Recruiting 2012-13

Taj,

I'm paraphrasing, but you said it would be good to get the Ogboda guy because we don't get guys 6'10"

Someone else says Loe and Manning are both over 6"10"

You then proceed to discount them because Loe plays like 6'5" and Manning hasn't played much. Considering Manning doesn't count ... how does this guy? He hasn't played at all for us

You seem to find a way to take the most pesimistic view on every player. I get it, we've all been disappointed numerous times ...

Steve Nash is Canadian. And I believe one of the top 5 recruits in last year's class was a Maple Leafer. Think he went to Texas, but maybe wrong.

Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph plus another guard at UT all from Canada ... eh

-where are 'stellar recruits plentiful and available' to become players for SLU?

-i hope LA and vegas as that is where Rick is spending a bunch of time

-is that aau tourney in stl still on the calendar and will anyone we are looking at be playing?

Loe and Ellis will not find as much room to get their shots off. Both remind a lot of Drew Diener and his speed of release. Both are catch-n-shoot types ....... a pump fake with one dribble will augment their games coniderably, I think. Of course, without a Conklin-esque inside threat, maybe the defense has to stay closer to their men, opening up the driving lanes for Mitchell,

Does anyone else agree w/ Taj's comparison? Drew Diener was slooooow, CE and RL are not slow at releasing the ball, plus they have a huge advantage over DD in height and not many 3's or even 4's can stop them. While neither may have NBA caliber releases, they are a whole lot quicker than DD ever was. Plus I thought we wanted our 3 shooters to be catch and shoot types.

I disagree with the comparison to Diener as well. If anyone has actually watched Ellis and Loe shoot, they will see both of them have quick releases, especially for big men. A recent example of someone with a slow release point was Justin Jordan. He could knock them down, but he had to be WIDE open. Both Loe and Ellis have the ability to catch a pass and release it quick, and have many times had to shoot with a defender closing in or a hand in their face.

Someone will have to explain to me why any of us should care where a player comes from. As long as he can play who cares. What am I missing?

If some geographical place does not offer a ton of recruits or recruits who are not this or that - who cares. I am confused why it matters.

Also, I think there are more players coming from Canada in the past 6 - 8 years than people think.

I guess Taj is forgetting about the entire team of Carleton :)

Loe and Ellis will not find as much room to get their shots off. Both remind a lot of Drew Diener and his speed of release. Both are catch-n-shoot types ....... a pump fake with one dribble will augment their games coniderably, I think. Of course, without a Conklin-esque inside threat, maybe the defense has to stay closer to their men, opening up the driving lanes for Mitchell,

Does anyone else agree w/ Taj's comparison? Drew Diener was slooooow, CE and RL are not slow at releasing the ball, plus they have a huge advantage over DD in height and not many 3's or even 4's can stop them. While neither may have NBA caliber releases, they are a whole lot quicker than DD ever was. Plus I thought we wanted our 3 shooters to be catch and shoot types.

You are spot on - DD was not only slow to release his shot but he was slow a foot also neither of which are true of Loe or Ellis.