu was not very effective transitioning but Tulsa was a factor.

- manning played well and cut out many opportunities, cleared high balls, or blocked several attempts.

- Not sure what the coaching staff sees in Francisco. He brings little to the center of the field and I hope he's sitting once Tyler is back.

- freshman, Saar, came in after Heskamp came up gimpy late in the game, almost immediately had an impact going forward. Played a beautifully weighted ball over Tulsa to a streaking Hidalgo. Amazingly Hidalgo was pushed to the ground and there was no call which was unbelievable. Anyway Saar looked good although McGinty was barking at him regarding defensive positioning a couple times.

Agree with SLUBalls on everything he wrote. A little to add

Just 1 game, but I didn't like the 3 on the back line. Looked to me like we ended up compensating by keeping our wide midfielders too far back seeming to have a flat back line of 5.

We just gave them free space until almost the final 3rd, there were many times when we had 10 and a few times 11 players stuffed in 40 yards. Tulsa came at us quickly and with pace the moment they took possession. We seemed flat and deliberate with possession.

A couple of thoughts on players.

Thought karcher looked good at left back with some nice service and played strong defensively.

As much as I like Robbie K I'd like to see him hold the ball and turn with it more often. He seemed to mostly want to just play the ball off with one touch most of the game until the final 15 when he looked dangerous as urgency crept in.

Graydon though very skillful with the ball tends to be too cute with it for my liking. He's very dangerous though with the ball at his feet going forward in space.

Anthony Manning is fantastic. He had 1 play in the 1st half where he misplayed and it almost cost them, but he recovered and made the play. He just always seems to make the right play.

Raymond Lee goes non stop, can't help but like him.

Julian G also looked strong on the back line.

Overall I thought it was a lackluster game. With about 15-20 minutes left we finally got assertive and looked very good.

Unfortunately, I have not been to a game yet, but I definitely appreciate the updates. Please keep them coming.

Athletics did post a video of the goal from Friday night and the three goals from Sunday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlpDiHK_-mc#t=41

Glad to see Kristo score twice on Sunday, but I especially loves those assists. Love the vision and execution by Raymond Lee.

Incidentally, it is looking like my friend who follows the NJCAA was right about Pavisic and his prediction that the Serbian defender would compete for a starting role. 10 starts last year and a start in every game, I believe, this season so far.

Tim Ream at CB right now for the US on NBC Sports against Czech Republic. His first natl team game since 2010.

Very cool.

Over the weekend, I unearthed a Billikens Soccer t-shirt that was given as a gift to my wife. It has signatures from Kyle Patterson, Calum Angus, Ross Kaufmann as well as Tim Ream among others. I wonder if that t-shirt is worth anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Lost 3-2 to uic. We were up 1-0 at halftime but allowed three in second before grabbing a second late. 22 players used last night including two different goalies. Lots of young guys played in second half when uic scored. Manning and David did not play. We were still able to get four corners in second half.

http://www.uicflames.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/082014aab.html

No joking, UIC is very tough. Saw them last year at Valpo and they have some very football savy skilled players.