Cotto at SLU Game

moytoy12

I see Nate has a story on Cotto being at SLU's game v. Dayton. Seems like he got to see a decent game by the Bills and how he could contribute. Without divulging all of Nate's story and grades aside, does anyone have any thoughts on Cotto's likelihood of coming to SLU? 10% chance? 40%?

, does anyone have any thoughts on Cotto's likelihood of coming to SLU? 10% chance? 40%?

I have no inside knowledge, other than seeing his name ALOT on the Illini boards I frequent. Perhaps Illinois is the greatest competition, although I would assume there are many schools sniffing around...

I have no inside knowledge, other than seeing his name ALOT on the Illini boards I frequent. Perhaps Illinois is the greatest competition, although I would assume there are many schools sniffing around...

Yep, it sure seems like he is starting to get some bigger schools' interest. RM better sell the hell out of that Andre Miller story.

I see Nate has a story on Cotto being at SLU's game v. Dayton. Seems like he got to see a decent game by the Bills and how he could contribute. Without divulging all of Nate's story and grades aside, does anyone have any thoughts on Cotto's likelihood of coming to SLU? 10% chance? 40%?

50% if the big dogs don't offer.

If the likes of Nova and WVU keep calling less than 10%

Guest BillikenReport

Cotto is either taking his ACT or should get his first results back soon.

I've heard now his grades are OK, but that contradicts what I heard a month or two ago.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

- Nate

I've heard that his AAU or high school (in Miami) coach got hired on at LaSalle U. in Philadelphia, and they might be in on him as well. He spent last week on recruiting trips out east.

I went to watch the game vs Edwardsville on Friday, and he was wearing a SLU tee shirt before the game. That game was sloppy for him, as Edwardsville was doubling and tripling him every time. His stat line is very unimpressive, but one positive is that he didn't force anything. He stayed within their offense, and ended up only taking 11 shots.

I've heard that his AAU or high school (in Miami) coach got hired on at LaSalle U. in Philadelphia, and they might be in on him as well. He spent last week on recruiting trips out east.

I went to watch the game vs Edwardsville on Friday, and he was wearing a SLU tee shirt before the game. That game was sloppy for him, as Edwardsville was doubling and tripling him every time. His stat line is very unimpressive, but one positive is that he didn't force anything. He stayed within their offense, and ended up only taking 11 shots.

That would certainly explain the LaSalle offer. Sounds like SLU and Illinois are the other two schools to offer.

Not that it means much, but recruits have been sitting behind the bench for more years than I can remember but I don't remember any of them ever wearing a SLU t-shirt.

He sounds like he'd be an outstanding get for SLU so lets hope RM can make it happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Take this however you want.

From a post from the belleville bobber on SalukiTalk.net:

talked to the alton people today. we are not on cotto's radar. he's hoping for kentucky, but illinois or SLU are more likely. there are also grade issues to be settled. very intriguing player, and a prolific scorer.

but we'll be set at point guard for a long, long time.

Guest BillikenReport

makes me wonder if any academic issues might stem from the fact that English appears to be his second language.

That's what I heard originally, but I've also heard he could qualify.

- Nate

I saw him interviewed on Channel 4 news the other night. Kid has a thick accent - makes me wonder if any academic issues might stem from the fact that English appears to be his second language.

Maybe we can get him and hoophead into an English as a second laguage program.

it is disappointing to see our competition might be the illini. judging by some of the ACT miracles that coach zook has performed, i am convinced that the illini are the equivilent of the accademic wizard of oz.

Broy

I saw Cotto play at OTHS Friday night and as you said a couple weeks ago, he is the real deal. He played quite well even though he had the flu. He didn't start at the beginning of the game or the 2nd half. Without him Alton struggled. He didn't take many outside shots. Got most of his points driving to the basket. Good passer and had a bunch of steals. Leverette did beat him off the dribble several times though.

For those who not seen him he is not real tall but is built solid, as in strong.

I am surprised Illinois is after him. Most of the commitments they have for the next 2 years are guards, I think. Plus they are losing Pruitt and Randle. I would think they would need to find some help up front, but what do I know.

Broy

I saw Cotto play at OTHS Friday night and as you said a couple weeks ago, he is the real deal. He played quite well even though he had the flu. He didn't start at the beginning of the game or the 2nd half. Without him Alton struggled. He didn't take many outside shots. Got most of his points driving to the basket. Good passer and had a bunch of steals. Leverette did beat him off the dribble several times though.

For those who not seen him he is not real tall but is built solid, as in strong.

I am surprised Illinois is after him. Most of the commitments they have for the next 2 years are guards, I think. Plus they are losing Pruitt and Randle. I would think they would need to find some help up front, but what do I know.

The way he is built and the stlye of his game seems like a clone of a former A-10 guard Jameer Nelson. Is that a fair comparison? I havent seen him play

nelson is a far better dribbler and defender.

to keep it a billiken comparision, i would say he is built like randy pulley, shoots like claggett and passes like h.

but he is an average dribbler imo and i too wasnt all that impressed with his defense. danny lisch had his highest scoring night of the season that night with cotto guarding him. i am sure with cotto being sick leaverette definitely could get by him.

that said, he had two outstanding clean picks of lisch near the end of the game that sealed the game.

it is disappointing to see our competition might be the illini. judging by some of the ACT miracles that coach zook has performed, i am convinced that the illini are the equivilent of the accademic wizard of oz.

Couple of things, roy. First Illinois is absolutely no competition for Cotto. Illinois only has one scholarship left through the 2010 season. Illinois needs a big man like Griffey or Jack Cooley. No room at guard. Next year, Illinois will add Jamar Smith and Alex Legion. The following year, Illinois brings in three guards who are in the top 60 in DJ Richardson, Joseph Bertrand and the best player in Illinois in that class in Brandon Paul. The following year, Illinois brings in the best two players in Illinois in top 5 national prospect Jereme Richmond and Crandall Head, the second best player in Illinois in that class and Luther Head's little (6-5) brother. Some Illinois fans got excited over Cotto even though they have never seen him play. If Cotto came to Illinois, he would be behind McCamey, Smith, and Legion his first year (not to mention this year's second leading scorer Trent Meacham). Then all the other guys would come in the next year. Cotto will not be at Illinois.

As for your slam on the football program, Illinois has had zero problems with players qualifying. Illinois has the strictest entrance requirements in the Big Ten after Northwestern and also finished second to Northwestern in graduation rate. And, of course, you know that Zook has nothing to do with ACT/SAT scores. Why would you make disparaging remarks about someone when you have no facts to back it up?

Combes is right - Illinois neither needs Cotto, nor can they fill their final schollie for three years with yet another guard.

Cotto is not the fastest player, but he is a very servicable PG who actually is a good spot up outside shooter, and he can create on drives to the basket. neither of which Polk can do. We need to get multiple PGs in the pipeline quickly so teams can't slap a press on us and win games in the first half in coming seasons.

Combes is right - Illinois neither needs Cotto, nor can they fill their final schollie for three years with yet another guard.

Cotto is not the fastest player, but he is a very servicable PG who actually is a good spot up outside shooter, and he can create on drives to the basket. neither of which Polk can do. We need to get multiple PGs in the pipeline quickly so teams can't slap a press on us and win games in the first half in coming seasons.

Something doesn't add up. Combes and Sheltie say Illinois doesn't need or want Cotto yet Cotto said he has an offer from Illinois. Now maybe he is mistaken and doesn't really have an offer in hand but if we suppose that he really does have an offer how do Combes and Sheltie explain the offer?

KShoe, where did I say Illinois does not want Cotto? I said they don't need him - they need a big man to fill their final open schollie.

Why do you want to pick a fight over a hypothetical, and misstate what I wrote?

If Cotto says he has an offer from Illinois, that's fine. He can represent whatever he wants. It wouldn't surprise me to see Illinois offer five or six big men over the next 18 months. I know straight from the Peoria coaches on the staff their priority is big men, big men, and big men to fill the final slot. They are chasing Plumlee, the big from Chicago, and our favorite forward in WCo right now. Cotto would end up being deep on the end of the bench at Illinois for the next four years, IMO.

KShoe, where did I say Illinois does not want Cotto? I said they don't need him - they need a big man to fill their final open schollie.

Why do you want to pick a fight over a hypothetical, and misstate what I wrote?

If Cotto says he has an offer from Illinois, that's fine. He can represent whatever he wants. It wouldn't surprise me to see Illinois offer five or six big men over the next 18 months. I know straight from the Peoria coaches on the staff their priority is big men, big men, and big men to fill the final slot. They are chasing Plumlee, the big from Chicago, and our favorite forward in WCo right now. Cotto would end up being deep on the end of the bench at Illinois for the next four years, IMO.

I'm not trying to pick a fight but I'm still not understanding what you are saying. You say bigs are the priority and everyone seems to agree that Illinois only has one scholly to give over the next 3 years. If that is the case, how can they even offer a guard like Cotto? What if he said yes? then they can't take any of the bigs or do they start booting people off the team? If they have no interest in another guard why are they even bothering with him? Something doesn't add up. Maybe what you really want to say is that Cotto dosn't really have an offer from Illinois but again I'm not sure.

Why would you make disparaging remarks about someone when you have no facts to back it up?

since i am not going to give my source, i will apologize and take back my earlier statement about coach zook. i have no public reason to have made that remark and was wrong to do so. good luck to the illini.

Thicks got it right - Illinois is doing what I call contingency recruiting, out of necessity. They lost their coveted 5 star SG when he decommitted two days before the signing period, and their A- fallback honored his commitment to OSU, where he has scored 17 and 12? in the two games against Illinois this year. Their emergency signee SG never made it to enroll, so their SG for the year went 5 star to 4 star to 3 star to walkon, and their season is in the gutter. If Illinois does not ink a big man this recruiting year, they will have the option/chance to sign a PG that is incrementally better than their current starting PG.

It is strange in a way, but we are competing a lot with Illinois and Indiana for recruits these days(Alexander, Tisdale, Stemmler, Roth, Cotto, Lisch.) The big difference is the B10 schools are grabbing the majority of the players to backfill their reserves, while we are targeting the players for starting slots. Cotto will be the same type of player recruited for the same reasons.

As of three weeks ago, Illinois had not offered Cotto. They have a huge logjam of big men right now, with Cole, Semrau, Tisdale, Alexander, Davis, and Carwell all underclassmen. Next year they get Simpson(gig) Smith and Legion(guards.) The following two years are Bertrand, Richardson, and Paul, followed by Richmond and Head - all guards. Their recruiting classes are way out of whack with the last two years garnering five bigs and one guard, and the next three years garnering one big and six/seven guards(some count Smith as a "recruit" coming of a suspension redshirt.)

We have the same problem, only exacerbated by leaving schollies open, and players leaving. With our current roster and the players we add next year, we have a pronounced need for a banger and a PG - the same two critical needs most every team has.