Changes in Branding for Athletics

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. The current font wasn't terribly outdated like some schools, but it definitely needed a refresh. Although you'd think there would have been (still could be) a bigger roll out to it?

I am assuming the soccer shield is just that - a shield for soccer. I'm not sure that would translate over to anything else.

I haven't been to slubillikens.com lately, but the old italicized fonts seem to be stripped in favor of just a Billiken head on the page headers. But again, maybe that has been done long ago.

I think you are right on - this is just the shield for soccer.

We are a nationally recognized soccer program. While we haven't had great success lately we are still a top 25 school and always will be. 10 national championships no matter when they were attained is noting to sneeze at and should be celebrated always.

I like the new logo and script.

Someone told me "#BillikenWay" was the new slogan for the basketball team this season (like #BillikenTime last year). Hoping to God that is not true.

-if they put it in paint I would suspect the ADept uses it somewhere

-bball team is not the only team walking that corridor so could be for the whole dept

-time is better than caring

Count me in the "Way" and "Nation" slogans being lame and overused. But I like the new script better than the old one.

SLU could replace "BFIB" with "OFIB" to pay tribute to the oldest fan base in basketball. Where "Leaving early to beat traffic" means "Getting in line early for the golf cart ride back to the garage."

My style is not to comment and run away, but to answer those who question the statements. So here goes:

To my darling For-Da Love: I do **** when we are not successful but when I bring up historical facts and compare them to current events like Ekker and Grawer and Varner, etc., I'm told by other lovers that the past means nothing nowadays. Yet quoting from history that is four decades old is okay? Okay. Dipshit. Guilty.

To the snuggle bug formally known as thicks: again guilty. Grumpy Old Man. Maybe I'll make amovie or two named that way. Ooops.

To skippy-poo: yep. Pretty immaterial when I'm counting in terms of what have you done for me lately? Same counting scheme as UCLA basketball. I have to admit, it's a shallow way of counting but if you ain't the winner, you really finished tied for last, right? Nobody really discusses the Buffalo Bills dynasty of the early 90s now do they? Four straight Super Bowls. Four straight losses. An incredible feat but still no trophies. It's harsh but that the way it is. I guess I have to count 1974 because we lost in what appears to be the final to Howard that year. Since that finals loss, we have gone a collective 23 - 32 in the NCAAs with 19 of those wins coming at home. Looksliekythe soccer Bills haven't cleared the second tround since 2003. They last made the semifinals in 1997 and prior to that in 1991. Only a semi-final appearanc ein 1983 separates the preevious years since 1974. So, whielnot a forgotten name in the annuls of the sport, one that stirs no more pomp and circumstance on the national radar, just liek the Howard team thatbeat them in 1974. Meh.

If nobody can remember when did when really happen? Hey -- I'm proud of our history but I actually see it as a millstone given we haven't come really close ever since that magnificent ten year run.. Kind of like San Francisco having Bill Russell. Indiana State having Larry Bird. Jacksonville having Artis Gilmore. Dinosaurers roaming the earth.

And for the younguns out there, who did we beat for those titles? 1959 = Bridgeport. 1960/1962 = Maryland. 1963 = Navy.1964 = Michigan State. 1967 = co-champs with Michigan State; beat Navy to get there. 1969 = San Francisco. 1970/1972/1973 = UCLA. Who broke our run of titles from 1959 through 1963? Mighty West Chester out of Pennsylvania. I guess maryland an dUCLA are still big boys today. I think our luster islong gone, that's all.

My style is not to comment and run away, but to answer those who question the statements. So here goes:

To my darling For-Da Love: I do **** when we are not successful but when I bring up historical facts and compare them to current events like Ekker and Grawer and Varner, etc., I'm told by other lovers that the past means nothing nowadays. Yet quoting from history that is four decades old is okay? Okay. Dipshit. Guilty.

To the snuggle bug formally known as thicks: again guilty. Grumpy Old Man. Maybe I'll make amovie or two named that way. Ooops.

To skippy-poo: yep. Pretty immaterial when I'm counting in terms of what have you done for me lately? Same counting scheme as UCLA basketball. I have to admit, it's a shallow way of counting but if you ain't the winner, you really finished tied for last, right? Nobody really discusses the Buffalo Bills dynasty of the early 90s now do they? Four straight Super Bowls. Four straight losses. An incredible feat but still no trophies. It's harsh but that the way it is. I guess I have to count 1974 because we lost in what appears to be the final to Howard that year. Since that finals loss, we have gone a collective 23 - 32 in the NCAAs with 19 of those wins coming at home. Looksliekythe soccer Bills haven't cleared the second tround since 2003. They last made the semifinals in 1997 and prior to that in 1991. Only a semi-final appearanc ein 1983 separates the preevious years since 1974. So, whielnot a forgotten name in the annuls of the sport, one that stirs no more pomp and circumstance on the national radar, just liek the Howard team thatbeat them in 1974. Meh.

If nobody can remember when did when really happen? Hey -- I'm proud of our history but I actually see it as a millstone given we haven't come really close ever since that magnificent ten year run.. Kind of like San Francisco having Bill Russell. Indiana State having Larry Bird. Jacksonville having Artis Gilmore. Dinosaurers roaming the earth.

And for the younguns out there, who did we beat for those titles? 1959 = Bridgeport. 1960/1962 = Maryland. 1963 = Navy.1964 = Michigan State. 1967 = co-champs with Michigan State; beat Navy to get there. 1969 = San Francisco. 1970/1972/1973 = UCLA. Who broke our run of titles from 1959 through 1963? Mighty West Chester out of Pennsylvania. I guess maryland an dUCLA are still big boys today. I think our luster islong gone, that's all.

Lucky for the majority of the world they don't see things as you do. If they did, it'd be a sad, sad world. You either win it all or you tied for last. Don't know why you bother to watch the Basketball Bills unless you honestly believed they were going to win the National Championship. Maybe that's why you are a grumpy old man ... your schools basketball team has finished in last place for your entire life.

Regardless of how you see it, the reality in the college soccer world is that SLU is a player on the national scene.

Regardless of how you see it, the reality in the college soccer world is that SLU is a player on the national scene.

I really don't care that much about SLU soccer at this point, but I would be curious to know how we are perceived nationally. Since I was a student beginning in 2001 we have had a number of quality players and teams, but have not been elite (again not a huge follower of soccer, so that may not be accurate). Again, I could not say with confidence who the elite soccer programs are, so this is not me taking a shot at the soccer program, just curious where we stand. Also, looking at the roster, I see a number of foreign players (pretty cool to look at the roster and see players from Germany (4), England, France, Ireland, Serbia, Senegal, and Bermuda) and only a few St. Louis kids. Is St. Louis soccer no longer as great as it used to be?