Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From someone in the know on Goodwin, "We're blowing it"

I wonder if Crews doesn't like him because he's not tall and thin.

The kid can play, but I'm not sure if he will end up being Donnie Dobbs or Anthony Jones. Both were short sturdy power players similar to Goodwin, although Goodwin is an inch or two taller. Dobbs was one of my all time favorite Billikens. Jones was the St. Louis player of the year, but never ended up being more than a minor conibutor for us.

If he is as interested in SLU as previously reported he is worth the gamble.

Goodwin goes to the basket as good as any area I've ever seen. He is a relentless rebounder. He is far better than Jones was at Vashon.

I agree he could be dobbs. He is at least Roosevelt jones.

If he learns to shoot beyond the lane he will be a high D1 player.

Goodwin goes to the basket as good as any area I've ever seen. He is a relentless rebounder. He is far better than Jones was at Vashon.

I agree he could be dobbs. He is at least Roosevelt jones.

If he learns to shoot beyond the lane he will be a high D1 player.

Why have we not offered?

-I've not seen the Althoff kids play, but if they are this good this close to campus how is it possible we are not all over them?

I thought it was Tatum or bust? The Althoff kids, in 2016 and 2017, are all guards. If we sign Tatum, a skinny 2016 kid like Brendon Gooch never sees the floor his freshman year. You offer Gooch after the Tatum situation plays out.

Jordan Goodwin hasn't grown an inch in a year and a half. Do you offer a 6'3 2017 kid now and hope that his inside game translates to the next level? What if Belleville East's Javon Pickett, who is still growing, surpasses Goodwin as a prospect in the next 12 months? What if Brandon McKissic, who is still growing and is a natural lead guard, does the same? What if Marian Catholic's TJ Smith, who is a 6'6 SF and is just rounding into shape after an injury, reaches his potential this season?

The staff already offered Wyatt Yess months ago because his size and skillset projects as high major. I really like Goodwin's game but I don't have a problem with waiting to see who rises to the top in the 2017 class. But if none of these kids get offered in the next 12 months, that's when I'll have a problem.

I thought it was Tatum or bust? The Althoff kids, in 2016 and 2017, are all guards. If we sign Tatum, a skinny 2016 kid like Brendon Gooch never sees the floor his freshman year. You offer Gooch after the Tatum situation plays out.

Jordan Goodwin hasn't grown an inch in a year and a half. Do you offer a 6'3 2017 kid now and hope that his inside game translates to the next level? What if Belleville East's Javon Pickett, who is still growing, surpasses Goodwin as a prospect in the next 12 months? What if Brandon McKissic, who is still growing and is a natural lead guard, does the same? What if Marian's TJ Smith, who is a 6'6 SF and is just rounding into shape after an injury, reaches his potential this season?

The staff already offered Wyatt Yess months ago because his size and skillset projects as high major. I really like Goodwin's game but I don't have a problem with waiting to see who rises to the top in the 2017 class. But if none of these kids get offered in the next 12 months, that's when I'll have a problem.

The problem is a school like slu can't just pick and choose which kids we want. We need to be in early on the local kids and stay involved and often be one of the first to offer. If that means taking a "risk" by offering a kid like Goodwin then so be it. It's not really that much of a risk at this point either as you can always pull an offer later or pull back your recruiting efforts on him.

The fact Illinois sees enough in Goodwin to offer tells me we have missed the boat on this one.

To further what many on this board have observed, crews seems to (over)value a players height. We went from a skilled team with smaller players like Jett and McCall to a tall team without a lot of basketball skills. I sure hope we aren't passing up on a talented player like Goodwin simply because he doesn't have the right dimensions.

Crews has gone after a lot of taller players but Goodwin's height seems to be right in line with Crawford, Roby, Reynolds, and Bartley. I don't think he is passing up on talent for height as some of those guys were rated decent.

Have the coaches been out there to watch them and talk to the kids? I would be okay if they have been out there watching and keeping a discussion up with them but just haven't pulled the triggered and offered compared to if they aren't even recruiting them.

[quote name="kshoe" post="454392"

It's not really that much of a risk at this point either as you can always pull an offer later or pull back your recruiting efforts on him.

Are we again getting too excited about semantics? What does offer really mean if not binding? That we like a kid? And do we really know if an offer has been made or not made?

To further what many on this board have observed, crews seems to (over)value a players height. We went from a skilled team with smaller players like Jett and McCall to a tall team without a lot of basketball skills. I sure hope we aren't passing up on a talented player like Goodwin simply because he doesn't have the right dimensions.

Those guys were lead guards. Goodwin scores half his points on post ups. The question is, does his game translate to the next level? I think it does but I'm not so confident in the answer that I would offer right this second. How do you think the Althoff program and the AAU coaches would react if Crews retracted the offer a year from now?