Changes in Branding for Athletics

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-from my purely non-scientific observations the number of people wearing SLU gear has increased a great deal, however we are still quite a large way behind Mizzou but the gap has narrowed so to get more SLU gear in area stores would require more people to buy it

-I was back to Macy's yesterday and the SLU only section was gone, i hope because it bought, and the remainder was on a rack with Mizzou stuff and the SLU stuff was Nike t-shirts, Antigua polos and 6 hat varieties

They are SELU. I just checked. I think the sports networks are the ones who get it confused.

ETA: Their radio station is KSLU however. So there's that.

Sidenote: in 2004, their attorneys contacted KSLU (ours, the original) and threatened a ceast & desist on us, which was hilarious, considering Hammond, Louisiana is situated east of the Mississippi River. KSLU would be an appropriate call signal for Saint Louis University, where WSLU would work for their school. However, I think something was worked out and both schools went on to pump out today's best music 10-in-a-row commercial-free.

Sidenote: in 2004, their attorneys contacted KSLU (ours, the original) and threatened a ceast & desist on us, which was hilarious, considering Hammond, Louisiana is situated east of the Mississippi River. KSLU would be an appropriate call signal for Saint Louis University, where WSLU would work for their school. However, I think something was worked out and both schools went on to pump out today's best music 10-in-a-row commercial-free.

When I worked for SLU radio it was KBIL and they were asked by a Billings, MT station to change. So, the radio station was KBIL for a while before it changed to KSLU in the early 80's.

When I work for SLU radio it was KBIL and they were asked by a Billings, MT station to change. So, the radio station was KBIL for a while before it change to KSLU in the early 80's.

Those bastards! :angry: What would Adrian Cronauer do?! He'd keep rockin!

I like the idea of making it stronger, fiercer.

I am not expecting an Oregon caliber transformation, but I am eager and hopeful that the consulting firm and AD will move us forward, to a new big time level.

We shall see.

It is not logical moytoy, but a change in colors, font styles, avatar image, and "company" statement (ie. like in this is what we are or what we believe in) does help a lot. Companies stock price go up after a rebranding simply because people look at them in a different way, or should we say a more positive way. It does work, SLU may well benefit from this exercise (in terms of donations and recruitment for example).

It is not logical moytoy, but a change in colors, font styles, avatar image, and "company" statement (ie. like in this is what we are or what we believe in) does help a lot. Companies stock price go up after a rebranding simply because people look at them in a different way, or should we say a more positive way. It does work, SLU may well benefit from this exercise (in terms of donations and recruitment for example).

I completely agree, it can have a powerful effect, IF they come up with the right approach.

We are due for a good rebranding campaign that ties old tradition to a positive, dynamic future.

Here's what I can confirm:

There will be entirely new home and alternate jerseys, and the front will have "Billikens" written on it instead of "Saint Louis"

An artist was instructed to create three completely new and distinct designs for the Billiken logo and they will choose one. Apparently the 2nd and 3rd designs were very "badass" according to a friend. The 2nd was the best according to most of the people that attended the presentation, and it was a fierce looking design. Many are excited about the changes that will be made

Did you hear any timeline for the change? Is it an over the summer thing or after this coming year?

They didn't give a clear timeline, and they also didn't want people taking pictures apparently.

The first mascot option (the worst) was really round and puffy, supposedly looked like the Michelin Man....

this makes me wonder if this is somehow related to all the bad PR from the Ferguson flack last year -- i.e. going away from the STL brand due to the growing concerns nationally about STL as a crime-ridden, hood type environment.

How do people feel about it saying Billikens instead of Saint Louis? I can dig it.

this makes me wonder if this is somehow related to all the bad PR from the Ferguson flack last year -- i.e. going away from the STL brand due to the growing concerns nationally about STL as a crime-ridden, hood type environment.

Going to take a shot in the dark... No

Unless the plan is to change the name of the university, that makes no sense.