Conklin Summer

@bizz -- attababy attack the speculation! The point is Majerus had an innate knack for seeing talent under the surface, Crews has shown no such talent. And Majerus could develop talent -- Conklin, Evans, Jett, Mitchell, Loe, Ellis, etc. Crews has developed no one. He couldn't developDrew. He couldn't develop McBroom into a point. He couldn't develop Lancona into a forward. He couldn't (as of yet) develop Agebko into an American basketball player. he couldn't develop a bench (two years ago). He couldn't develop a starting team (last year). I'll dropmy "Majerus was gone" speculation just as I'll drop my "Jett will transfer" speculation. Thgere will never be an answer until the man rises from the dead and tells us all himself.

And I disagree with 13, the Crews era did not start last year, it started in his interim year when he rode Majerus' talent and did nothing to support it. Okay, we'll cut him slack for that year a little. Majerus was coming back. He wasn't named coach until late in the process while Larry lolled in Asia. Whatever you want to callit. Still, last season, he reaped what he had sown with no Majerus bump because Manning and Glaze, Majerus' last two contributions were weak and limited.

Jimmy Crews will rise up and star --- just as he did at Evansville. Just as he did at Army. And there shall be great rejoicing across all Billikenland.

Taj - The sophs-to-be class is Crews's first full class. The Crawford/Agbeko/Lancona was somewhat of a piecemeal class based on the situation. I'd compare that class to a coach's first spring class the spring he is hired. If you get anything out of it, it is gravy.

I'm not sure you can really judge his recruiting at this point. At the very most you are judging a huge freshman class and a sophomore class that played limited minutes as freshmen.

Reggie will be unstoppable this year. A_bomb is 100% right about werewolfishness and RA has a 55 gallon drum full of werewolfishness that he'll unleash this coming year. No more badmouthing Reggie or I'm sending A_bomb in to take you out.

The only thing that concerns me about Reggie is that he might eat Jolly at practice one day. Actually, that doesn't concern me at all.

Offer that kid at least a preferred walk on spot. Class of 2034.

He daddy ought to be coach by then.

Not even kidding. Anyone who saw him working with the younger players, and even kids during the open-houses could see he has a knack.

He daddy ought to be coach by then.

Not even kidding. Anyone who saw him working with the younger players, and even kids during the open-houses could see he has a knack.

-I could see Conklin on our sidelines someday

Agbeko? Looks the part ....... but on a frontcourt weak team for the last two years, the results don't impress me. I am surprised to see nick give up on him as nick is always rosier than I. I haven't quite given up but I am not expecting much. Same things were said about Glaze and Manning this time last year. And I'd cut him a break if he was only defensive/rebounding --- ala Mo Alie-Cox at VCU. He seems to have the nose for rebounding at least. But my argument is that you can't have that on this team -- where scoring is suspect to say the least.

And I don't share the opinion that Crews has one class under his belt. He had to be ddeply involved with the juniors-to-be, from either himself or the staff. And ultimately, that staff, Crews' staff, made the recommendations and made the offers. I hope he changes luck withe these three new guys but I am not expecting that to be the case. We shall see, that's all.

And you or I or Doc B can all go to the gym, and watch Reggie "eat" Jolly all summer and fall if we want to. That'll willlikely come with tons of accoldaes and extrapolations for the season tocome. But I heard that frommany people on many players --- roy on Chris Sloan for example --- and the one thign we always seem tomiss is the competition. Brett Jolly is not Justin Tillmon, Kendall Pollard, or DeAndre Bembry. Just not, just saying.

And I hope you are right and I am wrong.

I do not disagree basketbill ---- my question would be how much real input and how much real devotion did he have in those guys? And don't be confused -- Majerus had a whole bunch of swings, misses and whiffs. Cotto. Thompson. Smith. Jordan. That led to the cutting of players, the practrice which some find distasteful. And he also cut Anthony Mitchell and Knollmeyer and Maguire when he came on board. I understand he told Marcus Relaphord he was going to be used in a way Relaphord did not care for; Relaphord went to Colorado. No one bats 1.000.

Majerus' last recruting class was Carter and Drew. And if memory serves, he got Carter at the initial signing period but I can't recall when he got Drew. The class before that was Manning and Glaze. It is my contention that the real rift with Biondi and Majerus began when the "situation" erupted and Majerus lost arguably his two best players for 2010-11. At that point, I and some others believe, his course was charted --- he was ending his run with this buffoonish President who talked the athletics talk but didn't walk that walk. So he half-heartedly signs Manning and Glaze. He likes and is intrigued by Carter --best guard since Andre Miller if I recall --- so he's happy with that. And maybe he says "sure, c'mon board" to McBroom as well. Again, I contend his master plan is unaffected by these people. Carter is a "just in case" safety blanket.

But he gets sick prior to that season and Crews is given the interim reins. Carter, now without the guy he signed with, bolts mid first term. Drew redshirts. Majerus dies in December 2012. Drew is evaluated by Crews and found to have no real role on the team. He is cut. Majerus' involvement in recruiting that whole year is non-existent; he's dying and facing more important things. So to me, the whole 13-14 freshmen class is on the current staff. That's Lancona, Agbeko and Crawford. They are so not ready, Crews has to run the seniors into the ground to accomplish what he does. But there is no development of those new kids. Heck, we don't even know if there is talent to develop.That is all on Crews and the clock on the Crews era has started. He may have been "the man" for Carter and Drew but we'll let that slide for now. Yacoubou said he liked what he saw with SLU when we beat him and Nova in Anaheim under Majerus in Conklin's senior year of 2010-11 when he was a freshman at Nova. He remembers that and he likely thinks that's our norm despite the coaching change and Majerus' health. So he signs on probably thinking more about Majerus than more about Crews. But again, sincerely doubt Rick had any real hand in Yacoubou involvement. But anybody would take Ash as a former four-star recruit. So it's not really a gamble.

Then this year's six recruits are all on the current staff. So out of the 13 "newbies" since Majerus went ill, I think Majerus gets partial/full credit for one --- Carter. And say what you want about him and Valpo but I think he would have been real good under Majerus. All the rest? Crews. Nothing really on Crews for McBroom and Yacoubou. Not his doing. He missed on Drew. He missed on Lancona. He is currently missing on Agbeko. Crawford and Roby are passable. Yabroud has talent but the jury is still out. Same with Bartley. Jolly, Gillmann and Reynolds? Not impressed just yet. Neufeld, Welmer and Bishop? The track record can only go up becuase if itgoes down ................ no comment.

Majerus had a knack but he was not infallible. I don't think Crews has the same knack (few do) but I also don't see Crews and staff developing the talent he gets either. Who teaches the point guards? Bronson? Platt? Cheaney? Crews? Who teaches the bigs? Bronson? Platt? Cheaney? Crews? So

there's no warm and fuzzy in my Crews' warm and fuzzy.

What players did RM lose in 2010-11 due to a rift with Biondi? Never heard this before.

I've already completely given up on Reggie (Go see my angry typing in gameday threads). I would be more encouraged if he was a normal sophomore, but he is 22 years old. His coordination is just not there and he travels every time he touches the ball.

It's June, so I hope he is working on his big man game and does not think he is going to catch it at the top of the key and drive to the hoop.

Right now I really just want him to provide Grandy Glaze value (but with a good attitude).

So you wnt him hurt half the time - I do understand your point though and I would not disagree

Agbeko? Looks the part ....... but on a frontcourt weak team for the last two years, the results don't impress me. I am surprised to see nick give up on him as nick is always rosier than I. I haven't quite given up but I am not expecting much. Same things were said about Glaze and Manning this time last year. And I'd cut him a break if he was only defensive/rebounding --- ala Mo Alie-Cox at VCU. He seems to have the nose for rebounding at least. But my argument is that you can't have that on this team -- where scoring is suspect to say the least.

And I don't share the opinion that Crews has one class under his belt. He had to be ddeply involved with the juniors-to-be, from either himself or the staff. And ultimately, that staff, Crews' staff, made the recommendations and made the offers. I hope he changes luck withe these three new guys but I am not expecting that to be the case. We shall see, that's all.

And you or I or Doc B can all go to the gym, and watch Reggie "eat" Jolly all summer and fall if we want to. That'll willlikely come with tons of accoldaes and extrapolations for the season tocome. But I heard that frommany people on many players --- roy on Chris Sloan for example --- and the one thign we always seem tomiss is the competition. Brett Jolly is not Justin Tillmon, Kendall Pollard, or DeAndre Bembry. Just not, just saying.

And I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Well Manning never did amount to much in any consistent way. Grandy did contribute some even if it was somewhat limited.

I've already completely given up on Reggie (Go see my angry typing in gameday threads). I would be more encouraged if he was a normal sophomore, but he is 22 years old. His coordination is just not there and he travels every time he touches the ball.

It's June, so I hope he is working on his big man game and does not think he is going to catch it at the top of the key and drive to the hoop.

Right now I really just want him to provide Grandy Glaze value (but with a good attitude).

What do you mean by Grandy Glaze value?

I mean a hustler, who makes lay ups, rebounds and is tough. The pinnacle of Grandy at SLU is my hope for Reg

Grandy never really did those things though.

Grandy never really did those things though.

Except, he did, for the most part. His junior year, his total rebounding percentage was 19.9%, by far best on the team. He averaged 13.9 rebounds per 40 minutes. which was well above Evans' 8.8 and Loe's 8.2. His defensive rating of 86.1 per 100 possessions was tops on the club that year as well.

This isn't to say that Glaze didn't have his deficiencies (he had those in spades), but he did at least grab boards, was tough and hustled. That much cannot be denied.

i wonder how much is inflated by high Non-conference stats?

That's the root of the Glaze debate. His overall numbers say he was a monster on the boards when he was on the floor. His detractors look at the lack of minutes in conference and see a totally different player.

Grandy put up strong rebounding totals against the likes of Oral Roberts and Vandy. He proved he could rebound against solid competition. But we were a better offensive team when his minutes were limited, that's all.

If only GG were from St. Charles, Washington Mo or a small town in Illinois... in Billikenland he would have been praised for his heart and hustle.

If he were from WashMo, he would've been a great free throw shooter. WashMo values FTs. I think it's in their town motto.